Finding a good Webhost

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Finding a good Webhost

Post by andyboy_uk »

Does anyone know of a good fast webhost with no bandwidth (or no silly limit) restrictions that support MSACCESS and ASP (or SQL), I would like FTP access, about 5 email accounts and the ability to point a domain at the site.

Im looking at http://www.sipero.com but the bandwidth limits are a bit off putting. Possibly http://www.fasthosts.co.uk (no mention of bandwidth restrictions but far more expensive) and http://ukreg.com for the domain name (very cheap DNS hosting)

Open to suggestions though.
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Unless you pay silly money, it's unlilkely you'll find any provider with unlimited data transfer rates. I did use WebFusion (HostEurope) initially myself as they were reasonably competitive, but their customer service totally sucked, so I switched to 4D hosting.

http://www.webfusion.co.uk/

http://www.4dhosting.co.uk/

My current package with 4D costs £8 per month -- I get 250Mb of space, across two domains (www.dmcodex.com and www.resonantedge.com) with a combined monthly allocation of 4GB. That's not massive, and I will probably need to upgrade once DM Codex goes online, due to the rush... ;). But they are very helpful and very responsive to support requests. They aren't the cheapest, but I'm happy with the service.

EDIT: I just looked at sipero -- a friend of mine uses them -- and am impressed with their package. I don't know why you would be put off with their limits Andy, they all look pretty good to me -- even the cheapest of packages. What do you intedn doing with your webspace that requires massive data transfer limits?

Hmmm... I might consider switching to sipero.... will need to check out their performance indices with good old Internet Magazine Labs...
Last edited by Gambit37 on Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Ooh, I like the 4d one, that looks perfect, £8/month is about right and 50mb is all I would need for quite a while. I intend to have a mainly data driven site, news, downloads, dev.diary, that sort of thing.

Will check them out, thanks Gambit.

Got to think of a domain name to use for myself now :roll: , do you have 1 account and point 2 domain names at different folders or something similar?

As for the new editor, the overall feel will be very similar but you will have a whole window at the size specified in the INI file that will be the map and menu and then other windows off the side.

There is going to be one major change that I have no idea how to achieve but if I can it will make editing sooo much easier and quicker.

Will try and get the next revision out soon with the bug fixes and suggestions put in the last few days.
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I think we crossed posts Andy -- did you see my edit about Sipero?

The 4D one uses two completey separate accounts, they just share the same resources. And it was 200Mb a month, not 250. Also, you get 10 Mysql databases, and unlimited mailboxes, autoresponders, redirects and mailing lists.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I used to have an account with siperoonline ages ago, I remember leaving them for one reason or another, not sure whether to return.

I like the ASP.NET support that 4D offer. But as you say, sipero Pro package is cheaper than the Gold plan on 4d.

Choices Choices.
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The 4D website is out of date -- the plans listed there are the Windows/IIS servers I believe. But they also offer Linux solutions, which is what I have. The contact guy keeps telling me that he'll be updating the site but it never has been...

Why not email him and ask about the Linux pacakges? He's always been very helpful to me. His email is:

David Barker - 4d Hosting [david@4dhosting.com]
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'm with ghoulnet.com, but despite appearances I'm too busy to check and see if I am being shafted, if its just not suitable for you or if its another alternative : )

Ghoulnet have a damn fast turn around any time I have e-mail a question though
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Id actually prefer an ASP package :)
Regards,

Andy
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Hehe, good idea whoever split that one up, I was going to do it myself pretty soon :)
Regards,

Andy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

http://ghoulnet.com/hosting.php3
"ASP (Chili Soft No MS Access Database Support)"

I dunno what it means but it sounds jolly exciting!
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I really wanted one that supported MS Access, I dont want to pay through the nose for an MS Sql database or a mySql database.

MSAccess will do fine for the sorts of things I am talking about.

ASP.NET access to it is even better. I think I may have to go the way of 4D.
Regards,

Andy
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Hey there,

What do you all think of this host? That is a LOT of space and bandwidth for pretty much no money whatsoever :)

http://www.fuitadnet.com/

Cows: What Hosting company do you use (if you dont mind me asking)?
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Wheeewwwwweeeee! That's preeeetty darn cheap! Must be a catch somewhere.... try a google search on the company name + "customer support" or "customer service".... ;)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

currently.. mchosts.. Where would we be moving I'm not sure .. I think it's doteasy.com which has been a good place to have space in the past. Not a whole lot of problems from what Craig said when he was with them. His only reason for leaving delt with wanting more space for a more competitive price. however, a year later Doteasy goes and provides some kick ass deals after he's already left them :)

What I think is most important is to talk to others who use any service you are thinking of useing. Make sure they don't have issues and what kind of scripts and exe's the try to run in their server.. if they can handle what it is you want to do. That they don't go down frequently.. So in other words.. don't go with mchosts currently since this site keeps going down or having errors.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Sipero, 4d and fuitadnetare the top condenders at the moment.
Regards,

Andy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Just wanted to ressurect this post as my company is looking for webspace (the basic BT webspace infact sucks hard). Having someone check out the recommended links, any updates? Anyone have really good/bad experiences with them?

Not needing much space, just asp support and decent bandwidth for cheap : )
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Yes, I went with these guys in the end and they have been fantastic. They support everything (PSP, ASP, ASP.NET, MySQL, MS SQL, Access, ODBC) and have FTP support as well.

www.gisol.com

A
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

cheers : )

i've just discovered another reason not to like the BT hosting we're - the ftp support is pretty pathetic too!
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

The people we use for Dungeon-Maker are www.surpasshosting.com who i find very cheap and good, very recommened!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Gone with gisol for now, will let everyone know how it goes
but thanks for the other link!
Equus / ZPC
Big head, big heart

Post by Equus / ZPC »

I suggest http://www.ceskyhosting.cz ... dm.com is hosted there ... and it's all in czech language... ;-) ... but for money which you would not believe...