Dungeon Hunger

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
dayday2008
Journeyman

Dungeon Hunger

Post by dayday2008 »

Hello to any one who may read this :)

I am still trying to complete the original DM. (lame, I know :? )

Anyway, when I am making my way through the dungeon I worry that i may run out of food, therfore, I try to eat as little as possible and store as much food as I can in my champion's backpacks. However, doing this somtimes takes up too much space and I have trouble deciding which items are most important and which I can leave behind.

Should I be having this difficulty? I will be very greatful for any help and advice :D
Revolutionary Greetings!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i keep the valuable food items (dragon steaks, drumsticks and cheese) for later and eat the others immediately after picking them up.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, eat when you find it. And if you need more, you can go back to the screamer room on Level 4 or the rats on level 9 -- they regenerate, so you can top up your food.
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

Screamer room ftw.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Out of curiosity, how far have you got through the dungeon? You might be fairly near the end and therefore not really need to save up so much ;).
But food isn't really a major problem in DM, I don't think, unless you somehow manage to get stuck for hours at a time. I normally have stacks of Screamer Slices and drumsticks left over by the time I get to the end, never mind "normal" food (bread, corn, etc)
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Food can sometimes be a problem in three if you spend ages there, then once you get wormies then that level the water is the problem

Once you get to level 9 you can drop stuff in the end of level and know you can come back to it via the skeleton stairwell (if you get the keys)

Once you can cast enough YA potions, you can stave off the effects of hunger if you under-pack for food. Always keep water topped up and handy I feel!
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

First time I played I ended up dying from hunger somwhere around hmm... 8-10th level I think :D
Time passes and you laugh at your past mistakes :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Playing the game subsequent times, when you know what you are doing, is amazing for how much less you consume resources. Exploration and experimentation take so much time!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

You don't need food if you have a fair level of water left and can keep it there and vice versa. So you can survive just with water and no food, but your
stamina will not go above half the max value and sleep will not be
as refreshing overall, but you survive!
dayday2008
Journeyman

Post by dayday2008 »

Thanks again for your input folks :D
No longer shall I worry about stavation.

As for Ameena's question,
''Out of curiosity, how far have you got through the dungeon?''
The furthest I remember getting was to a room with lots of yellow scorpions :( and I could only advance through the room by choosing the right path or else I'd have to start again from the begining of that room :x

If this poor description makes any sense please let me know how far I was, thankyou :)
Revolutionary Greetings!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, the only level containing Scorpions is level 10. I can't remember encountering a room with "lots" of them, but then I tend to just charge through the dungeon these days so they don't really have a chance to keep spawning.
Anyway, you've got quite far then :).
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

maybe you talk about the final room in scorpion level near the place you find the
Spoiler
magnifier and a cool axe
: there's a scorpion generator not far from there. if your progress is very slow, you can have generated several of them !
dayday2008
Journeyman

Post by dayday2008 »

Big yellow scorpions scare me so I dont like the thought of them spawning, I didn't realize the creatures re-spawned I pressumed there was a set amount. :cry:

''Time is of the essence''
Revolutionary Greetings!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh yeah, the Scorpion noise is freaky, isn't it! Bleh. Nasty sods, they are :P. Just blow them up with a few high-level fireballs or shut them in a door or something :twisted:.
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i heard that DES VEN was very efficient against them..
kofeur
Neophyte

Post by kofeur »

The first time I ever played DM I died of hunger.
Then my friends told me 'you should nevre sleep!!'... Which I did, the only place I slept was next to the screamer room to train :)

I also remember DES VEN being efficient against scorpions.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I believe the poison cloud worked well between the bars of the two gates.

I remember the poison bomb, but will have to practice to remember some of the "oldies/goldies" spells.
"Wuuf's big brother"
dayday2008
Journeyman

Re: Dungeon Hunger

Post by dayday2008 »

I would just like to say that my hunger probelms were solved in the end due to the screamer room and the rat room. These rooms proved to be vital for supplies and training once I found out where the spawning mechanism was. Never again did my party go hungry and battling a room full of creatures was both enjoyable and rewarding.
Revolutionary Greetings!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Once you've played DM through at least once you should hopefully find that food is no longer a problem because you don't spend so much time running about going "Aaargh I'm lost, wtf am I supposed to do now?" or similar ;). When I play DM these days I end up having too much food, though I suppose that is partially affected by the fact that I only take two people through the dungeon now. Even so, I have enough food for several chests' worth. So my team doesn't tend to get a chance to feast on dragon steaks because I eat the crappy foods first (after cheese, because that's the heaviest food so I get rid of it first to conserve carrying capacity) so I'm usually still working my way through Screamer slices and stuff by the time the Dragon conks it, so I end up leaving him strewn over the floor where he dies ;).
Journeyman

Post by dayday2008 »

Ameena wrote:"Aaargh I'm lost, wtf am I supposed to do now?"
Quite right Ameena I said that rather alot, lol, but now that i'm offically a veteran I shouldn't have so much trouble
Revolutionary Greetings!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Heh okay, now take your DM party through to CSB. If you think you got stuck a bit in DM, heh...well, let me just say I'm sure we shall all empathise with your reaction to the starting position of your party once they arrive in the CSB dungeon :D.
Journeyman

Post by dayday2008 »

Ameena wrote:Heh okay, now take your DM party through to CSB.
Should i be able to do this on my amiga if i can find a copy of csb?
Revolutionary Greetings!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh, you're playing on an Amiga? Ahh, I had assumed you were using RTC or some other recent clone thingy. Umm...having never owned an Amiga, I have no idea how they work in comparison to an Atari (which is what I originally played it on), but there was a way to import your DM party into CSB on the Atari, anyway, as there is with every other clone, so I'm guessing you can do that, yes.
Or just download one of the clone-versions (RTC, CSBWin, etc) from the Net and play it from there...though of course that would mean starting again unless you have some kind of uber-widget that can somehow read the data from Amiga disks and convert your saved game or something, lol. Well, that kind of thing probably does actually exist somewhere, but meh, I dunno ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Amiga has the same thing, if you can get a hold of the disk (I couldn't back in the day) they you could port them over.
dayday2008
Journeyman

Post by dayday2008 »

Ameena wrote:Oh, you're playing on an Amiga?
I use my amiga because i dont have a home pc :-)
beowuuf wrote:Amiga has the same thing, if you can get a hold of the disk
What disk do you speak of? The original game disk or some other kind of disk?
Revolutionary Greetings!
Hajo
Craftsman

Post by Hajo »

dayday2008 wrote: I am still trying to complete the original DM. (lame, I know :? )
I never completed it. I can blame a defect floppy drive though that ate my saved games. Twice. But now knowing that there are version of DM that I could play on my current hardware, might make me try again :)

So, you're not alone!
dayday2008
Journeyman

Post by dayday2008 »

I've completed it now Hajo although it's been about 15 years since the first time I played.
If your current hardware is a PC then great! You can get any DM software you want, I believe!
Revolutionary Greetings!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I mean the CSB game was natively available for Amiga (unlike the PC), but you'd still have to luck finding it on ebay, in a carboot sale, etc

It has been ripped for use under emulation, not sure if there is a way to reverse that process and write it back onto an HD disk
dayday2008
Journeyman

Post by dayday2008 »

I should be able to find CSB on ebay but it'll probs cost £20 for a copy in good condition :-)
Revolutionary Greetings!
Hajo
Craftsman

Post by Hajo »

I think I'll try the DSB engine with the converted Dungeon Master dungeon. Maybe later I can try to make a dungeon for that on my own.