ADGE v0.4b available

Use this forum to discuss dungeon editors and other tools, like DMute (by George Gilbert, also working for RTC dungeons), DM Builder (by Sphenx), and ADGE by `rain. Includes DM editing tips and tricks.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
rain`
Artisan

ADGE v0.4b available

Post by rain` »

http://www.uwm.edu/~pjgross/adgev04b.zip

This is a much needed fix for ADGE. Please remember to keep recent backups before using ADGE. Also, when reporting bugs please include what operating system you are running (95, 2k, xp?).

You may also need to install "Microsoft ActiveX Control Pad" on your machine for this to work - b.

Source code is included.

From the readme:

Code: Select all

==============================================================================
  ADGE v0.4b
==============================================================================

Changes in v0.4b:
-Huge overhaul in core graphic routines.  No longer will graphics be displayed by saving a BMP to a file on the hard disk and be loaded into the program.  Everything now is done in memory using BitBlt.  This should give a tremenous increase in speed
-Modified the palette structure to allow for better use of custom palettes and transparency.
-Added more advanced editors for all graphic information.  Graphics are now displayed as they would be in the game.  All graphics displayed are read entirely from the graphics.dat file (Including walls!) with transparency.  Certain editors have a laid out 'grid' on the floor to help with placement of graphics.
-Fixed a few bugs with the import manager when importing/exporting nothing.
-Attempted to fix the bug where progress windows don't disappear (??? I cannot reproduce this at all)

-rain`
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Sounds magnificent! Can't wait to get my machine sorted out so I can have a play with it!
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Thank you for your work. I sitll have the issue with the progress window.
I tried to run v0.4b tens of times on my computer. The progress bar disappeared only once. I noticed the following behavior:
After I select the file to load, the progress bar window appears, it read all items, then "creates bitmaps". Then the progress bar window disappears. the program is "frozen" for 3-4 seconds (with 100% CPU) then the list appears in the main window, and the progress bar window appears again.

The one time I did not have the issue, I did not experience the 3-4 sec delay. Maybe a race condition somewhere?

One radical way of fixing this might be to put the progress bar and text in the status bar at the bottom of the main window, like in many commercial applications do. So no more separate window at all :)

Anyway, this is not an important issue because it does not prevent the tool from running well.
rain`
Artisan

Post by rain` »

I cannot reproduce this, but I will look into it. I have found a memory problem and I'm looking into it now, which may be the cause (and its related to creating the bitmaps), It might fix it in the next version.

BTW: Are you running windows XP, 2k, 95, or?
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I'm running Windows XP SP2 US
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Thought I'd give it a try. Got

FM20.DLL not properly registered; file missing.

Indeed, there is no FM20.DLL on my system.

I don't see any instructions in the last threeADGE threads
about what DLLs might be needed nor where to get them.
rain`
Artisan

Post by rain` »

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=24312

Thats the FM20.DLL thread, I forgot about this issue and I'll see about posting future ADGE's with the necessary files included.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I had a try with my custom graphics.dat and ADGE couldn't load it, it hangs at file 561.
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

i had a try and get same result as Zyx says.
i tried to open graphics.dat of CustomGraphicsDemo7. latest ADGE doesn't support DM version of graphics.dat?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I had a try and it worked well with my heavily modified custom file. No attempt at sound manipulation in this dungeon.

Great work again!
rain`
Artisan

Post by rain` »

Zyx wrote:I had a try with my custom graphics.dat and ADGE couldn't load it, it hangs at file 561.
Wow, this is quite the error. It is a minor bug, fixable in seconds, but it shows something. Kind of strange, but after testing it, it actually is a difference from CSB and DM.

the 561th file contains the clickable button lists for DM/CSB. Anotherwords, boxes on the screen which have an ID number for some sort of function call when clicked. CSB has 4 additional clickable buttons on the viewport, giving it an additional 48 bytes of data on the file! The additions were 4 rectangles covering each of the 4 heroes' life/stamina/mana bars allowing you to left click on the bars themselves and go into the heroes inventory. This feature doesnt exist in DM!

There will be a fix in the patch and it will be released within a few days. If you want this new feature you can probably open up a standard CSB graphics.dat file, export file 561, and reimport it into your other DM-based graphics.dat file. The only thing stored in 561 atm that is editable is the clickable button lists.

-rain`
Doomer

Post by Doomer »

Run-time error '7': Out of memory
W98SE, Athlon XP 2000+, 512MB RAM :)
rain`
Artisan

Post by rain` »

Doomer wrote:Run-time error '7': Out of memory
W98SE, Athlon XP 2000+, 512MB RAM :)
Can you give more specific information as to what you were doing when you ran out of memory?

Thanks.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I suggest in this day and age win98 and it's set resource limit is getting thrashed by the needs of all the programmes running now

I have a barton 3000+ with 1Gb RAM, and windows runs out of resources in a long session
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

The resources business is almost certainly the
fault of the application. One common problem is
forgetting to release Device Contexts. And forgetting
to release memory is something that almost every
application suffers. I even had a program designed to
find such applications which itself forgot to release
memory on rare occasions and finally crashed after
a few months of continuous operation.

Run any interesting program for six months and you
are likely to encounter problems. I would be
hesitant to blame the OS.
rain`
Artisan

Post by rain` »

Yes, ADGE v4 does have a memory problem regarding GDI, I have already fixed it in the current unreleased version. It was a very minor problem but over time can cause havoc on certain pre-2k/xp windows operating systems (which don't flush out old DC's etc). It wasn't actually a problem of forgetting to release memory, but instead 'losing' the location of memory and not being able to release it. You will not experience these problems (hopefully) in the next version. One major issue though is the fact that in ADGEv4b, bitmaps were created upon loading the application (one for the image, and one for the mirrored version). Obviously loading ~1100 or so bitmaps may eat up some resources, so the next version will not be so resource-hogging.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

rain` wrote:There will be a fix in the patch and it will be released within a few days.
up : )
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

Um, where is this patch? I'm stuck at 561.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

having tried adge on the original DM graphics fille it hangs at 561 too. But not my custom one.
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

Candy version for ADGE 04b is available.

*this is UNOFFICIAL ADGE*

EDIT: check later post for DL

CHANGES.txt:
Candy04b:
- Refine for graphics engine part, less GDI resource use.
notes:
  • SND1 support removed.
  • has no setup.
    run Reg_Candydll.bat script to setup candy DLL component.
    this script should run on Windows 98.
  • original DM graphics fille ok.
    i thank to rain` for tweak comments about 561th raw data.
    implementation: read/write 120 buttons (original DM spec) if 561th raw data is 2004 bytes long, otherwise 124 buttons (CSB spec).
  • source code contained for: ADGE, Candy activex DLL.
  • decrase GDI resource use.
    i tweaked source code not to call CreateDIBSection so much times.
    GDI resource costs on demand you see picture by this change.
    implementation: Candy library extended. it performs fast decompression from raw data. it also generates GDI bitmap resource everytime ADGE displays the image.
EDIT: typo fix
Last edited by kentaro-k.21 on Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, it passed the first test - it didn't crash on my Win98 encumbered machine! (Though I hadn't checked the previous download of ADGE so it might have worked alright or I may have missed an install)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, it worked for the most part, so I can fully enjoy it - thanks both of you! I knew I wanted to use it sooner or later, so I guess I'll use it sooner ; )

One problem - I keep gettign a crash, mostly when I'm moving floor/wall decorations in the graphics menu - "Run-time error '-2147467259(800040005)) Convert to BMP ERR! '"

It actually happened before when just looking through the monster monster graphics list section, but consistently crashed moving the footprint graphics around, and then after a few movements of the wall graphics
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

hi!

ok... i could reproduce it on my Windows 98! i got same error when i look around monster graphics list section. resource leak seemed to cause (checked by resource monitor). there is 0% available GDI resource when i got that message. rain should have already fixed it in unreleased version, according to his post.
One problem - I keep gettign a crash, mostly when I'm moving floor/wall decorations in the graphics menu - "Run-time error '-2147467259(800040005)) Convert to BMP ERR! '"

It actually happened before when just looking through the monster monster graphics list section, but consistently crashed moving the footprint graphics around, and then after a few movements of the wall graphics

fixed version is here... (see later post for DL)

FYI: 'Convert to BMP ERR!' causes if CreateDIBSection fails. it means simply GDI resource ran out, otherwise...

reason of vanished SND1 support:
actually, it is "still implemented in 04b yet".
it is that i discarded older source code.
i started with new ADGE 04b source code because i wanted to use clean source code set of ADGE 04b. i preferred to reimplement some limited Candy features on newer ADGE.

an idea, SND1 support in import/export manager:
(i cancelled implement of this feature.)
i have personally implemented it in unreleased version, and it work anyway. but i had difficulties.
they're,

1. confusion with file extension ".dat" and ".wav"
many users should have already tried export all feature. it exports SND1 as raw data. they are xxxxx.dat.
e.g. if ADGE has SND1 support in export manager, and if you try export all again, xxxxx.dat and xxxxx.wav coexist.
how import manager should work? import xxxxx.dat or xxxxx.wav?

2. raw format vs wave format
for example, a user exported SND1 as raw format. it was xxxxx.dat. if import-manager imports it, how ADGE decides its format. xxxxx.dat is raw format or wave formmat?
is it good ideea to alter behavior by file extension?

so i left import/export manager unchanged.
but if you have any idea for SND1 implement, it is very welcomed!

course of Candy ver:
Candy ver is a software implementation. it is to add or improve features in official ADGE.
but i don't have plan to have large amount of changes (e.g. support for CSBgraphics editing).
i keep the MOD field to "tweaking purpose".
so, ask them to rain` if you want concrete new feature/improvement ideas should be realized in ADGE.
and i'll reinplant Candy if newer ADGE is available.

EDIT: DL link is removed
Last edited by kentaro-k.21 on Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, I guessed it was a leak when I tried to move wall graphics just now and windows couldn't even draw it's own error message correctly!

Many many thanks, both of you - I hadn't realised how much this editor had advanced and how friendly it was, spent all yesterday tweaking and playing around!
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

rain` wrote:
Zyx wrote:I had a try with my custom graphics.dat and ADGE couldn't load it, it hangs at file 561.
There will be a fix in the patch and it will be released within a few days.
I'm still having this problem, Zyx. Where can I download this patch, which you (or was it Rain?) generously created?
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

The patch is still awaited. However, I tried with the candy version of Kentaro, just above, and it worked for me.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

I think it would be a good idea to update
the quicklinks list to point to an up to date
version!

cough!
I would like to take a look at ADGE,
but it won´t work for me..
I have version 0.4... and there are more files than with 0.2..

Am I supposed to do sth. in addition to double click Reg_Candydll.bat and run ADGE_Candy04b_2.exe?
there is an error message:

--run time error
Component ´comdlg32.ocx´ or one of its not registered.
a file is missing....

Help.
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

hi.

ADGE package seems to miss some required files.
file 'comdlg32.ocx' is one of them. (however some happy users already have it.)

i'll update the package with required files in few days.

thanks.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Arigato
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

fixed ver is avail for DL (Candy04b_2x). include only bin files (removed src due to almost out of free space of my filesite). if someone needs source files to be DL ask me.

Return to “Editors and Tools (DMute, DM Builder, ADGE, etc.)”