Forum Journey!

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Forum Journey!

Post by Lunever »

I just want to say that once again the forum did something marvelous! I've met an internet contact for the first time in my life - that is I've visited Gambit in Brighton and we had a lot of fun! Without roleplaying and internet I'd never have gone to Brighton and I'd really missed something.

Tomorrow I will probably meet Andyboy for a drink in London, and maybe FallenSeraphim before departing to Brimingham. After that I will stay a weekend at Kaspians and I'm really looking forward to it.

You should think that this forum is only about some old game, but somehow this forum has created far more of a community.

FallenSeraphim: In case you read this and are still interested in meeting, I don't have any phone number of you and thus can't contact you, so it be nice if you could contact me (I've sent mail to the hotmail account you use for MSN, dunno whether you usually also check it's mails or use it for instant messenging only)!
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hey there! Yeah, it was really good to meet up with you and your partner. It's ironic that I had so much work this week I didn't have as much free time as I would have liked, but I hope that you enjoyed your time in sunny Brighton. Sorry to hear about you losing all your pictures -- maybe if you come back this way home, you can stop off again and get the photos once more.

Maybe one day we can arrange a 'sad old farts' meeting somewhere for anyone who's interested....!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

When you replied to this post, I got as usual a mail informing me about this reply, and since Y! recently offered to provide mobile wap mail access via my provider T-Mobile (allthough they take incredible 3 Euro monthly for this service, but for travelling around I thought it'd be a good idea anyway), but of course I couldn't read the post itself on the mobile, 'cause it's in normal internet format and not wap accessible, so I wonder:

Could we enable the forum software, to send the post replies themselves instead of just posting the link? Would our bandwith be enough to support this?

And would it be even possible to make a wap accessible site for the forum?

Gambit, what'd you say?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yeah he'd deffinitely be the guy to ask.. if not for his now busy sched!

moo
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Yesterday Andyboy invited us for diner and later we had a nice evening in a pub, and he said, that he would like and "old farts meeting" also very much. I definitely support this, 'cause the forum made already a very nice time in UK possible and probably will do this even more the coming days. I suppose such a thing would have to be in UK/London, 'cause in that area the greatest number of forum regulars is living.

So what are other people's oppinions on this?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sounds an interesting idea, certainly : )

I'm quite far North, but then again there are travelodges everywhere, and planes are such wonderful things : )

Anything close to luton or easy to get to from luton would be great for me and my wallet : )
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

For posting replies with email alerts, this would certainly be possible. However, two reasons that this won't happen for quite some time 1) I am far too busy now and 2) I suspect this will be a lot easier in phpBB2.2 and would prefer to make any new modifications once we have upgraded. This forums software is several point releases out of date, so I don't want to fiddle any more with it in this state.

As for WAP, again the current forum software generates unsuitable HTML for Wap/Handheld delivery. This should be much nicer to consider in the newer version which has more streamlined code and styling.

Trains go all the way from Brighton to Luton, so that would be possible. We could all meet in an internet cafe with video conferencing and get Cow et al to meet us too! :)
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Ok, back again! The last 2 weeks I've been to Devon and Cornwall countryside where I've been removed so far from technical civilization that at some point I had neither any internet cafe available nor any mobile connection - not even cash, because in countryside villages, even tourist-crowded ones like Tintagel, cash machines only accept British debit cards but not international credit cards and the bank opens twice a week only - so in case you wondered, why I've been a bit quiet lately... anyway: Gambit, sorry we couldn't meet once more the day after your birthday to properly say goodbye, but I hope sincerely that this won't have been the last opportunity to meet.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hey! Glad you got back in one piece! Sorry I missed your call on saturday evening -- I was at my sister's and with the party going on I didn't hear it. I was very drunk on Friday too, and to be honest I don't remember a huge amount about it -- so I apologise if I failed to say goodbye; in fact, my friends told me I failed to say goodbye to everyone!

Maybe one day I will come and visit you in Saarbrucken...!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Gambit: I can only repeat what Safadia and me already said: You are very welcome here! Now that you have work again the time when you'll need some holidays away from it may not be too far ;-)