My nostalgic DM reunification story (sorry, another one)

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Soylent Chad
Neophyte

My nostalgic DM reunification story (sorry, another one)

Post by Soylent Chad »

I had to indulge myself.

My sister called me a few weeks ago to tell me she'd downloaded some SNES emulator and a ROM of Dungeon Master. We had a great time remembering our first experiences playing DM with our dad. We had an Atari ST in the late 80s. One of us would work the mouse, another the keyboard, and the third would tear their hair out, trading positions occasionally.

After we got off the phone I was curious to see if I could play the exact version from the Atari ST and lucked out with the STEEM Atari emulator. I told my girlfriend I would come to bed shortly after downloading the game and then stayed up until 3am.

Since then I've played almost every day. My Xbox is collecting dust, but I've gotten to level 8. And while I haven't had any nightmares about Screamers since I was 7 years old, I did accidentally cast the most powerful fireball spell my wizard could invoke when my cat knocked over the laundry hamper yesterday. Still scary to play alone in a dark room, that's for sure.

There must be tons of posts like these, sorry. And yes, I was scared of Screamers the first time we saw them. That was before I knew how delicious they were. Peace out, fellow Dungeon Masters.
Only the dead have seen the end of war.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Never apologise, it's great to see stories like these!

Welcome, and try not to roast the cat when you get to level 10 and certain yellow scuttlign creatures : )

Check out CSBwin, it's a very efficient self-contained emulation of the atari version of DM and CSB, playable for the PC, that also has the ability to access many of the custom dungeons people have created

There is also RTC, a clone of DM/CSB with the potential for lots of expandablility in custom dungeon building
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yeah.. I got the same image of him whipping around and casting a large fireball at the laundry basket. :)

Anyway, Chad, it's always good to hear people enjoying this game again and again after so many years. It's also cool to hear about those few who stumble upon us and have never played it before.. then start playing and loving it. Despite ancient graphics many don't even care as it's the way you play and learn and explore that makes it worth playing.

anyway.. keep us updated on your progess :) Also you will find new dungeons .. one that comes highly recomended is Conflux II which you will find for CSBwin. There are also a number of clones and many of those have their own things in them that make for an interesting night. Try playing DM with RTC... there is a RTC DM and an orriginal DM.. if you play the RTC version you get a spell book which forces you to collect runes before you can cast spells. What this does is challenge you to work without fireballs or what have you untill you find the right scolls. Just like when you played the very first time.

etc etc etc.. I assure you we can keep you busy a looooong time. Though I think your GF might not like us too much. ;)

moo
Sandman
Apprentice

Post by Sandman »

Lol, it seems that girlfriends take the computer games for their enemies... Try not to push it, Chad! :wink:
Btw, when I was younger, I was pretty scared of the screamers too!
Imo atmosphere in games is very important
:sigh: it's always fine to read posts like these...
creating balance since 1987
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Oh yes.. Video games are the bane of girlfriends everywhere. Many can not understand the pull and drive of some little character on a computer screen.. and those that do are fighting you for the computer or controller.

A new exciting game changes your daily pattern. You spend hours in front of it. Something in the male psychi makes you *Have* to get past "just this one part".. this can in many cases cause you to turn down the little lady as she's trying to throw her self at you.

She whips up her shirt her naked chest not 2 feet away "TAKE ME BIG BOY!!" and you say "Uh yeah ok... just uh.. 5 more mins.. let me just kill this guy.. I promise" :shock:

:)

moo
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, i don't believe that happens...picture proof anyone?

see, a truely dedicated person would never ignore their girlfriend then...that way, they can sneak back to their game after and play til the small hours without any comments or interruptions!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Well, without getting too lewd, I'd rather have my hands an a pert pair of lady bumps than a sweaty plastic joystick. Can't imagine I'd ignore *any* girl who whipped her top off 2 feet away from me...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

"what was that back there?"
- "that was the signpost for lewdness"
"wow, we sure went passed by that in a hurry"
- "yup, you can still see it way back there if you squint your eyes"
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Much as I hate posts that just go LOL, well, LOL! :-)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Sigh.. I've been so involved I didn't notice I was having subtle messages cast my way... thought she was just watching me play :) *oblivious*
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Gambit: "Can't imagine I'd ignore *any* girl who whipped her top off 2 feet away from me..."
What if it was Anne Widdicombe?

Dungeon Master must be better than sex.
It lasts much longer and if you perform badly you can try again with no recriminations :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

She was, she was just excited you got the high score or something. Maybe...

Lol, 10 reasons DM is better than sex/women

2. DM doesn't care if you forget it's birthday or your anniversary with it.

3. DM won't spurn your advances if you want to play with it during the middle of the night

4. If you run out of stamina you just need to click a few buttons and you can carry fresh.

5. You don't get strange looks if you want to call yourself 'Bork the Magnificent' during it.

6. It's just as fun playing with one character

7. ...?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ah, Beo's secret 'thing' is out -- name calling during sex!

As for Anne Widdicombe, well, yes, there *are* exceptions! For those of you who don't know who she is:

http://www.addenbrookes.org.uk/news/new ... 30703.html

And that's a flattering one...
Sandman
Apprentice

Post by Sandman »

:lol:
You know, the only difference between man and boy is in the price of their toy. Maybe that's the reason why less females play computer games, they don't care about toys as they grow older.
I heard this theory some time ago, but I like it... :)
creating balance since 1987