Bad day

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Maven
Apprentice

Re: Bad day

Post by Maven »

Well, you realize that we're all going to die, right? And any time you get a pet, it'll probably die before you do, right? But that doesn't help, does it?

Yeah, I've been there myself. Had so many pets die it's not usually a big deal any more. But there was one...

We had a St. Bernard. He had a gift for making the hurt go away. If I came home from work frustrated or disgusted, or if my wife was hormonal and I couldn't do anything right, all I had to do was take him for a walk down to the pond and the stress would melt away. He also had a gift for choosing people. He was normally pretty amiable to everyone, but there was one guy that he just did NOT like. Always growled at him, and almost even bit him once. We couldn't figure it out until months later when we found out what this guy was really like. He wasn't just a snake, he was evil. We learned to trust our dog. And yeah, when he finally died, that was a sad day. Like you, we knew it was coming, and it was better for him he was hurting so bad. But that only helped a little bit.

Ever thought of turning him into a diamond? Seems there are several companies that will take his cremated carbon and compress them into a diamond. It's not cheap, though. Here's one:

http://www.lifegem.com/secondary/belove ... n2006.aspx
Maven
Apprentice

Post by Maven »

So here's a theological question:

Lots of religions believe in an afterlife of some type or another. Do you believe in an afterlife, and if so, do you believe that our pets might be there with us?

If I end up in some sort of heaven, it would sure be cool to have my St. Bernard there with me!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I think this theological question should be put in a new thread.

Myself, I don't believe in any form of afterlife. The world existed without me, and it will continue without me. I think the reason why most (all?) religions believe in some form of afterlife is that human beings are not capable of accepting their own insignificance. They need to be given hope that there is a meaning in their existence, that everything will be alright in the end. This comfort helps them to deal with the struggles of everyday life and is, in my opinion, the very essence of why there even are religions.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

As Trantor, I also don't believe in afterlife. Of course, I have no problem with people who believe in it. Both things have their pros and cons, as religion itself.
Trantor wrote:I think this theological question should be put in a new thread.
Or this would enable us (me) to forget about the "bad day topic"?

I was just thinking about our dog and all the things he did - fox-terriers love digging, and he turned the whole garden upside down. It was full of holes. He was obsessed with digging things in and out. My mum was planting some flowers, in a row, you know, and he was walking behind her in a silence and pulling the small plants out - at the end of the row my mum turned back and she saw all the plants lying on the earth and the dog sitting there with a smart smile on his face. Once, we gave him some dumplings with meat, and he dug the dumplings in the garden and we found them only one year later. And so on. It was a smart dog. And he loved plums! So, in the autumn, when we were harvesting plums, he climbed up the ladder on the tree to get the plums, but he couldn't get down because he was unable to turn on the ladder, lol, so I had to carry him down. :lol:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!