Twin

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Twin

Post by beowuuf »

I used to think i had a unique online name, but I just did a google search for goodness knows what reason, and found that there is a beowuuf on warezbb!

Anyone else use to think they had a unique name? Anyone still do?
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

i though i was until i tried to register it on ebay...
but i win the google-race :P
BloodFromStone
Expert

Post by BloodFromStone »

I have never encountered another BloodFromStone on the net, except that I couldn't get that name on AIM... I'm surprised that I've yet to find one in a search or anything, since I was informed at one point that it is an album name by some band.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well, Cowsmanaut is pretty unique.. but I've found one reference to it on a obscure post about cows attached to rockets.. which is where I delved the name from in the first place.. I also found a little gif of a cow strapped to a rocket that is very much like the one I first drew but it was made for DIVX.. of all things.. :P

moo
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Ah, the good old ego-search.

PaulH??? Common as dirt
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Same here -- hmmm, maybe it's time I got a more unique nick.....
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Yeah, I was thinking of changing mine to 'ncvdsdufshdaaszdgxxxxseyweyt8wh'. Bugger to remember though.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Eh, it was actually something i had thought about telling someone...if every we lost touch, at least they could search for that name and find me...

but apparently not!

i did a similar search once for a name of the main characte for my novel i would dearly love to get back to. Funnily no one had seemed to use it as a name, but it came up as e-mail addresses for people wuith the right first and second names!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

The nickname is limited to 25 characters.

I am afraid that you would have to stick with "ncvdsdufshdaaszdgxxxxseyw","ufshdaaszdgxxxxseyweyt8wh" or sth. in between. Still not very "memorizable"...
slightly off topic;
I asked a friend of mine(->studied informathics), what would be a suitable or a good password, and he told me:
" at least 6, better 8 letters long and with 4 numbers/signs in it. "
A password 4 letters long, according to him, would be like no password at all.
So i wondered if you are having easy to hack passwords, like me, or if yu are all well protected or just don´t care or if you know sth. about password safety issues?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yeah, a 'strong' password is concidered an eight letter alphanumeric, without any proper words in it, small and capitals for the letters if it makes a difference
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

or anything Welsh...

I was considering changing my name to the Gaelic version of my surname Hayes, which translates as 'fire'
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

but you need good monitor cleaner for afterwards
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Cider from the Valleys is known to have a great cleansing properties
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

so the best passwords are near impossible to come up with,even harder to memorize and are best changed weekly. So here we are...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yes

If you find you cannot get into your own stuff, talk to your friends or order anything online, you have a good password
BloodFromStone
Expert

Post by BloodFromStone »

I have two passwords that I use randomly for everything. One of them is fairly secure by those standards, the other isn't terribly fragile, as it's pretty long, but it's not alphanumeric... I guess if I combined the two, I'd have a pretty safe password.
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

I have a bunch of passwords. Some of them follow some of those guidelines thanks to my school taking precautionary measures about our passwords for our email accounts (which even have to be changed yearly - to save myself the hassle, I switch back and forth between two acceptable passwords). The funny part is that you don't even have to enter the entire password if it's long enough. I left off the last two letters/numbers of my longer password all the time and it went through just fine, which doesn't seem particularly intelligent. If the password won't be completely checked, then limit the number of characters in it!

My first password, which I used for everything, was probably the stupidest password I could have used, short of using something based on my nick/real name or whatever. But I don't use that any more.

Selie is apparently a real name in some part of the world. But otherwise there aren't too many around; I can find myself very easily googling myself. My real name, on the other hand - there's a woman with my first and last name who is a prizewinning playwright. I think that's pretty cool.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, hopefully one day she'll be annoyed that all the google links are about you then!
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I haven't searched my name, but I know there are at least three and possibly four (or more) Tom Hatfields in my city, and one of them is my father. The other is some guy I never met who got a traffic ticket from the same cop on the same night several years ago, but for something much worse --- I think it was DWI --- and caused me a smidgen of grief at the courthouse when I went to pay my speeding ticket.
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

Wow, ouch. I wouldn't imagine that it would be such a common name, but apparently not. I know some Hadfields, but no Hatfields. They have a lot of kids.

I hope you got the speeding ticket thing resolved just fine.