Replay and reinvigorated

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Replay and reinvigorated

Post by PaulH »

After a good two years or so I decided to play the original dungeon again. And was suprised how much I had forgotten and how much I enjoyed it. Little things, maybe ones I would miss on speed runs, but this time round were genuine challenges.

Even more so in CSB! Only had vague recollections of the DDD, which bit was where, and basically had to relearn the area.

What was even more suprising is that I forgot how to play my own bloody dungeons! I have to laugh at cursing some 'ridiculous' design only to realise I designed it!

Tip: have a break, take a team or character you wouldn't normally.
Broken_Paladin
Craftsman

Post by Broken_Paladin »

I might play dm2 again sometime, it's a game that never gets old.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

how funny ! i started again CSB yesterday with my favourite team (Itza, Plague, Kazai and Petal), but considering your tip, i may restart with other champions..
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

The best news is that you are back Paul! :D I also replayed DM once with characters that I normally never use (I think it was Hawk, Nabi, Wu Tse and Leif), and it was a fun experience. I can also understand you forgetting your own dungeon designs, this even happens to me now that my dungeon isn't even finished yet!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Good to be back! I seem to be nomadic lol.

My plan at the moment is to revise ToC for the last time: mainly as a refresher course with the editors to put me in good stead for completing HoD. The revisions will be minor, just tweaks and editing a few bugs.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Nice idea, it was ages ago that I last played ToC, replaying a tweaked version would be great fun! And as you can probably tell from my responses on the Custom Dungeons forums, I'm still very keen on playing HoD. :wink:
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

As you know, have just played it through again, and having forgotten some parts makes the play testing more realistic. Room for improvement, and will probably chuck a new area in, couple of new monsters, and a weapon or two ;-)

Looked through my speed run of DM too, not that impressed really, had a lot of luck: can see a sub 30minute path trough.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

HoD doesn't mean "Hordes of Darkness"? - All these abbrev. don't help much.
I guess back in times of the amiga I had good chances to compete in speed runs; when I found out about this forum here - some years back - my "getting used to" dm had already been greatly diminished. Reestablishing this dm feat would be hard/ probably my reflexes are not that super anymore, too!

long talk short sense: life continues and we forget and change , but that is not inherently bad... I play dm differently than years back, and not that often anymore//
chinese proverb:
knowledge, if not being multiplied (on a daily basis), deteriorates.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Hand of Destiny! I started work on it a few years ago with the advent of DSAs, but got sidetracked - am just getting back into the game again.

Using CSBWin and the timing feature I completed original DM is 31mins 45 secs, but am confident of better ;-)
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

what is the timing feature? to save and reload many times(logs) and then make a whole movie out of that?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

The timer counts ticks - 6 per second, plus a tick per action ie movement, sword swing etc. Time is speeded up when you are sleeping.

All the speed runs are done without saving, in one hit!
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

All the speed runs are done without saving
And that is what makes the achievements
really amazing! I have finished CSB without saving
several times but certainly not when I was
in a big hurry. I took time for training, clearing
out tough areas, etc. I think DM is even more
difficult because of its length and more narrow
areas with monsters. Eg: The worm level.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Worm level is probably the hardest level with regards to the speed run, with the scorpion level there or there abouts. The first rock pile: its position can save or add many many seconds. I got lucky with its first move where it took a step back allowing me to pass straight to the axe door.

Similarly with worms. The first few sets can be dodged, but the last four after the slain mummy take a combination of luck, daring and skill. A bad run here and you can lose several minutes.

Fairly plain sailing until you get to the scorpions, but many more instances where favourable monster positions can save you time. No more so than on the knight level.

Looking back through my record run, despite the luck, it was messy and over cautious in places.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

tried speedrunning a while back(stamm):
the worm level is a real obstacle, no doubt! died there shortly before the screamer room..aaah.
It would be interesting to see the death situations of some speedruns... so close and then uuaargh!!
You need strong nerves for speedruns!!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I find about 4 pints of lager beforehand helps ;-)
sucinum
Pal Master

Re: Replay and reinvigorated

Post by sucinum »

PaulH wrote:What was even more suprising is that I forgot how to play my own bloody dungeons! I have to laugh at cursing some 'ridiculous' design only to realise I designed it!
Reminds me that my annual Imprisoned Again run is still due. Nothing better than falling for your own traps - twice the joy when you finally beat them.
Last year this ended up in a half-hearted try of a revised edition, but i think i stopped already after erasing the whole "matrix" level. Hard to even come close to the DDD.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Nice to see you two back and poking around with your old dungeons again...and, you know, falling foul of your own traps too :D
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

PaulH wrote:Using CSBWin and the timing feature I completed original DM is 31mins 45 secs, but am confident of better ;-)
Saying things like that is dangerous, I've been wondering about attempting this record again for ages. I can never get anywhere near your time up to the end of the worms level, after that it's all possible.

Anyway, welcome back! You should totally play some Conflux III and do some competing in that dungeon.

Lunever, Rain''s record was made with splicing so it wasn't a true record...not that really matters of course :D