Getting started with RTC?

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ferala
Apprentice

Getting started with RTC?

Post by ferala »

First thing I noticed (in RTC) is that there is some part of the graphics missing on the right side of the screen .. the vertical (blue) lines are not visible.

Also the graphics are worse than the version in play in Dosbox and it doesn't play in fullscreen like the Dosbox version. Also it would be nice to remap the movement keys to 4,8,6,2 and the turn keys to 7,9 to give a bit more room for the fingers. Maybe that is configuration. I will look for that.

I see a music note icon (where my dosbox version had none) and it gives a config screen for music, but whatever i choose i hear none.
ferala
Apprentice

Re: DM PC (Dosbox) warcry + positioning

Post by ferala »

Fixed the keys in the config, now trying to see if i can get the resolution and graphics in order.

<edit> hmm i am trying to get full screen resolution for my 1920x1200 screen.
When i do AUTO the intro seems high resolution but in the game it switches to 640x480
When i scale the resolution to 1280x960x32 the graphics are good, but not fullscreen
When i set it to 1920x1440x32 it gets angry and says that the ideal resolution for my system is 640x480x32, hmm
</edit>

<edit>
Hmm settings on 1920x1200x32 has good graphics but the game is very small with a lot of black around it :)
Perhaps i should set it back to 640x480 and accept that as fullscreen.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Getting started with RTC?

Post by Gambit37 »

RTC does not have a scalable fullscreen mode. The game will always play at a resolution of 640 x 480. So the larger you make the screen res, the smaller it will appear. You are better off just leaving it at 640 x 480 and letting your graphics card/monitor scale it up to fill the screen (although this does make it look a little blurry).

I don't agree the graphics of RTC are worse, they use all the original graphics after all! The difference is that RTC can't maintain sharp pixels when you go to full screen, and it also has a different method of scaling distant creatures etc. so they look smoother than the original game.
ferala
Apprentice

Post by ferala »

Hmm k, also the distant tiles seem darker than the version i played last week, but that was also on another monitor.

The trouble with 640x480 is that the right most vertical line seems to be missing. Shall i post a screenshot or do you know what i mean?
ferala
Apprentice

Post by ferala »

I just started the RTC version of DM but something is a bit weird.
I chose Hissssa as my solo party and ran downstairs into the room with the mummy. There i started screaming war cry. This was possible without downtime. However i got some hits and ran back out, closed the gate and continued War cry .. however now i have to wait a second between tries. After few moments i opened the door again and ran in and could spam war cry without problem but after 10 seconds or so it got the 1 -second delay again.
I had full stamina. I am not sure if this is normal behaviour. I will try my dosbox version as well.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Bear in mind that RTC has been programmed from scratch and does not work internally the same as the original. It's been entirely done on "feel" and some things are very different from the original, including the way light is handled and all the fighting and experience mechanics which may or may not work the same as original DM. Monsters also behave differently (they are generally a bit smarter) and it's also harder due to some gameplay balancing issues. It's still "unfinished" too -- good enough to play, enjoy and complete, but not quite completely polished. However, don't let that put you off, it's entirely playable :)

I don't know what you mean about vertical lines missing, yes please post a screenshot.
ferala
Apprentice

Post by ferala »

About this clone not being exactly the same as the original is understandable as it isn't based on the original source. It just seems weird that in this version sometimes i can war cry many times per second and sometimes not even 1 time per second. Not acting the same as the original is something else than not consistent with itself. Also sometimes (happened 2 times) the Hand (attack empty handed) button doesn't respond when i click and 1 second later it works fine again.

About the missing graphics: The blue border around the movement buttons .. the most right vertical line is not visible on my screen while playing. It is as if the right most buttons are not finished drawing. They seem to disappear beneath the black surrounding border. When i printscreen it and paste it into mspaint i suddenly see that missing blue vertical line... but that is in mspaint and not in the game itself.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

No-one knows how George programmed the various attacks to behave. War Cry might be working exactly as he intended ;-)

Seriously though, there's no point worrying about little gameplay differences as (a) there are lots of them in RTC and (b) they are unlikely to be ever changed because the author is no longer working on the project. If on the other hand you think you've found a bug, please report it in the RTC bugs forum. It's now unlikely to ever be fixed, but it's still good to have a record of what people have found, if indeed one day George returns to fix it up.

If part of your image is missing it sounds like your screen isn't calibrated properly. Is your horizontal sizing/position correctly centered?

I forgot to answer your question about music volume. There isn't any music in default RTC DM or CSB. DM2 that's included with RTC has music, as do a lot of other custom dungeons that people have built for it. Check out the Custom Dungeons forum to find the cool stuff. There is a deep level of content on the forum spanning at least ten years -- so there's plenty to get stuck in to :)