Renaissance Fests

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
lavalevel
Novice

Renaissance Fests

Post by lavalevel »

The Houston Renaissance festival is underway! I am so excited too because my lovely fiancé woke me up asking what day she should get off work so that we could go! If it wasn't for her friend posting a picture of riding a camel on facebook this wouldn't have happened! My fiancé was quite -"meh"- about the whole idea until she saw that.(she loves seeing animals)

Do any of you guys/gals get to get out to go to RenFests in your neck of the woods? Ours is HUGE! and very worth checking out. http://texrenfest.com

I love the armory there.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Re: Renaissance Fests

Post by Jan »

lavalevel wrote:I love the armory there.
Oh, and I love the "Festival Feasting" part of the web. :)

Anyway, I've never been to anything like a "Renaissance Fest" and I'm not quite sure if such things are organised here. Probably yes, but certainly on a much smaller scale. It's a pity, perhaps, because it must be a lot of fun, especially for kids - like us, for example. :)

Enjoy your fest, Lavalevel! :P
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I listen to the AON podcast at http://www.aonpodcast.com (nothing to do with Project AON or Lone Wolf), and they are Renfest guys based in ...umm...Minnesota?..., so keep hearing inside stuff about it. Never attended one!
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Will there be dragons? :P
lavalevel
Novice

Post by lavalevel »

ha! I think all the dragons have been slain.

This is the actually the worst website TRF has ever had. You would think from watching that video that the Texas Ren Fest is just a buffet. But this being Texas there is no shortage of awesome food. The complex is huge and stretches for miles with castle walls, villages, shops, stages, performances, jousting. But yea...that video is buffet, buffet, buffet.. They have an organic vine maze thing, but that's about it for dungeon crawling. :/

I've been to one in the midwest 20 something years ago. Appears to have just ended this season. It was awesome, however their website sucks badly http://www.renaissancefest.com/ The TRF I think holds the crown as the biggest.

There are also a lot of spin off fest going through out the year. The Scarbourough fair North of Dallas is mighty impressive and has an awesome map (no annoying sounds on website like Minn. sorry about that) http://www.srfestival.com/festival-map/ ... l-map.html

I think I might buy a sword.
This year is renfest time.
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

Hey lavalevel, I also live in Texas and make sure to spend a weekend camping at the TRF every single year. Let me know when you're going, I usually go the weekend before the last one; to avoid the massive crowds that both halloween weekend and the last weekend bring. If we're there at the same time, I'll buy you a beer. I can't afford to buy you a sword, though; I'm afraid. =P
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

I don't know of any such festivals near where I live. It would be fun to check something like that out though, so I hope there is something...

As for swords, I have a fried who actually has a real sword. He got it for martial arts classes he used to study... Tae Soo DO is what he studied at the time.