Gas Guzzlers

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
DaveTheMiller
Apprentice

Post by DaveTheMiller »

I don't think we should ignore what these scientists are claiming. To do so would be insane, I am not saying they are all completely off their rocker either.
I am merely suggesting that, as they don't fully understand what the hell is happening with the Earth's climate, they are presenting us with the very worst case scenarios so no one can turn around and say "why didn't you warn us?"
In my mind, less pollution could never be a bad thing, and the scare tactics that go hand in hand with the global warming fear SHOULD be enough to make us start to take more care of our planet.
I hope it happens, we should have more respect for nature, for our environment.
So ignoring what these scientists, and the crazy weather of late, is telling us is not what I am implying we should do. It's just that with most things those in authority or those in the media present us with the absolute worst that COULD happen.
I think comparing the whole Global Warming issue with smoking tobacco is a bit odd. Simply because even though scientists are constantly telling us new things about what cigarettes COULD do to people who cripple their lungs daily with them, there are still a large percentage of smokers who live long and reasonably healthy lives.
The last three or four people who broke the "oldest person alive" records were all heavy smokers, and had been for over 100 years!
But yet you get some people who never so much as try a cigarette who die of lung cancer.
Personally I think smoking is shit but I also believe how an individuals body copes with the effects of tobacco smoke is going to be completely different from person to person.
I also tend to think that when disasters do happen that have a drastic effect on the world, they are things that take us by surprise, not things we've been scaring ourselves witless over for years.
Nobody expected Sept 11th, nobody expected the recent Tsunami.
So yes, lets go out there and work to make the world a cleaner place but I really think we should be doing that anyway.
It ain't coca cola, it's rice.