Help needed with Dungeon Builder v.0.85.mu

Use this forum to discuss dungeon editors and other tools, like DMute (by George Gilbert, also working for RTC dungeons), DM Builder (by Sphenx), and ADGE by `rain. Includes DM editing tips and tricks.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
gothmogrules
Novice

Help needed with Dungeon Builder v.0.85.mu

Post by gothmogrules »

Hey there... I've dowloaded Dungeon Builder v.0.85.mu recently, followed the directives included in the text files, but they don't seem to explain everything properly... for example, I couldn't figure out how to edit more than my first level... how to include the champions mirrors.. how to assign buttons to doors or secret walls... pretty basic type of things as you see. Plus, when I try and play with my own dungeon, doors just won't open... as you see, I could use a helping hand here!
So I guess my question is: where can I find a more complete guidebook for this Dungeon Builder version??
Thanx a lot!

btw... can't wait to try this on my xbox360!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI93iXQTAc4
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Help needed with Dungeon Builder v.0.85.mu

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to the forum!

I'll move your thread to the tools forum once you know I'm going to do it, which has a Dungeon Builder thread. However, that thread only has a few helpful comments I'm afraid!
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 25&t=23058

The problem with the Dungeon Builder program is the designer is no longer around, and the last version has a bug with writing scroll texts! It's a real shame, I loved using that programme when it was still developed, I have a little dungen started in it. Sadly, with all the scrolls not displaying correctly and messed up my game when I tried to view them :( I think for everything else it should be fine though!

I seem to recall the readme.txt file explains the keyboard shortcuts - so things like level swapping was via a simple scrolling up/down through the levels in your dungeon using two keys.

Having open doors is an option. I think you need to create the door, and then use a certain key to create the option. I will go open the programme just now if I can find it, and try to remember how it worked!
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh, I forgot to say, I'm afraid the DM3 is fake :( There's a thread somewhere about it, sad really, although maybe one day a fan made clone will make it to the PC. Entombed is pretty cool, and Dungeon Maker was a good project!

Anyway, page up and page down will cycle you through your dungeon map, but the follow keys will change your levle size:
Dungeon Dimensions:
Keys for French keyboard!
(So there may be inversions between a,z,q and w)

'shift-A' decrease x dimension
'shift-Z' increase x dimension

'shift-Q' decrease y dimension
'shift-W' increase y dimension

'shift-B' decrease levels number
'shift-N' increase levels number
Taken from the KEYS.txt file

Champion mirrors: You need to make a normal wall actuator, and assign the champion mirror graphic to the level, and give that graphic to the actuator. Descrease the actuator type to -1 for champion mirror. I believe you alter some property of the actuator using the normal actuator keys to cycle through the available champion pictures - they get displayed.

You then need to create a champion text on the floor infront of the mirror, invisible. There is help for the champion text in the KEYS.txt file too.

For DMute I started a hex guide here:
http://www.dmjump.net/Hextut.doc

It's a little bit train of thought and jumbled as it was an initial draft, and it mentions hex editing alot as it was for DMute, but the editors are editing the same file structure, so the logic of the dungeon and creating items is the same. It might help mroe than confuse!

Good luck!

Edit: Doors!
Door
~~~~~
'b' switch button
'd' switch destroyable
's' switch bashable
' ' switch door type
'o' switch opening
LEFT/RIGHT: cycle through the available door ornates
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

gothmogrules
Novice

Post by gothmogrules »

thanx for the quick reply!
So I guess there's no better guidebook out there than the text files included... :(
Page up & down does work for switching levels, thank you! As for scrolls, I guess I could do without them. But having open doors all along, though...... not for me. (how am I to squash those worms and knights?!! :P)
Would you recommend a better software than this version? I know you've mentioned DMute, but it wouldn't work when I installed it (error message) - same thing also happens with RTC...
Anyway, thanx alot for you help.... I'll see what I can do about this
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I actually liked DMBuild compared to DMute in certain ways (better expandability), and the graphical interface is cool. There's no harm in doing a dungeon using it. And i think the 'o' will toggle the door's initial status for you, and 'b' add your buttons - so no door harm there!

However, I could instead suggest switching to CSBwin. The programme is based on the CSB/DM engine under atari, so is pretty much identical to the PC version, and runs really nicely. The programme has its own editor in parallel - CSBuild. It's is pretty friendly once you get in to it, and certainly there are more help topics around for it and some internal help too.

CSBwin will take your initial PC dungeon file if you load it through CSBuild and say 'ok' to anything it says. Eventually it will convert the file (change the endian of it) and you can run it in CSBwin. However, once you do this you can't go back and use the CSBwin files under PC DM. Then again, CSBwin runs so much like PC DM it hopefully shouldn't matter

gothmogrules
Novice

Post by gothmogrules »

Alright, so if I wanna try and switch to CSBwin... do you have a link for download?
tx again!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/851

The download links are at the bottom. The Dm and CSB downloads actually contain the same programme and builder files, just they have the different dungeon and graphic files separately so you can play the packages without mucking around. You can copy either one to create a third folder for your new dungeon.

Also, can I suggest checking out the tool forum for the programme ADGE. That lets you edit the graphics.dat files and put new attack descritpions, graphics and item names in to your dungeon too.

gothmogrules
Novice

Post by gothmogrules »

nice! I'll check it out soon (probably tomorrow)... hopefully I won't have any problems this time!
thanx for your help beo!

Return to “Editors and Tools (DMute, DM Builder, ADGE, etc.)”