male to female gamers

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

male to female gamers

Post by cowsmanaut »

according to some quick research I found a 60/40 split on male to female gamers, which was a bit higher than I expected. Which lead me to look a little more. This is a show that more and more women are taking up gaming.

That said, I've known a number of women who play.. including several of my past GF and my current wife. It's just a matter of what games they enjoy. For Sandie, this sims, LBP, Soul Calibur, Civilization, oblivion, Sudoku, etc. She does play a few violent games but not really into the shooting specific type. Where as my past roomate was all about shooting people in the head or racing down a track. My ex was more into swearing repeatedly at mario in his various incarnations and really only seemed to enjoy mario kart as it was the only one she didn't tend to swear at... though I have to admit.. I swear at mario all the time.. his jump and dodge variety of games are often frustration in a pretty package. Point is I think a large number of females enjoy the games like the SIMs or other less violent games that still have a purpose. I have also noticed women in my industry often go towards management type jobs. Perhaps a latent expression of the mothering instinct? as sexist as that may sound being from a guy, it does seem a sound theory as women have been shown to have the ability to focus on multiple things at once more efficiently than men who tend to focus intently on one thing. Their study stating that men being hunters and the women defenders of children... but I digress..

Often I've seen women who have taken up watching sports and cheering for the sake of trying to indentify or attract a male. I'm sure in this ration of women gamers there are a few of those too.. gaming for guys which brings us to the next study:

Female gamers get more sex according to this survey...
"It’s official – women who play video games have sex more often! Gametart, the UK’s largest online games rental company, carried out the survey throughout January to see how the recent influx of the likes of Pink
PSPs and DS Lites would affect gamers’ sex lives across the country.

The results were surprising.

Of our sample of 200 women, those who played video games on average had sex 4.3 times a week while those who didn’t play games only had sex just 3.2 times a week.

Perhaps even more promising for gamers is the fact that many of the women that we interviewed who have only recently started playing games said that they now have sex more often than before.

Gamers have never had it so good!"

additional information on those previous numbers"
female, age = +18 --> 26 %
male, age = +18 --> 38 %

female, age = -18 --> 12 %
male, age = -18 --> 21 %

indicating there are more women (over 18) playing game than boys (under 18).

As I mentioned in the other thread. Women were the original computers during the war, and when they were replaced by machines the name "computer" remained. Several of those women were then helping in the assembly and use of those new machines. One of those women Grace Hopper, was the first to state that computers would make it into peoples homes and that computers could be used via a computer language rather than punch cards and binary. So, to make her point, she developed one. So, computers are indeed the domain of women.

I had one ex who was somehow taught that computer things were a mens world and not meant for women.. she asked that I change the time on her DVD because it was a mans job and too complicated for a woman to figure out .. :P