Tool for exporting dungeon.dat

Use this forum to discuss dungeon editors and other tools, like DMute (by George Gilbert, also working for RTC dungeons), DM Builder (by Sphenx), and ADGE by `rain. Includes DM editing tips and tricks.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Michoko
Novice

Tool for exporting dungeon.dat

Post by Michoko »

Hi,

Recently I've contacted Greatstone (SCK's author) to know if he was interested in improving the SCK and add extra information into the generated XML file. Basically right now, the XML output lacks some linked objects lists, including doors details on each tile or monsters possessions.

Even if he showed interest, I didn't receive any new mail from Greatstone for a while, but I suppose I must blame it on summer holidays. ;)

Anyway, out of curiosity, I was just wondering if there were other similar tools which would allow to dump the dungeon.dat data into some kind of readable format. I browsed the DM Encyclopedia but didn't find anything which seems close to SCK. Did I miss something? I'm particularly interested in the dungeon maps data and not the graphic part, which SCK already exports brilliantly. I'm surprised nobody else made a similar tool and that everybody creating a clone had to code their own dungeon.dat parser...

Any hint will be appreciated ;) Thank you!

Michoko
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

hi Michoko!
in CSBwin, you can open dungeon.dat file only with CSbuild program, unless it`s encrypted- then you have to decrypt it (break the code) ;)
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

CSBwin has an "ASCII DUMP" option.
The source code is available if you
wanted to format the data differently.
I, myself, am willing to fix reported errors.
Michoko
Novice

Post by Michoko »

That's great, thanks guys! I was not aware of the "Ascii Dump" option of CSBuild. I tried the lastest version (build293) and spent a bit of time trying to figure everything out.

The output is very interesting! I may make a VB program which takes this dump and puts it into an Access database, since the format is rather close from a relational DB (especially with the ObjectIndirectReferenceTable).

In fact, the only data I couldn't figure out yet is some actuator formatting, for example with push buttons.
I tried to check at the v291 source (the most recent on Paul's site), but the "void ACTUATOR_PushButton::Dump()" function is entirely commented. So all <PushButton> entries don't seem to contain the necessary informations other actuators have.

Anyway, great job so far! Oh and about errors, I just loaded the dungeon.dat file provided with CSBwin into CSBuild, chose "Write Ascii File", and even if it generated the file, I got a "Sorry" window once saying "Not implemented". So it seems at least one standard data is still not handled properly.

I'll continue to study all this.

Thank you! :)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I'll say this once more. I am willing
to fix formatting and errors to make this
function more useful. It is probably
quite out-of-date and is totally unaware
of such things as AND-GATE Edge
Detection, Alternate Monster Graphics, etc.

This function was built to help me as I
originally translated the Atari code. Once
things were more-or-less complete, I stopped
maintaining the ASCII Dump feature.
Michoko
Novice

Post by Michoko »

Hmm, OK, I was not aware that this feature was not up-to-date. From what I had seen in the output, the basic elements seemed to be there. Or at least I thought that original DM elements might be included, even if more advanced CSBwin stuff like alternate monsters graphics were not handled.

Of course, you're the best person to know what's currently working, and what's left to do. But since I don't know when it will be fixed (and I won't ask for an ETA of course), I'm now back to my starting point. It seems I'll have to learn patience in a way or another...
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Michoko wrote:But since I don't know when it will be fixed (and I won't ask for an ETA of course)
Ah! A misunderstanding. I am not going to
fix it except to respond to error reports or
requests for minor format changes. If
someone does not like it as it is then that
someone must do the work of figuring out
what needs changing. As I said, the feature
was originally for my use and it has finished
serving that purpose.

Generally, if I were to attempt some debugging
of the ASCII Dump feature then I would consider
CSBuild to be the Gospel According to Paul :wink:
and compare what it says with what the ASCII
dump says.
Michoko
Novice

Post by Michoko »

Ok, thanks for the clarification ;)

But just to be sure I understand your point of view, when I say "the <PushButton> actuators seem to be empty", do you consider it as an error report (i.e. something you'd like to fix yourself) or as a feature request we'd have to do on our own? :)
Michoko
Novice

Post by Michoko »

Oh by the way, I take my words back, SCK exports doors correctly and links them to their respective tiles. My bad.

So only creatures possessions are missing, from what I have seen so far.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

the <PushButton> actuators seem to be empty.
Is this an error?
I just did an ASCII Dump and got this.

Code: Select all

Simple Pushbutton-Press with anything.  Graphic=Lever(Up).
      Toggle bit 0 in ACTUATOR 55 at 01(17,34)
If you want it fixed you've got to say
what is wrong with it. An example of the
problem (what is wrong) and a suggestion
as to what is right.
Michoko
Novice

Post by Michoko »

Sorry if it was unclear. I thought I had given details above, but no problem, I can quote myself again: ;)
Michoko wrote:I tried the lastest version (build293) and spent a bit of time trying to figure everything out.

[...]

In fact, the only data I couldn't figure out yet is some actuator formatting, for example with push buttons.
I tried to check at the v291 source (the most recent on Paul's site), but the "void ACTUATOR_PushButton::Dump()" function is entirely commented. So all <PushButton> entries don't seem to contain the necessary informations other actuators have.

Anyway, great job so far! Oh and about errors, I just loaded the dungeon.dat file provided with CSBwin into CSBuild, chose "Write Ascii File", and even if it generated the file, I got a "Sorry" window once saying "Not implemented". So it seems at least one standard data is still not handled properly.
So in other words, with latest build on your site (build293) I obtain empty PushButton actuators like this:

Code: Select all

##Database 3 = Actuators
#
# index link type     Options
     0 65534 <PushButton>      1 65534 <PushButton>      2 65534 <PushButton>      3 65534 <PushButton>      4 65534 <PushButton>      5 65534 <PushButton>      6 65534 <PushButton>      7    16 <Object Holder> 
     8 65534 <Pressure Pad> OpBy:anything Target:(27,00)0 Graphic:3 OO:No Sound:Yes Delay:0 NC:No Msg:Hold
(note the fact that each pushbutton entry is not even seperated by a carriage return.

I suppose we just didn't try the same build. I'm currently at work so I won't be able to try a previous build, but I'll check tonight and tell you if I obtain the same output as you. If I can send any other useful information, please tell me.

Thanks for your great work anyway!

Michoko
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Paul wrote:CSBwin has an "ASCII DUMP" option.
Michoko wrote:I tried the lastest version (build293)
I think I see the problem. Build 293 is the program
called "CSBuild". The ASCII Dump feature is a
part of the program called "CSBwin". I think you
are running the wrong program!
Michoko
Novice

Post by Michoko »

Huho... you're right, I was using CSBuild... :oops:

Ok so I got now the ASCII dump from CSBWin, I'll study it! Thanks!

Michoko
greatstone
The data extractor

sck and item possessions

Post by greatstone »

Hello Michoko,

Please, note that now the last release of SCK is able to handle creature possessions and the dungeon.xml output is now correct.
All dungeons are been extracted again and published on the sck web site (http://greatstone.free.fr/dm/index.html).

It takes me always some times (like months?) to be back into DM stuff from real life, but I am still working on the sck and always open to any needed improvement.

Regards,
GreatStone.

Return to “Editors and Tools (DMute, DM Builder, ADGE, etc.)”