RTC Dungeon Definition File

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ebeneezergude
Expert

RTC Dungeon Definition File

Post by ebeneezergude »

I know George Gilbert has apparently stopped developing RTC a long time ago, but, wouldn't it be good if the dungeon definition file system it uses was actually split up into smaller files? I'd find this incredibly useful.

For example, one file for the dungeon, another file for new wallsets, for new bitmaps, for objects, monsters, etc. Sort of splitting it out and making it modular rather than collecting it all in one big file. On a large custom project I would imagine this file could get hideously complex.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Re: RTC Dungeon Definition File

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

yeah, i keep praying for George to make a showing, never know when that will happen, he must be floating around here every once in a while, will he pop up in the future, i think so, when though, ahhh, couldn't say. i'd work very hard in helping him perfect RTC, i showed up too late on the scene and missed out on the adventure. his engine is totally capable of doing MUCH MUCH MORE than what designers are using to date. got to think outside the box to take advantage of the engine. boy will that be the day when GG shows up :o
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Unfortunately, since George Gilbert hides his last activity there's no way of knowing if he's still lurking around here now, nearly 6 years after he last updated RTC, unless he suddenly posts something.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

He logged in a year ago. His last message was in 2009.
You can get that information from the memberlist and a user's profile.
I think you can assume he's not lurking any more.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

perhaps he is under a different anonymous alias. i know he still dloads examples. we know he has at least one more RTC version that'd i'd love to see and i know you have had a look Gambit, you lucky guy. i am beginning to think maybe he is saving it for his children, who knows...
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

@ Gambit: I can't see when he was last on the forum all I see in that category on his profile is a "-". Maybe it's different for you because you have Admin privileges.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ah, yes you're right: only Admins can see that information:
"Last visited:Sat 12-Jan-13 17:08"

His last post was this one, in 2009, over 4 years ago.
http://dungeon-master.com/forum/viewtop ... 964#p99964

It's safe to assume that George is no longer using the forum -- nor developing RTC -- in any meaningful way.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

I'd say so. Too bad, RTC's a very powerful clone engine and it's capabilities even as it is haven't yet been fully realized by the dungeon designers that have ever designed a dungeon for RTC. A new version that fixed the last few remaining bugs and maybe added a couple of extra features and RTC would be set for some time to come as one of the top DM engine clones of all time.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

yeah, i think the fact that it was designed for anyone to use, not just programmers. that IMO is the reason why it has endured time. i can't wait for the other engines to come up with one as easy to use.

SU, i watched that video of RAS DMT, i couldn't help but notice some similarities to RTC. if he builds it on the RTC engine model of the GUI, I CAN"T WAIT to play with it. i'm thinkiing if GG and RAS got together how that be great for all of DM lovers. i know, wishful thinking.
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Hey, Rasmus doesn't even need GG, he's a great programmer in his own right. Just take a look as what he's done with Dwelvers. That game's already amazing and it's still only in alphas.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

well, if that is so, do you know if the GUI is is similar in function? i mean if it is like what GG has done, i want in. i can help his project if it is based on the same methods, but if it is cut and paste lines of code, forget it. just not into that.

it is so difficult to get together, even with the power of these forums it is still a challenge.
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

I'm not sure if Rasmus is still working on DM stuff, ATM he's full time on Dwelvers. If you haven't tried it I'd definitely recommend it.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

oh, i saw his work. i was never a fan of sims, sim city is what i played, friggin fall asleep with it and wake up the the city has burnt down, everything is on fire :shock:

best sim was warcraft for me... i got good at that, my strategy was tough to beat, i didn't use brute force to win, just a little mage with some trickery :)

too bad about DMT, for that is what i want to see. i can't wait for that to happen, to see a DM class game like DMT with RTCs GUI, i'd be having a field day with it :twisted: :P :lol: for now i'll continue learning the programs that one day a modern game of DM will use.
keep your gor coin handy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

If you're waiting for a modern DM with a cool visual editor, it came out nearly 2 years ago: Legend of Grimrock: http://www.grimrock.net

In fact a sequel is coming soon too!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

cool, yeah, i had a look at that, played it too, just didn't seem like DM. i remember a piece of wood planck, had a hard to using it if i recall. i did not look at the editor though. i must look at it once more Gambit, time has whizzed by, we're getting old. it won't be long before my grandchildren are playing DM style games :) if that editor is anything like the GUI i already know, i could make good use of it.

thanks, i'll have another poke at it.
keep your gor coin handy
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

Legend of Grimrock was very cool indeed. (Needed DM style spells and skills however imho...) Anyone tried Might and Magic X, just out of interest?

Well, back to the original topic of the post, if GG ever came back and did one final, heroic, tweak to the source code, I'd like it to be "split out the definition file"...! I'd buy him a pint if he tweaked it... :D
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

heh, i do more than by a beer :)

i played the MM series up until 8. i enjoyed them, they were a bit too much creature kill, not enough puzzles.

if GG comes back i'll buy him a large keg of beer to start, and if he is still walking after that i'll buy him a barrel of wine, seriously.
keep your gor coin handy