Game runs but I am getting no sound

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gavindale Marchovia
Novice

Game runs but I am getting no sound

Post by Gavindale Marchovia »

I got the game to successfully load, and the game runs fine except I am getting no sound. In other programs on my computer - music,sound effects etc - I can hear everything just fine. Can anyone help me?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: Game runs but I am getting no sound

Post by Sophia »

Running it in DOSBox and setting my sound to "Sound Blaster" works for me. What did you try? What OS are you running?
(And if you've got an old-ish Windows so it sorta works without DOSBox... don't. Use DOSBox.)
Gavindale Marchovia
Novice

Post by Gavindale Marchovia »

First, thanks for the advice! I am very appreciative. How do I the game in DosBox? Double-click the shortcut? btw, I am running on Windows XP (I know, not the smartest route)!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Once you've downloaded and installed DOSBox, run the program. You should get a command prompt, which works like a normal DOS window or Windows command prompt.

The big difference is that it's an emulator, so, you'll want to mount wherever you installed DM as a drive within your DOSBox, with the mount command. If you installed it in C:\games\dm for example type:

Code: Select all

mount D C:\games\dm
After you switch to D: you should be able to run DM from the command line like normal.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I use a much easier and intuitive way to run games in DosBox - just drag the EXE file of the game over the DosBox icon and "drop" it:

1. Have a DosBox icon on your desktop.

2. Open the DM folder in e.g. Total Commander (in a small window, so that you see the DosBox icon somewhere around).

3. Drag the DM.EXE file from the Commander to the desktop and "drop" it over the DosBox. And here you go!

You can also change the properties of DosBox to run the game in full screen (there's a BAT file with Options settings in the DosBox root folder).
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Will the Virtual PC do the same thing?

I understand you can do this with a Windows product, if you choose the proper bit program (32 or 64).

I also understand SUN offers something similar that allows both 32 and 64 bit to be used with the same program.

Or does the DosBox work better in the long run?
"Wuuf's big brother"
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

MasterWuuf wrote:Or does the DosBox work better in the long run?
Dunno if better, but DosBox works and that's all I need to know. :wink: I never need to know more than I need to know, you know? :roll:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Jan wrote:
MasterWuuf wrote:Or does the DosBox work better in the long run?
Dunno if better, but DosBox works and that's all I need to know. :wink: I never need to know more than I need to know, you know? :roll:
And that would seem to be quite a bit. Doubtful input, but it did make me smile. That's worth a lot, especially as tired as I am right now.
"Wuuf's big brother"