Help Wanted

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Re: Help Wanted

Post by Paul Stevens »

If you have a game that was shipped with version 10.00 then I would use that
version for that game. But I see no other reason to keep version 10.00 around.
If you find you need it for some game, you can always download it again. The
versions should be very 'backward-compatible'.
Wizard Zedd
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

I have been playing a bit of CSB and I have been killed I don't know how many times and keep ending up in different places...I get what you all were saying about being confusing. Thank goodness for war cry - it at least gives me a bit of a fighting chance.

Question - I had 2 of my guys die and I was near an altar so I resurrected them. Do they lose anything when I do that? Am I better off replaying from a saved game?
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

only the hassle of picking up their stuff. there is no permanent damage from dying.
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

there is no permanent damage from dying.
I have no evidence to present but I think there is some damage.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Are you playing in RTC?
If so, then yes... your resurrected characters do lose a little on vitals like health and stamina. I prefer to reload a saved game if it's not too far back.
I'm not sure whether how much you lose is dependent on a particular factor, or whether it is completely random (but within certain limits obviously).
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I remember reading that in RTC a character's max health goes down a bit every time they get rezzed...but I always just suicide and reload anyway if someone dies :D.
Incidentally, as this has moved on from DM to CSB, maybe we should start a new thread in that section of the forum rather than continuing in this one? I'll leave that to you, Zedd, as it's your playthrough :).
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Saumun wrote:Are you playing in RTC?
... yes... your resurrected characters do lose a little on vitals like health and stamina.
Well, you live and learn. Thanks! :D
Q: I am not sure how suitable this penalty is for a game where you can save and restore at any point: if it transpires that most people just quit and reload, why keep the mechanic in?
When things go wrong, I frequently commit suicide and reload from the last savepoint, what about you?
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I generally suicide also, but cannot speak for everyone... Maybe some people do resurrect.

I'm not sure whether to ask this here, as it on-topic for the last few posts... but off-topic as regards the original thread.
I have been trying to find a way to disable/get around this annoying problem in my new dungeon, but with no luck so far.
I'm trying to find a way to resurrect characters without losing stats in RTC. I'm starting to think it cannot be done.
if anyone can prove otherwise and knows how to do it, please let me know.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

May be more off topic. Why do you want that ?
The way FTL designed this resurect looks right to me and you can avoid the penalty, comiting suicide, anyway.
What would be a thrill is a game with no save. It is too easy to save before a potential failure in a battle or a trap. With no save, things are pretty much as in real life giving a better "virtual reality".
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

a thrill is a game with no save
Perhaps you could mark your file system as 'Read-Only' for
that additional thrill.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Sounds great, am currently looking at alternatives to savegame for other projects: so yes, sorry this debate is 'off-topic', sorry for leading the conversation this way.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

It is for a certain part of the dungeon and is due to a specific layout in the case of my previous post, but i also think the amount of health lost is at times unfair.
While messing with the resurrect action, characters have lost up to 40 health during a resurrection. If this is a low level character, i think that is a little excessive.

Being able to control the amount lost would be just as good, but i'm not sure it can be done.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Bear in mind it used to take seveal minutes to save/load your game originally, with the swapping of disks and everything (remove game disk insert save disk, wait for game to save/load, remove save disk, insert game disk). These days it's instant because the computers have a teeny bit more memory and processing speed and stuff, plus it's not even using any disks so death isn't quite the inconvenience it used to me ;).
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Indeed a large delay when saving wiould be a worthwhile penalty to avoid quick restarts becoming part of the gameplay.

I think this asks for a change in the RTC engine ( RTC.exe ), that we cannot do.
May be I am wrong, someone might find a workaround.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Wizard Zedd
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Thank you all for the responses. I will go back to a saved game and just make sure I save more often :)

I will start another thread when I have more questions playing CSB.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

That is pretty much what it boils down to.

Weighing up a stat loss against the time it will take you to get back to where you are.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

terkio wrote:... I think this asks for a change in the RTC engine ( RTC.exe ), that we cannot do.
May be I am wrong, someone might find a workaround.
Having caused this deviation, would like to take this thread over here:
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 53&t=29985
Maybe DSB has an answer, maybe not, but the conversation needs to move from here.