RTC editor - must be simple, but can't see it :(

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ayatollah_gnomeini
Neophyte

RTC editor - must be simple, but can't see it :(

Post by ayatollah_gnomeini »

Hello there!
What a lovely discovery this forum is! Too complex for me though, it's a whole new dungeon in itself. It took me 20 minutes to find the 'post new topic' button itself :shock:
Incredible work and enthusiasm, most impressive. Anyway, to make things short - i've actually read the base defaults to avoid asking stupid questions, but sometimes it seems inevitable, it's like missing a secret button in the dungeon :D. I've been playing DM since ever, in cycles, for 20+ years, but this time i've found this site. What a discovery. Now i've seen for the first time that you can be archmaster, never got past the first or second master levels. Since i hate editing my characters directly, i tried to do the following thing with RTC editor - to edit DM_original - on level 9 to add a few additional rat generators in that room to cut short the training time. i copied the settings of the original generator and trigger competely, didnt work. Then i said, ok, let's make it as simple as possible - i took the existing one and simply changed the rat's hit points to 8000, to avoid the constant walking and triggering. Still doesnt work. Checked the 'editing readme' file, added the compile line, for modules/dm_original (at the bottom). no error reports, nothing, 100% clean. yet the rat dies in 3 strokes, i.e. it still has 300 hitpoints. can anybody tell me what i am doing wrong? I tried to save the dm_original.txt under a different name to get a new dungeon to choose with only that one tweak, it passed all the checks, compiles etc., but the menu in rtc.exe never shows it. Obviously i am missing something. Can i do such a small twaek at all or did i miss something really important? If anyone answers, thank you very much!

Greetings from Zagreb, Croatia.
ayatollah_gnomeini
Neophyte

Re: RTC editor - must be simple, but can't see it :(

Correction: Level 8, the so called rat room, not level 9 :P
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to the forums!

If you are trying to alter the dungeon and see the changes in the saved files of the dungeon, that won't work I'm afraid. Much of the dungeon's layout and state is saved in the the save file, so changes to the .txt won't be reflected. You need to change the file, and then play the dungeon from the start.

The filename does not actually determine the displayed name of the dungeon, at least not for the default dungeons. There is a property in the .txt file that gives the name displayed in RTC's menu. If you copy the dungeon.txt and call it another file name, what will happen is the RTC menu will show two instances of DUNGEON MASTER (ORIGINAL) one after the other. One of them the display name of dm.txt, the other of your copied file.

Hope that explains it, sorry you can't really edit your in progress dungeon, but if you care to restart, that hopefully lets you know how to get any altered file to be highlighted.
ayatollah_gnomeini
Neophyte

!
Now that was quick!!!
Thanks a lot, this has saved me a lot of time. Well, restart, i'll wait for another cycle :D Damn but i want those archmaesters :)))
best wishes & until a later post
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I don't know about DSB, but CSBwin allows you to
edit saved games using CSBuild. I think that this
is one of its better features vs RTC.
ayatollah_gnomeini
Neophyte

@Paul: Sounds promising! CSBwin is not only for CSB i presume, but also for DM editing, right? That would save time. A lot. Again :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yes, the Dm dungeon has been converted for CSB. You can even download the package on the encyclopaedia with it all set up for playing DM!