Strength Bonus (damage)

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
JemyM
Neophyte

Strength Bonus (damage)

Post by JemyM »

First post on the forum, yay. I mention CSB in this post but I believe this is generic for Dungeon Master really; is there any info about if there actually is a strength bonus to damage and in that case what it is? I tested to use potions to double my strength and dexterity (near 200 in each) while hacking on the dragon in CSB but I couldn't see much difference to the damage dealt at all.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: Strength Bonus (damage)

Post by Sophia »

The actual formula is rather complicated, but both strength and the mass of the weapon being used to attack figure into the damage calculation. However, there are large random factors as well, so you probably won't notice anything just by taking a few swings and trying to compare them.
JemyM
Neophyte

Post by JemyM »

Are there any technical data somewhere on this formula? I presume it takes attack and monster in consideration as well.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Yes.

Here's a chart Paul made a while ago of the damage computation:
http://www.dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/doc ... Damage.png

Here is some other information with links to other charts:
http://www.dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/doc ... tions.html
JemyM
Neophyte

Post by JemyM »

Yup, that is advanced. It seems that it's the Throwing Distance value that includes strength. I have to do some calculations on this one.
Merudo
Novice

Post by Merudo »

I can't see any mention of strength or dexterity in the chart.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Merudo wrote:I can't see any mention of strength or dexterity in the chart.
As posted above, strength is used by DetermineThrowingDistance, which has its own chart here.

Quickness is dexterity plus a random value, reduced if you're carrying a heavy load.
Merudo
Novice

Post by Merudo »

Oh! I first thought DetermineThrowingDistance() returned a constant when the weapon wasn't thrown (melee attack). Sorry about that!

Having studied DetermineThrowingDistance(), an increase of 1 point of strength will roughly increase the DetermineThrowingDistance() by 1/2 of a point. This is a simplification - for example there is penalty for using a weapon weighting more than 1/16 of the total load of a character, so getting more strength will increase the load of character & thus might reduce this penalty. DetermineThrowingDistance() also caps at 100, so that strength over ~170-200 (depending on weapon skill) won't do much.

The number from DetermineThrowingDistance() then get processed and randomized quite a bit. Unfortunately it depends largely on "power of attack type" ("P8" in the chart), which I haven't figured out yet. I suppose this depends on the attack move (swing, stab, etc) chosen?