Why do I STILL always scream when the lights come back on ?

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Valderra
Artisan

Why do I STILL always scream when the lights come back on ?

Post by Valderra »

Only a few days ago, someone said that he is getting scared every time he is in sleep mode and comes awake again when monsters arrive.

And I thought I was the only one, sitting there in front of my computer, screaming my head off when quite unexpectedly my champions are rudely awaken by intruders who hiss at me and go "chaaaaa" (usually the mummies).

I used to get almost heart attacks when I played the game on the Mega Drive (or SNES) but had forgotten about it until now. LOL Each time, my heart starts racing like mad when I get woken up by monsters.

Who else screams at the screen? LOL
Last edited by Valderra on Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hmmm, don't know about that, but my knees go funny when crossing under the bridge in Half Life 2.....
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, i tend to jump at monster attacks ..mostly the scrpion snarl if the sound is too loud, and the work attack always gets me too

my heart beats faster whenever i hear the 'whisper whisper whisper' cause it could be a screame,r but it could be a worm/scorpion...
Valderra
Artisan

Post by Valderra »

beowuuf wrote:Yeah, i tend to jump at monster attacks ..mostly the scrpion snarl if the sound is too loud, and the work attack always gets me too

my heart beats faster whenever i hear the 'whisper whisper whisper' cause it could be a screame,r but it could be a worm/scorpion...
LOL It's usually mummies with me who with their open arms are right there in my face. They just scare me half to death. :lol:
And every time I am trying to convince myself that it's not real but I just can't help it, I jump every time.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

wow, my typing skills are terrible!
BloodFromStone
Expert

Post by BloodFromStone »

Work attack?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yes, it's like a worm attack, but they have post-it notes with assignments covering their bodies. Very frightening.

The noise they make is something like "Umm...yeah...I'm going to have to go ahead and..ah...ask you to come in on saturday. Yeah. And...ah...sunday aswell..."

let's face it, all DM creatures are scary at 3am with full sound on. Except rusters. Those weird faced things are never, ever frightening. Ever!
BloodFromStone
Expert

Post by BloodFromStone »

Yes, it's like a worm attack, but they have post-it notes with assignments covering their bodies. Very frightening.

The noise they make is something like "Umm...yeah...I'm going to have to go ahead and..ah...ask you to come in on saturday. Yeah. And...ah...sunday aswell..."
AHHHHHHHHHH! :shock:
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

*rust* *rust* take that, infidel! *eat sword and stuff* *rust*
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yah, they are slightly scarier in RTC

It's like 'NO! I HAVE A COOL WEAPON! *fireball fireball fireball* mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, better
NO! TWO OF THEM! ARGH! *fireball fireball fireball* ahhhh..wait *fireball*....mmm, huh? *fireball* stop taking the mick now! *fireball*...look, don't make me come over there with a wooden club! *fireball fireball*
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Actually, I confess, DM did make me jump several times when I was younger. I didn't want to appear to be a wuss.... now you've all owned up, it's not so bad....

I gave myself a very brusied knee during one late night session. Rummaging around the Oitu level, a damn Materializer appeared from nowhere and lobbed a fireball at me. I was so panicked that my whole mouse arm spasmed, I ran into a wall, my leg jerked and I whacked it under the table. Doubling up in pain, my head on the desk, I finally arose to survey the damage and two of my party were toast, and the others were nursing second degree burns.

Happy days!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Rofl...ohh I agree with you Beo about Scorpy noises...I always have to toast them with fireballs or (better yet, as with any mob) shut 'em in the door. And although I love (killing) Dragons, the growl/roar noise they make is a crap-yourself moment because if you didn't see the Dragon that exhaled it, you might be smacked upside the head with a Fireball any moment. So fighting Hellhounds therefore carries an automatic response every time one bites me.
Walking down a corridor and suddenly getting hit by a spell (usally a Beholder on level 6 or a Spell Vine on level 12 of DM) before I see who cast it tends to make me crap myself.
I don't tend to sleep that often, and when I do it's in a spot I know to be safe (ie in a small room behind a closed door), so I don't think I ever get woken up.
And as for physically/vocally reacting to stuff happening in-game. Well, ahem...let me see...
I was on level 13 of DM and had sneaked carefully down the corridor into the main room. Fortunately there were no bloody annoying Fire Demons nearby, but nor could I see any sign of Lord Chaos. I went over to the spot where I like to cast my Fluxcages and looked around. Still no Chaos. I stood beside a wall (not the edge of the room, another wall) and decided to do a save in case he materialised in front of me and blew me up. Then I turned round and actually made a little squeal/scream because HE WAS RIGHT IN MY SODDING FACE!!!
My mum shouted up the stairs what had happened and I had to say "Erm...nothing, I just turned round and there was a mob there..." or words to that effect. Suffice to say, the horned grey bastard got punished for it eventually. Damn him :P.
Valderra
Artisan

Post by Valderra »

Gambit37 wrote:Actually, I confess, DM did make me jump several times when I was younger. I didn't want to appear to be a wuss.... now you've all owned up, it's not so bad....

I gave myself a very brusied knee during one late night session. Rummaging around the Oitu level, a damn Materializer appeared from nowhere and lobbed a fireball at me. I was so panicked that my whole mouse arm spasmed, I ran into a wall, my leg jerked and I whacked it under the table. Doubling up in pain, my head on the desk, I finally arose to survey the damage and two of my party were toast, and the others were nursing second degree burns.

Happy days!
LOL That was one funny story. hehehe... *wipes tears from eyes* :lol:

I am so glad I am not the only one sitting calmly in front of the monitor and suddenly start yelping for no apparent reason. LOL

Ameena wrote:And as for physically/vocally reacting to stuff happening in-game. Well, ahem...let me see...
I was on level 13 of DM and had sneaked carefully down the corridor into the main room. Fortunately there were no bloody annoying Fire Demons nearby, but nor could I see any sign of Lord Chaos. I went over to the spot where I like to cast my Fluxcages and looked around. Still no Chaos. I stood beside a wall (not the edge of the room, another wall) and decided to do a save in case he materialised in front of me and blew me up. Then I turned round and actually made a little squeal/scream because HE WAS RIGHT IN MY SODDING FACE!!!
My mum shouted up the stairs what had happened and I had to say "Erm...nothing, I just turned round and there was a mob there..." or words to that effect. Suffice to say, the horned grey bastard got punished for it eventually. Damn him :P.
LOL LOL That is another good one. I can just see myself doing the exact same thing. :lol:
Last edited by Valderra on Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

(offtopic yellow alert)

Would it be better to have a different walk sound for EVERY monster? Like Fuzzface mentions above.. the worms, Screamers, and scorpions all have the same noises.. or is it freaker to wonder?

I would think a seasoned worrior would be able to desinguish after a while what was what.. however can't do that when it's the exact same sounds sample

moo
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

freakier to wonder i think...

i think that was really evil in the wrom level when thee was the whisper, and you get all your best spells ready for a screamer in a room.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Gambit37 wrote:Hmmm, don't know about that, but my knees go funny when crossing under the bridge in Half Life 2.....
same thing for me on the beach,... jumping onto rocks and praying for not touching the ground !...
in DM, i'm still afraid by rats/dragons noise.. :oops:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe...I was wondering about walk sounds the other day - obviously if it was real, they wouldn't really make the same noises, so they've got their own sounds in my story. But I agree, it's better not to know what kind of mob you're approaching. I can tell flying mobs, and I can usually tell Thieves because although they have the same noise as several other mobs, they move so fast that when one is approaching I can normally blow the fooker into a cloud of dust before he has a chance to pinch something :D.
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Nice stories guys ! I'm usually very "involved" when I play games... I don't scare easily at DM anymore, since I really pump my characters high on Mana and Hit points, but I recall my early days... Just watching friends play, one would start yelling "Dragooooooooooooon !" and freak out until the player had rushed back up to base camp at level 8 !

My last high stress gaming experience was with Rainbow Six 3... You know that game where your guys actually get killed by the first (or if they're very lucky, the second) bullet that hits them... Especially since I play in the dark with the sound high up... Once my brother walked in the room without my noticing, and when he said hi I completely lost it and yelled with terror !
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I had the incident with the dragon in DM where I had my back to him and had wondered the whole room without seeing him. Only score marks on the walls and piles of dust on the floor. then to hear the sound behind me of it casting a fireball but not knowing that.. I turn.. and see in all it's glory a massive fireball which then hits me kills one of my crew and then the dragon steps into view for the first time.. and then it makes the sound again. at this point shock wears off I and barely side step annother large fireball and then run like hell .. ran into one wall about 8 or so times then into annother about 4 or 5 times then got up ths stairs and panted... it was then I realised the whole time I was about an inch from nose to screen.. my back all hunched and sweating. I had been leaning forward to get away faster :P

Friend of mine shared a story also of his brother. Apparently he saw an oitu for the first time and he's arachnaphobic. His response in his state of fear was to yell and then protect himself by slamming his fingers on the power button and leaving the room :) seems pretty logical for such and irrational fear. ;)

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I often leaned right or left in my seat when something launched a missile at me.... now that really is a great measure of how immersive the game is...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yeah, i do thatin fps games...leaning around corners, lean away form shots and missiles...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, I try and lean or peer in the appropriate direction to see over an edge or up a hill or something in EQ. It's kind of one of those automatic things you do..."Oh, that mob is going behind a tree, let me just lean over so I can keep watching it...oh no, my view isn't moving...Oh yeah, the arrow keys..." :)
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Am I missing summat here lol!!!!
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

LOL I do the leaning thing too ! I also squint to try and see things in the distance in FPS games :p
Valderra
Artisan

Post by Valderra »

cowsmanaut wrote:I had the incident with the dragon in DM where I had my back to him and had wondered the whole room without seeing him. Only score marks on the walls and piles of dust on the floor. then to hear the sound behind me of it casting a fireball but not knowing that.. I turn.. and see in all it's glory a massive fireball which then hits me kills one of my crew and then the dragon steps into view for the first time.. and then it makes the sound again. at this point shock wears off I and barely side step annother large fireball and then run like hell .. ran into one wall about 8 or so times then into annother about 4 or 5 times then got up ths stairs and panted... it was then I realised the whole time I was about an inch from nose to screen.. my back all hunched and sweating. I had been leaning forward to get away faster :P

Friend of mine shared a story also of his brother. Apparently he saw an oitu for the first time and he's arachnaphobic. His response in his state of fear was to yell and then protect himself by slamming his fingers on the power button and leaving the room :) seems pretty logical for such and irrational fear. ;)

moo
LOL I often run into walls in a state of panic when I want to escape to a safer level. And when I get suddenly attacked, I usually use my weapons the wrong way, chop when I should stab or even throw a knife when I shouldn't... :roll:
And I like your friend's story. Very rational indeed. :lol:

Ameena wrote:Yeah, I try and lean or peer in the appropriate direction to see over an edge or up a hill or something in EQ. It's kind of one of those automatic things you do..."Oh, that mob is going behind a tree, let me just lean over so I can keep watching it...oh no, my view isn't moving...Oh yeah, the arrow keys..." :)
What I used to do with the control pad of the consol was to swing it the way I wanted someone to jump. Instead of just pressing the buttons for jump left, for example, I would thrust both my hands that hold the pad over to the left. My son used to shake his head at me when he saw me doing that... :lol: And I also try to look over certain objects or even around the corner. :roll:
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Yeah.. he made the connection that it was on the computer. However didn't lead to the conclusion that it couldn't hurt him just that the computer had an off button :)
BloodFromStone
Expert

Post by BloodFromStone »

That's hilarious, Cow...

I don't usually jump at games, but I do lean and try to peek around corners. I've even been known to turn my head aside and close my eyes when a rocket or grenade is about to go off right next to me.
Resident Evil 4 has gotten me to jump a few times so far, though. Just because the movement is kind of slow and casual, so you aren't whipping around nervously the whole time. You kind of casually turn around after dispatching a monster and there's another right in your face....
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

I am NOT the only person who leans back and forth when I play the game! My sister always laughed at me because when I played racing games (Mario Kart, really - I'm good at that. you don't want to see me play other racing games, I'll do crazy things like play the whole course in reverse because I can't get through it normally), I'd lean to whatever side I was turning. I get really into games. And, of course, I'm the most physically tense person ever when I play Dungeon Master. I can't take more than a minute or two of it before I have to freeze the game and stand up and maybe say something (to someone or myself, doesn't matter) to shake its hold on me. I admit I'm a little crazy.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

You "admit" that you're crazy? But...umm...we're all crazy here...why do you need to admit something that's a common trait to all of us? That makes it sound like a bad thing...Muahahahahahahaaaaa... :twisted:
Expert

Post by Selie »

Do you all talk regularly to yourselves, to pets, or to inanimate objects? It's a bad habit of mine. I tend not to do it as much when other people are around, though.