Dungeon Master on Android market

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Dungeon Master on Android market

Post by oh_brother »

I had not heard about this, but it looks like someone has released DM on Android. I cannot understand too much, since the information is in (I presume) Japanese. It looks reasonably faithful to the original, and the reviews are not bad.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.dunmas.f
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Dungeon Master on Android market

Post by beowuuf »

Hmm, some of the art looks liek it comes fro mthe DM Java game (and so maybe cows?) Is it possibly a Dm JAva conversion for andriod?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i've just tried it.
it's a DMJ port, with different positions for interface items. On my old device with 3.2' screen, game is not too slow but bitmaps seem to be resized down. i guess it's playable on tablet but quite difficult on mobile.
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

I downloaded it last night and had a poke around.

It seems like a good representation of DM, and it is playable. Speed is fine.

The only problem is the size. Buttons can be slightly fiddly, even on a 3.5' screen, but I am sure you could get used to it. More importantly though the text is too compressed and is unreadable for the most part, even if you had 20/20 vision. So I had to guess the stats of the characters, and luckily because I know the dungeons well I don't need to read the scrolls.

Which means that someone coming new to the game would not have a clue what is happening, especially since there is no manual, or even a link to DMweb. Imagine trying to figure out what the runes do without being able to read text. The surprising thing is that there has been between 1-5 thousand downloads and the average review is still high...are there really that many DM fans who now have Android phones and would now download it?