What are the runes above the entrance?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
amaprotu
Adept

What are the runes above the entrance?

Post by amaprotu »

I can't seem to find mention of them in the manual, and my attempts at finding an answer on the internet in general have failed.
- Amaprotu
Clodius_one
Adept

Re: What are the runes above the entrance?

Post by Clodius_one »

I am happy that you asked the question. I wondered myself. At the bigining I tough " ENTER YOUR OWN RISKS "
Later it came to me that they are the magic runes who saddles doors closed by the inside.
Even if I had given you the smallest bite, my poison will overcome you
Spoiler
Try me!
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

You're not the first person to ask that, nor will you likely be the last. I think all DM players have asked that question at some point. The best answer I've heard or read anywhere was, I believe, in a thread somewhere on this forum. I don't remember who said it but someone said they're supposed to be some sort of special "High Lord" runes not available to mortal wizards and priests. I'm guessing that if those runes were to be added to the game they'd go after the alignment runes (ie: ros, ra, sar, etc).
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

why it's celtic for Dungeon Master :shock:
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Here's a pic of Roman lettering, Celtic Runes and Anglo-Saxon Runes:
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

nice SU, can't find it in there but it is close to appearance.

it could be the scribbling design of Chaos's bandana, looks like one to me.

who did the art work, do the search on it and see what we can find, i bet you guys have already done that.
keep your gor coin handy
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

The runes say "Grynix ernum quey ki skebow rednim u os dey wefna enocarn aquantana."
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

"Angelo Saxon" - I think I went to school with him.

As far as I know, the runes mean nothing. It's just a bit of artistic detail with no meaning in relation to the DM world.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

That's a definite possibility. They do show a resemblance in style to the Celtic runes, as do the spell runes. Perhaps the Celtic runes served as models and inspiration for the style used. Although other styles may have also been incorporated into them as well, possibly some Egyptian symbols too?
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

"Fire Exit. Please Do Not Block"
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

i think we're on to something here, maybe it is a cross of a few runes from different tribal languages.

KEEP OUT
keep your gor coin handy
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I guess it would rather be "Firestaff Exit. Please Do Not Block" :)
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

ChristopheF wrote:I guess it would rather be "Firestaff Exit. Please Do Not Block" :)
:lol: the part that's not shown on screen is the warning that if you do block that door you'll get fried. :P
Chaos-Shaman wrote:i think we're on to something here, maybe it is a cross of a few runes from different tribal languages.
That's about what it looks like to me, maybe some original art mixed with and/or inspired by a number of ancient languages.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

they might have just added a few lines to a language. it probably was for looks only. heh, i changed it to Lynchgate for you a while back, how about we use the celtic lettering to spell Lynchgate, or Mt Anaias... or we can chicken scratch something and have people guessing for another 25 years :)
keep your gor coin handy
amaprotu
Adept

Post by amaprotu »

I think it interesting that while the font / art changed from the demo to the final product, the runes themselves did not.

I had only recently seen the demo screen, and that is what started me thinking on it. The consistency makes me think they were meant to have some meaning at some point, even if that meaning was lost or the idea changed. I'd imagine it as most likely the name of the dungeon in some way, although a warning is a good possibility as well.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the thoughts. Despite the lack of lore around it, they are a unique part of DM.
- Amaprotu
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

@CS On Lynchgate entrance, we could just wrote a hint to cast a specific spell to open it.
Spoiler
Try me!
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Chaos-Shaman wrote:they might have just added a few lines to a language. it probably was for looks only. heh, i changed it to Lynchgate for you a while back, how about we use the celtic lettering to spell Lynchgate, or Mt Anaias... or we can chicken scratch something and have people guessing for another 25 years :)
Hmm, I like the chicken scratch something and sparking more questions and debates over what they mean. :twisted: :P
amaprotu wrote:I think it interesting that while the font / art changed from the demo to the final product, the runes themselves did not.

I had only recently seen the demo screen, and that is what started me thinking on it. The consistency makes me think they were meant to have some meaning at some point, even if that meaning was lost or the idea changed. I'd imagine it as most likely the name of the dungeon in some way, although a warning is a good possibility as well.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the thoughts. Despite the lack of lore around it, they are a unique part of DM.
Yeah, but only the developers know the answer to that.

I find it interesting that there's exactly 6 runes, and each set of spell runes numbers exactly 6 too. That may be what sparked the speculation that those are supposed to be some sort of special High Lord runes that normal mortals can't use. That would also explain how eg. Lord Chaos is able to do some crazy spells that our party can't, he's using spell runes from a 5th set that our party can't use.
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

I find it interesting that there's exactly 6 runes, and each set of spell runes numbers exactly 6 too. That may be what sparked the speculation that those are supposed to be some sort of special High Lord runes that normal mortals can't use. That would also explain how eg. Lord Chaos is able to do some crazy spells that our party can't, he's using spell runes from a 5th set that our party can't use.
@ SU: Can we say that the unused rune 'Gor' could be use by Lord Chaos. If it's true, you could have problem to add more spells in Lynchgate.
Spoiler
Try me!
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

I doubt it would be a problem to add some more spells for Lynchgate, it's just a matter of figuring out what kinds of things gor could do, when mixed with the other runes.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

SU, i think using gor for treasure or money is a good idea. now what we could do is take the spell runes in DM and replace some of them with the front entrance markings. we could also use a scroll with new markings that can't be found in the spell book, i think that is a great idea.

Clodius, in EoC i created a spell that opens doors other than the ZO spell. it was for doors with no button.
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

I won't discuss spell options for Lynchgate here as that's not what this thread's about, plus I don't want to create any spoilers but yeah, adding some spells that actually use Gor would be a good idea.

Asside from that I think I'll just leave the runes alone, I've got enough new stuff going into the dungeon as it is to add creating a whole new rune and spell set to the list. That's an idea I'd rather reserve for a different project. I do have a project that would be a VERY different take on the DM engine then the usual in mind too, where something like a rune replacement would be beneficial.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

spell options are plenty, we'll get to that later.
keep your gor coin handy
Erik Bauer
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

"Speak Friend, and enter"
Don't let a closed door stop you
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

:lol: love the LoTR reference but this isn't the mines of Moria here. :P

Interestingly enough, I just watched the trilogy last week. I love the LoTR trilogy and The Hobbit. I haven't seen any of the The Hobbit movies yet but I have read the books (both The Hobbit and the LoTR trilogy). IMO the LoTR books were better then the movies, but not by much, the producer did an excellent job of keeping the feel of the original storyline.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

after investigation, I surmised this was an extension of Lord Chaos' warning to others: I mean, beyond this door [which opens, but then lock behind you] are 24 trophies...

and on that idea... have written up some ideas on this. because, well you just do don't you :)
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Thanks for the thread, it gave me an idea:

It seems to be missing two runes:
These hint at the backstory of the 24 people trapped in the mirrors... two of which were never meant to be here...

Anyway, great to be doing creative things on the train to work again :)
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Looking at the meaning of the dungeon and the door's symmetry, I'd suggest the following.
The dungeon is the home of the Gray Lord. The Gray Lord if half Lord Chaos and half Lord Librasulus.
Looking at the door, it has two identical, symmetric parts, and above each of them are three runes. So I'd suppose one set of runes means "order" and the other one "chaos". Both spoken together the mean "balance".
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

:) without its opposite there will be nothing, lovely Leslie.
keep your gor coin handy
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

It means: Here is the secret entrance.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

It says, Enter At Your Own Risk. Great risk for great reward.
keep your gor coin handy