RTC V.50

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

RTC V.50

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I have heard that there is a RTC version .50, has anyone tried it out or tested it. Is it possible to get this version or was it scrapped? If anyone has used it it would be nice to know if it had bug fixes. If possible where can this file be found? What was different about it? Does anyone know about this? I think Gambit had it but could not find this file.
keep your gor coin handy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: RTC V.50

Post by Gambit37 »

I received a private beta of it that fixed a couple of bugs, but it was never fully released by George.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

That's sad :( The bug that is a pain in the butt was the int 119 error. Occurs when saving the game. It happens when some relays that have specific condition that check the mouse or hands. Lost a lot of time over this over the years and it would be great to have that fixed. Did it fix that bug? any information on this or if it can be fixed in some way would really be a saver.
keep your gor coin handy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

No, that bug wasn't fixed, it was only a couple of graphical things that got fixed.

Unfortunately I can't share v0.50 because it's not up to me.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

That's understandable. Perhaps the ghost of RTC will show up, it's the only thing left about RTC. Don't want to seem sick but is GG still around or did something drastic happen? I sure as hell hope not. I'm out of the loop on this and may have missed this somehow. I wish George well.
keep your gor coin handy
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Gosh. I read the title of the thread and thought RTC had just been updated!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Hi ian

It looks like the probability of it being updated is zero chance. A shame though, just getting use to it, have completely screwed with it to the point where the updates are necessary to build on it. So far if you have not somehow had a look at the ai dungeon, that what has been accomplished with the engine is remarkable. The ai is as good as any other current dungeon that I've managed to play. If it were 3d smooth scrolling it would rival some of the new games ai construction. It is so odd that an old game can be built so well with RTCeditor. It puzzles me why GG left, if he's still here on the planet. Sorry to get your hopes up ian, maybe the tooth fairy will put an update under the pillow.
keep your gor coin handy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I seem to recall that RTC was just something GG did to pass the time while at uni (or something along those lines). Now it's years later and other stuff has come up so he's sort of done with RTC. I think the last time I saw him on here was when he popped in briefly a couple of years ago. I'm sure he's fine, just has other things to do these days :).

Maybe you could try and make your own DM engine that does all you want, to save waiting for something that will never be coming?
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

We've had this conversation many times. GG left because he had a new child and didn't want to spend any more time on RTC.

I'm not really sure why anyone would imagine RTC will get updated. It won't. It was a product of its creator's spare time, that's all, so none of us should expect anything beyond that.

I know you love RTC, Chaos Shaman, but you must realise by now that what we have is all it will ever be?

If you want to do cleverer things than the RTC engine can handle, look at DSB or Grimrock.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

That is good to know he's fine. I wish more people could do what he did with his spare time. Coding is not for me, like GG I too have plenty of family that needs my time, but messing with this engine is easy, goes with relaxing while making dinner and glass of wine, it's better than watching TV or reading the newspaper.

Yeah, you're right Gambit, he doesn't care about RTC anymore, family is much more important. What puzzled me in the past was he'd download examples sent to his email. That is weird. Still there is much to be thankful for what he did. As for DSB, that's never going to happen if there is no GUI. I have asked about that and was told there will not be a GUI like RTC, limited. I would love to see that for DSB, make Sophia proud if it were to happen.
keep your gor coin handy
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I can understand George's abandoning the project.
What I cannot understand is his unwillingness to
release the source code to something that no longer
interests him.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Is it unwillingness? At this point, I don't think so. It's not even on his radar.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Well, at some point he made a conscious decision
not to share the source code.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Do you mean source code as in, the coding for the gui, or does it mean the coding for the mechanics that duplicate the original source code for DM?
I'd like to see the gui, with that the mechanics can be figured out. The gui can evolve the source code, without that people who have no coding skills can't improve the engine. Bring the gui and the source will come with it. Looking at a bunch of program language with all the wing dings would do little for anyone that has no coding skills. To some it is easier to see and hear what they want in color and sound. The gui is the building block that ABCers like myself would use. It is easier for some to be creative with color and sound, a blend of the two is what the gui can do, it's up to the programmer to offer that access. To unlock the potential of more people requires that type of access. As they say, it's all Dutch otherwise, no offense to the Dutch. Most of us only speak one language but some smart person decided to create a code for translation if you know what I mean.

Can't anyone else make their own code, or is it George was just a skillful source code magician that nobody has been able to reproduce? Paul, have you thought about creating a gui for non coders? Produce it and see the magic it will bring forth. The potential for an engine to evolve lies within the ability for more people to take part. If that happens you won't be disappointed.
keep your gor coin handy
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

or is it George was just a skillful source code magician that nobody has been able to reproduce?
George was the Superman of GUI-building. No way around it.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

coming from you Paul it must be truth
keep your gor coin handy
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Paul Stevens wrote:George was the Superman of GUI-building. No way around it.
Nothing ever existed before and will never be.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

It is some magic potion, perhaps a spell. When something brings the old urge to look at what they'd created. George remains curious. On the existometer it'd be ghostly, but the results exist.
keep your gor coin handy