Editing... no RTC file produced :o(

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Bilybull
Neophyte

Editing... no RTC file produced :o(

Post by Bilybull »

Hi everybody,

I know RTC for a very long time since I downloaded it some years ago and never really tried it. Maybe because I got "stuck" with CSBWin editing a mini-level before I ran out of time.
So I tried and played with RTC fews days ago, really good job : I only played Dungeon Master for the moment and just take a look at Dungeon Master 2. What I like is the "smoothness" that CSBWin don't have.

Hum, I have two questions :

1°) I tried to modify the dungeon (DM and DM Original) with RTCEditor and save it but it never get modified when I start to play. I figure out that, there is no RTC file produced by the editor when I simply "save" the modifications.
I also tried to make a simple new map with almost nothing in it and save it. All the same, I don't have any .RTC file : only the .TXT one.
I checked the doc and the forum but everybody seem to do it very well. Is there anything I forget to do ? that's natural for anybody ?

2°) Is there possible to grab a dungeon made for CSBWin and to convert it into .TXT and .RTC for RTC-engine ?
These "original" files are .DAT files : mainly dungeon.dat and the other ones.

As RTC goes a lot "away" from the original version of the game, my "third" question is, I assume, out of usefullness : is it possible to convert a .TXT (and thus .RTC ?) file to .DAT files for original Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes back core ?

Thank you a lot and by the way, good work, great forum... I really like the design... feels like... DUNGEON ^__^~

Have fun everybody :mrgreen:
Trego
Artisan

Re: Editing... no RTC file produced :o(

Post by Trego »

1 = you must 'compile' the dungeon first. Open up the Config file, scroll right down to the bottom and

Type:

COMPILE (Tab) Modules/filename

Thats if your txt file is in the modules folder, and note that the spaces between Compile and your file location is a tab.
Check the help file that comes with RTC. To test your dungeon use TEST instead of COMPILE. Take a look at the

'Newbie to the Forum...' posts

2 = to my knowledge, not yet.
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

2°) CSBWin changed the original DM .dat format, specially introducing the DSA. I would say that a CSBWin dungeon that only uses the classic DM features can be converted to .txt. Just need a tool to do this; should ask Paul for it.
Because of DSA, conversion is not straightforward : there is a thread (http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 53&t=28648) about the port of DSA to DSB (hence CSBWin dungeon conversion to DSB).

In the other way .. there would be some losses converting a RTC .txt to .dat, mainly because RTC mechanisms and limits are beyond what original DM/CSB is capable. For that to be possible, your RTC .txt must strictly respect DM/CSB rules and limitations. As for a compiled .rtc file, no way reverting it back to .txt; I don't think George wants that.

I think the problem is more to understand for which system the dungeon is intended for : DM/CSB, DM2, CSBWin, RTC or DSB ...
Last edited by Sphenx on Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

1) Read the EDITING.TXT manual that came with your RTC download.
2) You can't convert RTC to DAT, but you could use DMute 1.4 to open some DATs and convert them to TXT for use in RTC.