Rioting in Vancouver

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Rioting in Vancouver

Post by cowsmanaut »

It's funny.. not haha.. but in a sad sort of pathetic way..

Canadians are known for their love of hockey.. I'm not one of those.. but I know that most of us are. In vancouver, there has not been a final win in ages and people were very excited to have a chance at the cup. Though not being a fan, I was happy that they got this close.. happy for them. That changed to disgust when I saw how the spoiled little brats reacted to losing.

There was one point made about how we as a city made it to second place! which is indeed a great job. However, it seems people felt it a good idea to respond to their dissapointment by lighting cars on fire, smashing and destroying buildings, beating people to a bloody pulp... and other such wonderous things.

Yes, i once posted about how lovely our city was.. and how it was number 3 in the world for quality of living.. I even started that post on many reasons to visit vancouver... but now.. i must say... don't bother. We're not worth it...

what's worse.. is it's not the first.. and based on what's happened.. possibly not the last.. I'm beside myself with embarrassment.. the only positive thing in all of this is with the number of cameras in cell phones and facebook connections.. many of the people responsible have been identified.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/2011 ... story.html
Bit
Arch Master

Re: Rioting in Vancouver

Post by Bit »

Hehe, filled the news here too :D
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Yeah, I was pretty shocked when I saw it on the news. But don't worry too much about it, Cows. Fools are everywhere and I'm pretty sure that just a tiny fraction of the citizens was involved - it's always like this. It doesn't change the fact that Vancouver is one of the best cities on the planet. And - who knows - maybe this incident will lead to some positive reaction. I guess that many people - maybe including you - will become involved in some sort of spontaneous grassroots "anti-movement". Always look on the bright side of... human stupidity. :wink:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

As with all events of this kind, they are generally started by anarchists, and not genuine fans.

That said, the genuine fans who joined in and got caught up in it should feel ashamed of themselves. It's pretty sad that people would react this way over losing a game.

It just goes to show that obsession about one thing (a sport in this case), is a very dangerous thing indeed! It makes people behave erratically. I mean, look at us lot on this forum! ;-)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Interesting: outing the perps using social media:
http://blog.deliciousjuice.com/2011/06/16/only-human/
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

it wasn't a small enough fraction Jan.. it was a horrid display of how a group mentality works. Indeed there were those who went down there well prepared to do damage and perhaps only with the intent of doing that. However the willingness of the very LARGE amount of others to join in was horrible. The fact that this has happened already in 1994 and that they claim that it's WORSE this time around doesn't offer me much hope for the future.

Gambit, yes there have been a large number of people outed even by friends and family who have seen their images on places like facebook and flickr .. The fact that in todays society we have a camera in every phone and most have smart phones which have direct connection to the net.. means that as soon as the photo is taken it can be on the internet and evidence within a matter of seconds. Gone are the days of people taking and breaking cameras to stop such evidence.. With that in mind you'd think people would back down.. but no, they were there proudly having their photo taken.. like they just had done something great.. worthy of reward. This is the fact that scares me most.

I've noted a change towards greater violent tendencies in the local teens. Teens in an area where they have more than enough resources to do anything.. their parents have money, there are rec centers with tonnes of activities, there are movie theaters, malls, close enough to a fair where they can go on rides, etc. There is no real excuse for the delinquent acts.. unless it's at home. How do I consider as a future parent that my own parenting skills mean very little when surrounded by so many of ill will? I had teens smoking on the bus a while back and I asked them to put it out.. there was a pregnant woman on the bus and a variety of older folks... no one willing to say anything. What was their response..? a warning to turn around and mind the seat in front of me.. "for your own good" .. teens.. not even out of highschool.. I didn't back down and one of them tried his best to intimidate me by pushing me around.. but in the end they backed off.. but how long before they don't? They are already pushing the limits to far, without reason or care for those around them.

No, I'm beginning to feel somewhat desperate.. that society is failing.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Interesting to hear about your experiences on the bus. Years ago, I too would have said something, but not these days, and especially not in London: fear of being knifed or worse is very real. People have been killed by teens for merely standing up to them, and while it really pains me to not be strong enough to do that these days, I'm not prepared to risk my life.

You're right about most of the people in the riots being "of means". It seems like many of the current generation have so much stuff, so much indulgence, but they've not learned how lucky they are and have no awareness about their place in the world or what's important. Rioting because your team lost? That's just pathetic. In London, the student riots over student fees recently were perhaps better behaved, but it did worry me that many of the kids interviewed really didn't seem to understand the arguments on both sides of that issue and didn't really know what they were demonstrating for! And most of them seemed to be well-off white middle class monied kids who can afford the education anyway... but that's another discussion!

On the flip side, the poorer kids get involved in the seedier side of life. In particular gang culture in London is a massive problem and it's become "normal" that teens are killing each other over gang territory feuds. When we were kids, we still had those feuds (it's a natural part of growing up) and maybe sometimes these became serious fist-fights (especially when it was "school rivaly") -- but no-one would have dreamed pulling a knife or anything like that. Modern kids have just taken it to the next level, which they now consider normal.

Of course, this needs to be changed, but it can only be changed through better parenting and adults taking back the mantle of being "grown up" and being able to tell kids when they are behaving incorrectly, without fear of being knifed for simply being the grown up. I too feel a bit desparate -- society is definitely failing and there doesn't seem to be anything we can do unless we set our fears aside and step up to the plate and reverse these worrying trends.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well, it seems like a regression. Somewhat like lord of the flies. When children are left to their own devices they regress to the basest of human tendencies. Educating them of moral obligation, and setting limits is important. Allowing them video games and HBO 24/7 to baby sit is not.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

doesn't really make up for it all.. but it does show there are a number of people out there who feel the riot should never have happened.. and the clean up volunteers are proof of that.. but sad that so many good people feel the need to make up for what a bunch of A-holes did...

http://twitpic.com/5cttg8
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Don't ask about my experiences in our town. They even started a campaign against violence now.
But what if this is unstoppable? See the riots everywhere.
If this gets really dangerous for the establishment - some could decide to arrange a lil war for a lil cleanup...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Demonstrations for a cause are necessary to move things forward. Violent demonstrations shouldn't be condoned, but it's actually the thing that got most countries a fair democracy! Revolutions are necessary for progress. We can't ignore our past.

Rioting for the sake of it, over some trivial thing like losing a game, is a much more serious problem though. But it just reflects the anger and rage that's always simmering below the civilised mask of society. While I don't think the Vancouver riots have much to say about that, there is surely an undercurrent of fear and anger in western societies at the moment -- and it will manifest itself in all sorts of ways until people feel secure again about their future.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Absolutely agree to that Gambit!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

yeah, it is sad to see such recklessness :( but what can be expected with society. the game itself is physical, and the advertisements on TV are rigged to hype the fans up while drinking. most physical sports end in this same result. nothing has changed much, just now irate fans can boast how stupid they are with their cell phones and websites. i wouldn't count on this ever going away, unless some sort of draconian method is implemented. took my kids to a hockey game, and learned never to do it again because it was not teaching them anything good. problem with teaching about winning is that it's even harder to teach how to lose. it would have been nice to see Vancouver win but not to worry, a third of the Bostons players were Canadian. i ask people what they mean when they say We Won, we're #1, heh, who won? :) what is a Canadian? Is it OK for an American to score a Canadian winning goal and vice versa , does this count? all i know is that it's fun to watch and play hockey with children and not so with adults.
keep your gor coin handy