RIP Carl Macek

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

RIP Carl Macek

Post by cowsmanaut »

didn't know his name until he died, but was very greatfull for his efforts in bringing Anime to north America. Robotech was one of my favorite shows when I was a kid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Macek
T0Mi
Expert

Re: RIP Carl Macek

Post by T0Mi »

Don't recognize anything he has done.

But any person bringing some Fantasy into our world is to be honored beyond death.

Rest in Peace.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I didn't know him either. But Macek is definitely a Czech surname - or Slovak... :)

R.I.P. :|
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Ahh... Robotech, i discovered it quite later... named Macross.
Thanks to him anyway but the way he brought Robotech is known to be controversal. He picked episodes from several "Macross" series and tried to make them consistent while characters and periods differ quite a lot. And unfortunately, there have been also a lot of censorship...
People know Robotech in EU because it was bought "as is" by tv channels (La Cinq, Raï, maybe others ?).

I don't know if Mr Macek was a pioneer in anime but Hanna & Barbera had brought Battles of the Planets several years before... A crappy stealing of Gatchaman series.
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well, while growing up in quebec, the best cartoons on were Anime. I watched Voltron (there were two different voltrons from different planets and thus different shows), Robotech(macross), Tranzor Z, goldorak, and yes battle of the planets. There certainly were a few more cartoons I enjoyed which were not done directly in Japan (though the toys were), transformers, GI.Joe, and others like he-man.. but to be honest, I'd have to say the Anime ones were my favorites.. if not for people like him I would never have seen those cartoons in north america... and yet as I said, I had no idea who he was until he died.

As for editing the shows is still heavily done here in north america as some of the content in these "cartoons" are not really suited for children. However some have not been edited at all but as such are presented as NOT for children. Ninja scrolls for example.. :P
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

if you liked Macross, i suggest to you find (the way you like) "Macross Frontier", a 26 eps series = classic 2d anime + 3d mecha cartoon rendering + great story + idols + awesome bgm :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k0FvxERb-M
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

it's not that I like it better without the sex, I just know that people around here have no idea a lot of japanese anime has sex/nudity as well as major blood vomiting and other stuff, and because they are ignorant of this they let their kids watch it and go off doing something else while little johnny is watching violent rapes of school girls by demons with thorns on their penis... and no.. that description was not one I made up off the top of my head, that was actually in an Anime cartoon lent to me by a friend who apparently had a large collection of Anime from Japan... I was a little "WTF?" when I first pressed play and saw this.. I think ejected the VHS and gave it back :P