Dungeon Master with one "extreme" Champion

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Saumun
High Lord

Re: Dungeon Master with one "extreme" Champion

Post by Saumun »

I looked in the dungeon lua file. Easily fixable, but i'm not sure i can be bothered to play through the whole thing again with the stats at 1.
Pretty much already proved to myself i could do it by getting that far.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

For what it's worth, you can often "hotfix" DSB dungeons by directly editing the fix into startup.lua or the like, loading, saving, and then removing the fix and restarting.
There's actually already a fix, here.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Thanks Sophia.... Used that! Now finished.

So... DM (in DSB) with health, mana, and all skill stats reduced to 1, except stamina (25).
Not as hard as you'd think. Level 1 was a nightmare... Killed by bumping into a wall, killed by a single screamer attack, wandering around in the dark, and nearly starving to death. It became much easier after getting the first priest level. The only other problem was fighting knights. Could hardly lay a blow on them. Didn't bother with the Golems.

Final stats: Note the very low stamina... Also forgot to take off Flamebain, so anti-fire should be 16.

Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Good, goooood! Health and mana are curiously rounded numbers. Now, do the same in CSB. :twisted:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Haha... I admit i save-scummed that last wizard level. Health was 580, and i was determined to get it over 600. Kept going to 595-599... Luckily DSB loads really quickly. Very anal!
Not sure i've got the bottle to do it in CSB. DM has the advantage of very weak and well spread-out monsters at the start. Probably wouldn't get out of the worm room with 1 health.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

"Probably wouldn't get out of the worm room with 1 health."

Is that a challenge, lol
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Maybe a challenge too far for me.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

It would be a challenge, no bumping into walls, not hits and movement must be precise, warcry would probably be the right choice ;)
keep your gor coin handy
JETENGINE
Journeyman

Post by JETENGINE »

Just a quick question:
Would the Armored Worms even care that you are hollering your lungs out? Or would they just go "Stop running around and just let me eat your loud, tasty flesh now!"?
Just a thought.

Jay
Hanging by a thread.
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

I think you replied in the wrong thread.
That said, if you mean the Magenta Worms found on level 4, I recall that they don't seem to care about War Cry, but the Horn of Fear is effective on them if you blow it 2-3 times. I believe Brandishing Nabi's staff also works, but the Horn of Fear you get at the very end of the level is the only fear weapon available at that point in the game if you don't have Nabi.
I could be remembering wrong about the staff, I rarely use Nabi. I might be remembering when I tried the Staff of Claws on the worms instead when I returned to the Screamer Grocery Store for a snack before proceeding to level 6.
JETENGINE
Journeyman

Post by JETENGINE »

I am truly sorry about replying in the wrong thread, but I noticed someone mention CSB. Then I glimpsed a quote saying, "Probably wouldn't get out of the worm room with one health."
Again I apologize for sending my message to the wrong address, but at least I can explain myself, even if I do get a verdict of GUILTY.

Hoping I don't get banned for a screwup like this,
Jay.
Hanging by a thread.
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

Oh, I actually have less experience with CSB even though I've had it since they released that Windows port back in '99.
To be honest, the worms you get dropped in front of looked like magenta worms from DM so I have never even tried War Cry. I just grab the torch and start slinging fireballs at them.
Again, that is because I HAVE tried War Cry in the Apple IIGS version of DM and found it did not seem to do anything to them in the Apple IIGS version back in 1989-90 and gave up as it being ineffective like using a poison cloud on a skeleton or a poison bolt on a mummy.