Why i can't gain ninja lv buy punching air?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
1ya1ya
Neophyte

Post by 1ya1ya »

I am playing original version dm in rtc 0.49.
Saumun
High Lord

Re: Why i can't gain ninja lv buy punching air?

Post by Saumun »

I've never tried it in RTC, but i assume it is simply down to fundamental differences in play between RTC and the original (RTC not being based on the original code).
I say this because i'm almost sure i remember resting an object on the left mouse button with the arrow on 'punch' (on the original Atari ST version) and leaving the room... and returning to find i had gained ninja levels.

I'm willing to be shot down here though, as my ST broke beyond repair around 1991 and i have never used one since... So it has been a long time.

How long have you punched the air before giving up? What level ninja is your character? With no XP multiplier in RTC, it could take a long time to gain higher levels this way.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
1ya1ya
Neophyte

Post by 1ya1ya »

I think i punched for 5 minutes,nothing happen...and ninja lv was still level 0.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Must be RTC's engine then. CSBwin's code is lifted directly from the original as far as i know (DSB too i think), so if you want this to work i'd suggest running it under one of these platforms.

Again... I haven't actually tried it, so don't take this as gospel.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I don't know how RTC handles that kind of thing differently to the other versions, but as far as I'm aware you should get exp for hitting nothing, however you get more if there's a monster in the way, and exp also increases the further down the dungeon you get. If you're in the HoC you'll be getting much less exp than standing face-to-face with a Scorpion down on Level Ten, for example ;).
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

you get more if there's a monster in the way
Are you sure? Sophia probably can answer this better than I.
But as I recall, the extra experience is granted if you have
recently been attacked by a monster, not if a monster is
within range of your attack. The 'Dungeon Master Two-Step'
is a bit inefficient because of this, I believe.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Paul Stevens wrote:the extra experience is granted if you have recently been attacked by a monster, not if a monster is within range of your attack.
That's how it works in CSBwin and default DSB, yes.
The PC version of DM did away with this bonus and instead gave you the "recently been attacked" amount of XP all the time; DSB can optionally behave this way as well.
No clue how RTC works internally. :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ah okay, I knew it was something to do with there being a monster nearby but couldn't remember specifically :).
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Sophia wrote:The PC version of DM did away with this bonus and instead gave you the "recently been attacked" amount of XP all the time;
CSBWin was translated from Chaos Strikes Back, the sequel to Dungeon Master.
Therefore, it seems to me likely that Chaos Strikes Back "added" the requirement
rather than that PC DM "did away" with the requirement that a creature
recently attacked in order to receive the larger XP. Proof would require a
translation of the original Atari Dungeon Master code, a task I will not
volunteer to undertake.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Proof would require a translation of the original Atari Dungeon Master code, a task I will not volunteer to undertake
This is a task that I already undertook (see ReDMCSB here http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 25&t=29805).
The experience bonus occurs when a creature attacked you recently, not when it is simply close to you. And there is no difference regarding this bonus between DM and CSB. (see for yourself in file CHAMPION.C, in function named F304_apzz_CHAMPION_AddSkillExperience).
The PC version of DM did away with this bonus
I disagree, I can confirm that the same bonus applies under the same conditions in both DM PC 3.4 and also in CSB 3.1 PC98.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Do you get the feeling that, collectively, we know more about
'Dungeon Master' and 'Chaos Strikes Back' than any of the original
developers ever knew? Good Grief! I looked back at the work
Christophe did and I am, once again, overwhelmed.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Paul Stevens wrote:CSBWin was translated from Chaos Strikes Back, the sequel to Dungeon Master. Therefore, it seems to me likely that Chaos Strikes Back "added" the requirement rather than that PC DM "did away" with the requirement
The PC version of DM came out after CSB was already released, and used version 3.x of the game engine, whereas CSB started off with an earlier version. Or at least version 2.x of the game engine is the version CSBwin is based on. So I was looking at the PC version of DM as a later thing from that perspective, although of course I don't know if any differences are due to v2.x vs. v3.x, or being on the PC vs. being on the Atari, or being DM vs. CSB, or... whatever.
ChristopheF wrote:I can confirm that the same bonus applies under the same conditions in both DM PC 3.4 and also in CSB 3.1 PC98.
I remember delving into this to solve some lingering mysteries with DSB, and at the time it seemed like the PC version behaved differently. I don't really feel like diving into all this again though so I'll defer to your expertise if you're quite sure.