footprints

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
T0Mi
Expert

footprints

Post by T0Mi »

Has anyone checked out sites like http://www.earthday.net/footprint2/flash.html ?

It calculates your "footprint" you will leave behind when you are gone.
"Footprint" means the number of earths needed if everyone on this planet would live your kind of lifestyle.

I'm scoring a lame 2,9. :-(
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: footprints

Post by Gambit37 »

Most people in the western world will have something well over 1. Unfortunately, even though most westerners now have a good grasp of the problem, very few are actually bothering to change their life styles. It'll all collapse within the next hundred years though and we'll go back to simpler living. Shame I'll be dead; I can't wait!
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

I have not cheked thta page but I have seen one where it tells you how large is your "ecologic footprint", meaning how much about you exhaust land on earth with your spending. It was finnish, can't remember where it was.

These give a good idea about your lifestyle, BUT they aren't nearly accurate. If you die at early age the real result might even be under 1, for example.
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

One of my colleagues made a large research on ecological footprint, she calculated ecological footprint of Czechoslovakia in development for every year since 1920 and compared it with data on Austria. So I know that this indicator is very "educative", but also very rough and inaccurate. It's rather old - today we have better (but maybe not that "educative") measures.
Duckman wrote:If you die at early age the real result might even be under 1, for example.
I haven't checked the mentioned website yet, the original method may be very simplified or altered there, but ecological footprint should normally be calculated per annum, using data on actual consumption etc., and thus showing your "current" or annual consumption.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I call bullshit.

I scored a rather deplorable 3.5 (which is funny, because I conserve a lot more than most people I know) but anyway, I went back and re-did it using the most "third world" answers I could come up with. That is, infrequent meat, 100% locally grown food, no electricity, no running water, 7+ people in a house, no car, etc. Not much recycling, either, but anyway-- I still came up with a score of 3.2. So whatever.

On the other hand, if I lived in Switzerland, I'd apparently only need 2.1 Earths to sustain more or less my same lifestyle, or, at least, to answer the quiz about the same way. I guess the best thing I can do for the environment, then, is pack up and move to Switzerland. :mrgreen:
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

But you have to swim there. :wink:

EDIT: If anyone is more interested in these things, I can only recommend results of the research of our Austrian colleagues - go to http://www.uni-klu.ac.at/socec/inhalt/2841.htm and click on "Get Data". You can download an Excel file. In this file, look in sheets "Material flows" and "Energy flows". Data on "Metabolic rate" (energy per capita per year) on lines 41 (Materials) and 47 (Energies) give you a good comparison of energy and material consumption patterns in different countries. Of course, it is a "top-down" approach, i.e. it doesn't take into account variations between individual people, but only average data for countries, so of course "Western post-materialists and environmentalists" have a better profile then their country's averages. :wink:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Am I supposed to have a higher number or a lower.. because I'm way up there :P