impact of war on families

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

impact of war on families

Post by cowsmanaut »

I've started on my degree which will take me a few years to complete, but I plan to eventually deliver my final project on the impact of war on families. I was wondering if anyone has any stories to relate (perhaps shared by parents) about growing up in a house with a war survivor, or lack of one. Or, perhaps have a parent or sibling who has been to war.. or even stories relating to this from a POW.. It's meant to be a focus of how it impacts the various relationships with the spouse and children. I'm looking for common threads in how kids were raised, or how relationships suffered or grew.. both positive and negative (if any of either exist) .. We often tend to focus on the survivors of the war, and those who died.. but rarely talk about this other side.

I know that my girlfriend in highschool had her uncle who was a veteran live with her, and he was a bit nuts.. kept full war motif in his room, and he'd suddenly begin to yell and go a bit nuts, only to calm down later..

My wife has spoken about her grandparents and how they had survived in the war, and how it was in the house with them afterwards.. it was this that got me started.. thinking about it.

anyway, theories and second hand accounts are also appreciated.. anything really.

Thanks
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: impact of war on families

Post by Gambit37 »

This is a very interesting subject and I imagine it will raise a lot of emotional issues which might be hard to handle. However, good luck with it.

It's possible that some of my mother's problems (schizophrenia, multiple personality) were in part contributed to by a particular incident she witnessed as a child after being evacuated from London. I don't know that it offers much content for your thesis, but I'm happy to pen something about if you're interested?
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Wow, sounds good, that's an interesting topic (also close to my professional interests). Good luck with it!

Fortunately, all my immediate family survived WWII without any real danger in the rather calm "Protectorate" so no big stories for me to tell here (*) - the only stories cover the very ending of the war with the ruins of the German army being pursued through our area by the Soviets to the west. The "big stories" in our family only start with the communist coup in 1948 when s**t really started hitting the fan here... :|

(*) Except, of course, the very remote branches of the family that were Jewish and that were exterminated in the camps. :|
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Gambit yes please! anything is good as a resource. It's as much our perceptions as anything. We are affected by the war even generations after I think. Also, all names will be protected, though we're all using aliases here (yes I know most of your real names anyway.. but you get the idea).. :)

oh and Jan, it doesn't need to be WWII.. any major conflict that had an impact on families
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I can offer a little about my grandfather (WW2)... but they are views that came from conversations with my mother, and as such are second hand. He died before i was born so unfortunately this is all i have to go on. My parents died a few years ago, so i can get no further information. Not sure how much of a resource this would be, but i'll pm you the details if you like.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

anything you want to share, either openly here or in PM is fine with me.. I'd like to get as broad a picture as I can.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

ok, well I've got one story now.. and i still have about 4 years to collect more, but if anyone else wants to share ?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I've sent you a PM.