Hmm......Well it has been a few days but..

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Jardice
Artisan

Hmm......Well it has been a few days but..

Post by Jardice »

Never thought I see almost a dead week go by...Did we finally hit something in real life that's keeping us form comming here or *gasp* we lost intrest in DM?

Anyone still here?
Bowser
Neophyte

Post by Bowser »

I am! I just don't post much but, i still love DM1 & DM2 :D ! And haveint lost intrest :lol:
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

same for me, i guess there's a "back from holidays" effect...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

busy at work, only tend to reply when other people reply : )
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

Ah that's good to hear....

Now If I can just stop forgetting my password so much....:(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

can i suggest a memento-like freaky tattoo?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Jardice, do you need a new password? If so, please email me at mh12225054@hotmail.com and I'll send you a new one.
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

beowuuf wrote:can i suggest a memento-like freaky tattoo?
Hahaha. I might have to start doing that.

e-mail sent Gambit.
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

Hi,

Got some break (got a wife :)) but still with you guys. I feel it in my bones that some fresh but amazing dungeon is on it's way ;) cmon !
All in the golden afternoon,
Full leisurely we glide...
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Still around aswell, waiting for a new competition. Gave up on win DM without getting hurt...furthest i got was the ghost level.
Last edited by Antman on Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

ok win DM with no weapons and no magic use beside the few things you need to use magic and weapons to complete a puzzle with that is.. (zo to open the door then throw the item down to close the pit etc)
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

ninja-run? quite boring, but not as hard as it might look. i healed injuries, though.
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

I'm still around but haven't had much time to check in. Started a new job and it's taking up a lot of my time.

By the time I get home, I'm dead tired. Weekends are spent with my wife, not much time for anything else.

Still love to play DM when I can. <grin>
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

Allo :]

I wonder - what jobs do you have my friends ? Are you all computer scientists ;) ?
All in the golden afternoon,
Full leisurely we glide...
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Yes there has been a bit of a lull, but all forums have peaks and troughs. Not to worry, as soon as there is a topic that grabs us by the boo-boos people will get posting. Even a topic about why there haven't been many posts :wink:

One of the things we haven't had for a while is a new dunge. I do wonder if Zyx's masterpiece Conflux 2 has "raised the bar" so high that people feel their efforts are not worthy. Or perhaps the constant changes and improvements to CSBWin, RTC and associated programs have made people hold back? There is the time factor too - how long on average does it take to create a complete adventure? I've furtled around with CSBuild a bit and found it both addictive and rewarding but I can't see any way I could find the time to design and build anything worth submitting.
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

I know what you mean....i haven't found the time to do anything without getting that "i'm tired" feeling.

And i'm only 23 years old! :lol:
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Des wrote:One of the things we haven't had for a while is a new dunge. I do wonder if Zyx's masterpiece Conflux 2 has "raised the bar" so high that people feel their efforts are not worthy
exactly, conflux2 brings a new challenge to dungeon creators (new graphics, modified spells, high level puzzles) : the threads in CSBwin forum are very "technical" for people who never released any dungeon.. (i.e. me :oops:)
most of people here want new stuff, new story, but with DM engine : making a -classic- dungeon is probably too boring ? what do you think ?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

a good dungeon is a good dungeon, whether it's some nice puzzles in the same environment, or somehting completely new and different

tower of chaos is a good one - it doesn't need, except in a few areas, the new graphics - it would be a very nice fresh feeling environment anyway. Similarly, new graphics can't hide if the gameplay and ideas below are same ol' same ol'. Plus, we keep dgoign bakc to the original DM - so who cares if someone produces a dungeon that is only a slight twist on the original : )
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

The comment above by Des on 'holding back' is a good one - I am designing a new creation but have held back a little waiting for maybe new editors (ADGE etc) that might make designing a little less time consuming. Building a new dungeon from top to toe, and play testing takes longer than you think, but Beowuufs comment on producing a 'dungeon with only a slight twist' is very true: can still be very playable, and this is how most designers start.
Also I agree with Linflas, that Zyx's Conflux 2 has added a new dimension to design with cunning mechanics, new atmosphere enhancing graphics and intricate puzzles and many people like this approach. This requires a lot of knowledge and skill and has stretched the engine to its limits, but there is still a place for your original 'hack 'n' slash' dungeons with a rollercoaster ride of an adventure even if relatively simple in design. As in Sucinums Imprisoned, the most playable dungeon out there IMHO. So I think people shouldn't be afraid to have a tinker.
My new dungeon, I hope, will use the editors to provide a different angle to the game with new monsters, weapons and some (I will try hard!) graphics. Also I plan a multiple ending dungeon with a more in depth story line but hope to provide something that you can get stuck into quickly. Also, some puzzles will be slightly more long winded to cater for the Archmasters out there. This is going to take me a long time, so if anyone wants to lend a hand, please email me and I will discuss my ideas. Any budding artists out there?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Hey, Beo, did you mangage to finish Towers?! And how on earth have you managed 3000+ posts???!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Not sure about the posts
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Could be many reasons
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

And I think I figured out the 'feed me' pit but never got back into it after that...need to get back to it at some point!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Yeah, strange that.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Oops crossed post there! That feed me puzzle was not liked by PitD either. As has been mentioned before, pit puzzles aren't liked! You have about 4 levels to go...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No, see, it wasn't the dropping down pit part - that I got, liked, it was fine in this case.
The part I hated and made me bang my head repeatidly on the wall was the fact I stimied myself with the button right away. Didn't think to undo it. I think I solved this area only because I restarted and spotted what the button obviously did before I used it the second time. And even then it didn't instantly twig. Maybe my brain was going rusty!

Hmm, four levels? That's doable...must get back to it. Been a while though, so need to remember how powerful the party all are for a start! I think fighting the water elementals earlier gave me some tough mages and fighters...