Introducing a friend to the game (hi, everybody!)

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Selie
Expert

Introducing a friend to the game (hi, everybody!)

Post by Selie »

Well, I'm back because I was talking to a game dev friend of mine about Dungeon Master and how ahead of its time it was and how solid its design is and, oh, you know, the usual fanatical fangirl conversation. I have apparently convinced him that he needs to play it, so tomorrow he's coming over to bake pies (because Saturday is Pi Day!) and play Dungeon Master while I do homework.

I find it absolutely delightful that almost 30 years into the game, I'm able to introduce someone to it for the first time, and I suspect he will be able to appreciate why it's still one of the best games ever made.

I'm thinking I should start him on RTC? I seem to recall there was an online-playable Java version or something, but I can't find that, and I am pretty sure RTC can deliver the authentic experience without having to worry about an emulator. Is that correct? ♥ I'm sorry I haven't kept up with things like I should have, but I do still think fondly about you all from time to time and I figured this was as good an opportunity as ever to say hello!
I haunt this forum briefly every four years or so, then disappear until adventure calls again...

Seriously, if you want to keep up with me, these days I'm pretty active as Lauren the Flute (video game music!) online. I ♥ you all!
terkio
Mon Master

Re: Introducing a friend to the game (hi, everybody!)

Post by terkio »

For best accuracy as the original, I personaly use:
DM for PC run with DosBox. An easy perfect emulator.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I would suggest CSBWin as that's a direct port of the Atari version - RTC was made from scratch and for me the main problem was that spell damage is very different to what it was in the original, so you get one-shotted by Beholders and meanwhile are unable to one-shot Wasps/Munchers :(. Alternatively I would imagine you could download the Atari emulator, STEEM, and grab a download of the game for that - on the site I use for Atari games, Atarimania, DM and CSB are usually in the top five games listed on the homepage so it's easy enough to find ;).
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I had a go with CSBwin. I like it.
Here it is at http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/851
To get Dungeon Master: Download: Clone-CSBwin-Windows-DungeonMaster-12_100.zip
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman