A meeting this year for the 20th birthday of Dungeon Master?

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

When would you like to meet?

September 1-2
No votes
September 8-9
80%
September 15-16
No votes
September 22-23
No votes
September 29-30
20%

Total votes: 5

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Kulman who started the thread said he could come, so I guess it should hasve some form of Dm flavour ion the second day

And paru nexus said he would try but no one's poked him again yet

Right, crystal palace is between penge and where linflas is staying and is easy to tube from he centre. So thursday night is still up in the air, but might see if we can book a conference room to be based around in one of the hotels there - there was one with fast net access, so if at any point we wanted to actually do any brief window of saying hello to people not there and see their faces too then we could do it.

I imagien the friday being a kinda show and tell of wacky DM stuff, thenby lunchtime us buggering off to do somehting else but time and what everyone brings to it will tell I guess!

I still have a ton of stuff to do for my india trip aswell, so if anyone can do anythign small here, like go e-mail a few people like GG, PaulH, Trant etc and tell them it's all kicking off that would be cool

As I said before cows, since people are spending tons to come over, I don't mind spending the equivalanet in return, so if we have a food or drink kitty that I put alot into, that should severely cut your expenses and give you more fun spending money. No point coming over here just to find you can do stuff all! And i'm sorry to say that we are annoyingly expensive over here - you will be struck with a 2:1 exchange rate from the off right before you find that some stuff is still expensive anyway :(

Bugger, late for work - needed to be in early to meet a venfdor :(
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Cows: Stonehenge is a site to see. I've been there twice, once on a normal day with lots of normal constantly photographing japanese tourists and moms with their crying children and so on, and once on a summers solctice with no advertising in advance, no normal tourists, just about 20000 people that can be counted into alternative community. The atmosphere was just great!

Bit nearer that Stonehenge, in London I found the British Museum quite worthwhile to see. Most other sites I'm very fond of in UK are a bit to distant from London to visit during just a few days there.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, Britsih Museum is well worth a visit, and while you're here, as an artist you can't leave without going to the National Gallery, Tate Britain, Tate Modern and the V&A.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I still can't believe I live close enough to london for two years to do this some weekend or day off and stull never got off my arse to do them

Right, chores call, hopefully can look at stuff later - anyone with any wacky ideas please yell!
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Natural History Museum is great too.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, Natural History Museum and Science Museum aren't bad (next door to each other, nearest Tube station os South Kensington).
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

cowsmanaut wrote:being there is kind of the point mitch.. though perhaps next time? I don't think we'll all be hanging near computers.
Of course it is, but I meant on the day or whatever when people would be playing DM or everything else. I don't have that much free time anymore with getting a job and school coming up. I just thought it would be cool to see whats happening for like 45 minutes or so .
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Joined 27 Feb 2005 as Dark.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

We can play it by ear and maybe have a slot, but remember you are also way behind us time wise - so you'd be getting up say when we might be thinking about getting food :(

Anywya, if can get a room, with internet, can see

Again, no one has firmly said they can take a laptop yet!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Everybody actually coming: Can you please send me PMs containing some means to contact you while travelling, preferably a UK mobile number if you have one, or else a non-UK mobile number, and maybe an email adress? Of course I'll send you mine too in return.

Would be a shame if we travel to London and someone is late, misses us and doesn't have any means to catch up cause he doesn't know where we went.

Instead of sending a PM you can also send me an email to Lunever at yahoo dot de
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I don't have a mobile, or a laptop...I was just gonna get the train to Victoria, meet Wuffy (unless anyone is gonna be in London earlier than whenever that will be - I'll have all day free, after all), and then errm...go wherever it is we were all gonna meet or whatever.
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I still have a prepaid UK T-Mobile card from my last visit some 3 years ago, I dunno if it is still usable, gotta try it. So if I PM anybody here my German and my UK mobile number, don't count that the latter is still working.

I already got a PM from Linflas (I'm currently at work and will reply when I will at least have looked up my old UK mobile number).

Ameena: In that case should anything go wrong we still can contact you from any internet cafee by sending you an email (to the adress you're using for MSN I suppose), or you can use a phone cell to call one of our cell phones.

All: If you want to, before my departure I will make contact information list and mail to anyone involved (and of course anyone who does not want to have his contact information listed won't appear on that list).
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend. I would love to meet you all, and I am very sorry that I can't. So, I really hope you all have a good time together.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That's a shame trant :( IF we do have a general webby webcam thingie then we can leave it open incase you can poke your face in!
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

beowuuf wrote:We can play it by ear and maybe have a slot, but remember you are also way behind us time wise
Time is no big deal I always wake up early and stay up incredibly late, usually the latter of the two though. But if there no laptop then definitely get lots of pictures :D
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Joined 27 Feb 2005 as Dark.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Hey Trant, very sorry to hear that you won't come. Maybe I can visit you in some near future in Hamburg? Aside from that, since you did not mention what exactly is keeping you from meeting with us - if it's only that mid-week date, a couple of us will be there the entire weekend, so visiting just for the weekend might still be worthwhile.

Gosh, found my old UK T-Mobile data. Now I only have to figure out where I stored that SIM-card...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, if I'm already in London, contacting me from an Internet café probably won't be much use as I won't be near a computer myself and I have no idea where any Internet cafés are in London, lol. I mean, I'm sure there are some, somewhere, but...
Anyway, I'll just arrange to meet Wuffy or whoever at the station (we'll swap times and what to look for etc over PMs when stuff has been decided), and go from there ;).
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Ameena: Just to make sure, I'll include you in the contact information email I'll send before leaving anyway, so you can contact anyone of us if you need to.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

ok, so perhaps a londonite can share some wisdom with a poor canadian..

relative costs.

dinners?
shampoo?
toothpaste?
internet cafe?

I've also taken a quick look online at the current weather and it's actually warmer than it is here. So I'm guessing I won't need a sweater?

I'm going to pick up a voltage converter tomorrow too.

just trying to figure out everything I need. :S
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

dinner - £5 - 10 quid depending what you want, shampoo about £4 for a large bottle, toothpast £1 or more, internet cafe probably £1 an hour half hour (haven't used one in ages)

Weather here is so changeable, I personally always say dress unsuitably no matter what - too heavy for sun and too light for rain :D

Dunno about london itself, but basingstoke can be changeable dureing the day

If the weather's goign to be nice though, definitely crystal palace area then for park :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

The weather atm isn't particularly cold, but in case it rains I keep my waterproof with me in my bag anyway, just in case ;).
Omg less than a week to go now, wheee :D.
So what exactly is happening on the Thursday anyway?
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

The idea of renting a conference room in a hotel seems good, but who is taking care of it?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Beo & Gambit: Indeed, pick a location where we'll meet, be it a conference room or just a pub.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I seem to have half volunteered half been left to pick both, am tryign to fit in looking for both between india stuff and general de-stressing

I have no idea of a location for pub yet, I woudl suggest central location sicne I have not got Thuirsday off, therefore I am coming straight from work

Actually, if someone else could meet Ameena early at victoria that means she can enjoy the day, and leaves me free to go directly.

Leave work 5.30 get train 6.00 - 6.30 get to london for 7 means I oculdnt' meet ameena until before 7.30 being paranoid, which loses the start of the night already!

Friday - I will try to look into it but have no time over lunch to phone aroudn so will do it this evening or the weekend (again, in between travel stuff). Anyway, idea is still get conference room at crystal palace area, which seems to be close to gambit so he can nip out and back if he is time limited durign the day, lets us set up stuff, but also gives us a few nice places to go to if in turns into a social thing instead of 'look at all this cool DM stuff' day

I will proabbly need to travel to get my visa on the friday afetr making sure the hotel is set, but otherwise will be free

Will need to play it by ear as to whether i will stay in london overnight and leave first thing, or go back home (there are fast busses runnign from basingstoke to heathrow, so now too bad for geting there in the mornign for me either way)

Anyway, so that's the idea - thursday pub/resteraunt, friday conference room, if someone spots anythign great I am happy to pick up any tabs so I guess co-ordinate with lunever with my address/tel number if you need anythign like that

Ogh, and the e-mail address I gave lunever is my personal one, so I won't be puttign that one in zyx's thread, and dont' wish it given out to non-regulars!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ok, just booked the Queen's hotel for friday - simple room to do as we want, and a very simple buffet so we have finger food to eat, though I assume we would probably perhaps impose on the hiotel resteraunt depending on hunger, or go out and about (it's apparently a good area for pubs and stuff)

Right, time to do my india visa info and need to get an early night for my 5.30am start to london! Buuuuuut, will try to both pm / email some people and also look for thursday evening pubs
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Thank you!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Thanks me if everything goes off without a hitch ;)
Sabreman
Craftsman

Post by Sabreman »

Hi people, I got a PM from beo regarding this. I knew it was going to be very unlikely I could attend, and unfortunately I was right. I just can't get away from work as we're short-staffed covering holidays at the moment :(

I hope everyone has a great time though, and I look forward to stories and pics :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Omg it's this week :O. Wheee...:D
So...err, Zyx did you say you could meet me on the Thursday? If so, can we take it to PMs to arrange a time and everything? I like to have these things planned out in advance, you see ;).
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Hahaha. Planning in advance with me is a sweet dream!
I still don't know for sure if I'm coming. I'll contact you as soon as I am certain.