Doctorate without high school diploma

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
T0Mi
Expert

Re: oh no, more horses.

Post by T0Mi »

just a thought...

Let's take it granted for a moment, and assume it is possible to transfer a thought telepathically.
Usually we just tell the other person what he or she wants to know. If he or she is not present we pick up a phone. Quite simple and everydays way of transfering thoughts. We can also use gestures or 'make a face' to send messages, and those are way harder to detect. Couples have been known to develop a way of paralanguage only the two will understand ("I want to leave this party -NOW-" :-))

The more subtle it goes, the more the message comes in a 'signal' way, a single pulse or pattern of pulses, which still may contain larger amount of information. Of course, this is our turf.

A horse can be trained to solve something like 176235 minus 176230. The audience knows the answer, and with the 5th hoofpaw they will unconsciously relax in a way the equine is able to detect as a signal to stop pawing.

Non-humans are known to be aware of oncoming natural desasters like earthquakes or tsunamis. It can probably be proven that they are physically sensitive enough to sense the vibrations and know instictivly it's time to run.

All of these examples can be measured in one or the other way. Some with effort.

What if a message is send so unrecognizable that it can't be measured, proofen? Not with our current knowledge and equipment. We'd probably give such a thing a strange name. "Telepathy" may be one of them.

However, this does not cover the mindread part, though. Or does it?

ehh..
T0Mi
Duckman
Adept

Re: Doctorate without high school diploma

Post by Duckman »

Congratultions! If you ask me it is respectable achievement if you are durable enough to finish your college studies (vocational school requires less effort at least here), so this is ASTONISHING!
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
zoom
Grand Master

Re: Doctorate without high school diploma

Post by zoom »

It makes me sad that you are a DEAF person, btw. :(