Here's something I have yet to see......

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Jardice
Artisan

Here's something I have yet to see......

Post by Jardice »

I was think about the price of T1 and T3 cards and I just had a thought.

I was wondering why any of the companies that make and provide the service for these cards never though about making them affordable for the home users(like around $80 at the most), I mean they have the fastest connections we ever seen, I just don't see why it's not at least taken advantage of or why no one has though about this and made their own....

I might of missed something here but what are your opinions on this?
Meaningless quote:
Words cannot have meaning unless they're given a meaning, words cannot benifit or harm unless they are allowed to.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

one word: filesharing.
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

Hmm.....I don't know if that was the case they would probably have kept broadband at around $50.

Besides when did hardware companies ever care about stuff like that anyways, in fact that would mean more money for them. YOu could be right though.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

regular users can get a T1 or T3 connection at home if they wanted. however because the technology is new realtively and is also the top end of the chain they can remain cost prohibitive to the regular user untill such a time that they are not the biggest and baddest. When one of the main companies says.. hey we can off this at a reasonable price now because all these otherings are in place.

For the longest time internet on a modem was relatively expensive. 30 bucks for a month and all you got was about 100 hours of net time. You had to watch your useage and so on. They had Cable and DSL but they were still around $50 and you had to pay $200 for the modem and extras in order to use it. Now however, You get the modem given to you and it costs around $35 a month to use it.. so as a result.. 56k internet is about $14 there is no hourly limit anymore either.

This will happen with T1 and T3.. just give it a few more years
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

I hope so....would be nice to have a 1MB connection(or was it higher I don't remember.).

New? wasn't T1 and T3 cards around in 1995? unless I'm wrong shouldn't they be considered as old hardware(like the modems in a way).?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well I mean new as T1/3 connections are not mainstream. They are not all over the place and the cost to set up the line for a User will cost a lot of money.. however in their aknowledgement of providing DSL and Cable internet it was not only about DSL or CABLE internet. For DSL it was about increasing the comminications networks abilities for the phone system. Updating hardware and software that was already outdated and to compete within a truely digital communicaitions world. We have a number of services which depend on having digital information passed along those lines.. with the increase of population as well they need to be computer controlled and interfaced in order to keep up the demand.. no longer are the days of humans removing and patching cords to make a connection to Mrs, Johnstone... So all these upgrades to fiber optics and servers was needed to begin with. DSL subscriptions neatly help to pay for their installation and at the same time provide a service we desire.

For cable they have been planning the next step up towards HDTV.. they needed to upgrade the lines and services as well. In addition to that they needed to compete with satelite TV and their advanced channel selction interfaces and picture quality as well as addressing customer orders without needing an army of millions sitting on the phone. With digital terminals you can order your movies without wating.. So again these upgrades were already needed.. they needed to provide a service that people will be able to afford and will provide them with money to continue to upgrade these systems to provide more services.

T1 and t3 as far as I can tell are more sophisticated and require fiberoptic line to be laid drectly to your house.. not the nearest local service juncture like DSL. So as such it's much more work and money to do. So untill more services have been upgraded to the point that like Cable and phonelines you have fiber optics going directly to your house or at least to the pole outside your house.

Now this could be me talking out my ass here but as far as what I've heard from talking to others handling the services (my father works for a phone company) and from working for companies representing these phone and cable services I've come to these conclusions.

but I'd be interested in someone elses take on it all. :)

moo
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

T1 is 1.5 megabit and can run on copper. Very common for small business
and campus. Any commercial router can be purchased with T1 interface.
T3 is 45 megabit and costs a small fortune.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Where I live, we have a 0,75 mbit connection (ADSL). Around 40 euros a month...
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

So all these upgrades to fiber optics and servers was needed to begin with. DSL subscriptions neatly help to pay for their installation

Fibre optics were used first for backbones before DSL was available for mainstream market. Unfortunately DSL turned out to be incompatible to fibre optics, which causes some problems for the availability of DSL (at least in some parts of Germany). Lucky me the house I live in is not dependant on a glass fibre connection, so DSL is no problem here.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Well when my dad was talking to me about the upgrades they were making he talked about fiber optics been laid down around the province and getting in new boards to handle the new interfaces. It was a massive undertaking. Then when people were telling me that they didn't have DSL in their area the explaination of the company was they didn't have fiber or a terminal in their area. So I don't understand why DSl would beincompatable with fiber. As far as I know the fiber goes from the main station to the terminal and then it's just phoneline from there. which is why nothing else has changed in my building and you need those microfilters to run DSL.

I was mistaken about the T1 and T3.. as neither are fiber lines. I had read an article last year about T1 and T3 and fiber optics.. I guess my brain screwed up the information because I thought the two were connected but instead (now that I hunted it down again) they were saying that the fiber optic line offers the fastest connection possible above T1 and T3. As pinted out by Paul the T-lines can run on coaxial cables.

According to a few other articles I just read.. Fiberoptic lines where are being passed around the various cities of the world is cheaper than running coaxial or straight copper. It's cheaper to manufacture, requires less energy to use, thinner meaning more lines in equivilent diameters, each fiber can be broken into 160 channnels, low signal degredation, and no interference between lines like you get with electrical lines. Aparently a company is offering fiber connections to bussiness at about 1000 US and yet a T3 line is around 1500 US.

So who knows.. perhaps T-lines will vanish before we even see them come down to our price range. Since the more fiber optic terminals are being set up for DSL (and apparently Cable now too) there will be a nearby connection for you to patch off of. The more mainstream it becomes the less expensive it becomes. From reading all of this.. it seems to me that it's within the phone and cable companies interest to get rid of copper all together. Pull it.. recycle it and replace it with glass. Cheaper to make and run, safer (no electrical shorts and fires), faster, and require less space per line.

wild..
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

oh and annother advantage to the big companies.. they can controll streamspeed by computer over a glass line.. so you can get any speed you request over the same line which is bad for the consumer.. since just because it can go faster.. doesn't mean they will let you.
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

That's not surprising really...it'll be just like the gas companies.

All they need is a good amount of money and they can get away with alot of stuff.

Well so much for that I guess..But then there's another bit I need to know....Is the fiber optic connection private?(not like cable to where you have to share you connection with others)otherwise I can still somewhat see T1 and T3 cards sticking around a bit longer(unless they're shared connections as well).
Viborg Cyborg
Neophyte

Post by Viborg Cyborg »

My Internet service, (cable), is 3 mbit and cost about $50 a month. Rumor has it that the speed is going to double soon with no price change. :D
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

Hmm what company is this?

The price is still a bit steep esp. since cable is shared(unless I heard something wrong about this).
Viborg Cyborg
Neophyte

Post by Viborg Cyborg »

Comcast (formerly AT&T)