Would you pay for Dungeon master again?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Beardedmike
Apprentice

Would you pay for Dungeon master again?

Post by Beardedmike »

Just a thought, if Dungeon Master was available on sites like steam or GOG would you pay for it again?

If you want to vote on it here is the link
http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/dungeon_master
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Would you pay for Dungeon master again?

Post by Gambit37 »

PC version? No. The only version I truly like is the Amiga version, since that was my first. Plus I have a cupboard full of old boxed versions already, and I'm no longer interested in playing DM again, there's way better ways to spend my time these days. (Sorry if that offends any of you, but there it is.)

However, I might be persuaded if I were sure that ex-FTL members would get some of the money: I might buy it just to re-show my appreciation! :D
zoinkers
Novice

Post by zoinkers »

It depends on who gets the money. If it were original FTL developers who were core to the project, then yes. If it were some third party who never had much to do with the original game, then no. I have no interest in funding a Dungeon Master-like game through Dungeon Master sales. If the original team made a new game based on the Dungeon Master or Chaos Strikes Back code, and only added new graphics that fit in style-wise, then likely yes, dependent on a demo showing level of quality.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Money Marsha Money, lol

Yes Mike, I'd pay for it and send FTL the same.
keep your gor coin handy
deltaprime
Neophyte

Post by deltaprime »

If the money goes to FTL's original developers, i'll glad to pay that game (and maybe they'll think to make a new game.)... But otherwise... :/
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I firstly played a pirate version, then I found it so good, so I bought it. Chaos Strike Back, I bought right away, so did I with Dungeon Master II but I regret having done so.
The pirate version was the one where the party gets killed, sudddly, half way in level 1. DM was a pretty well protected game, with a stack of tricks that took time for a fully cracked game. 3"5 single face floppy disk 360 kbytes extended to a bit more if my remembering is right.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I would not pay for an obsolete game. Obsoleted with DM2 :( .
About the vintage touch, I am more than happy with custom games which are free and well supported 8) .
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Being an addict, I WOULD CERTAINLY PAY FOR IT AGAIN, money means very little when it comes to the passion for the game. Do I think people who have never played it would pay for it today, NO. I bought DM, CSB, and DMII two days after it came out but being a part of a pirate board I had it right away, beat the game one day after I bought it. DM2 was too easy. 3 days and it was done. Certainly would buy a couple of the DM clones made with RTC in show of support for the passion and efforts by the few who remember it like I do.

Side note...
Not so funny, I nearly lost my family due to a train falling off of a bridge, they escaped by a couple of seconds, unfortunately the other side of the road two people did get squashed. This all occurred on my birthday. You don't have to be on track to be hit by a train :( A train falling on people is not something one would expect in life.

Money Marcia Money
keep your gor coin handy
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I've never purchased DM. In these days, as others here, I would certainly pay to the original creators of DM for the original DM, for all the fun and enjoyment we've had with it, they would certainly deserve it.

@Chaos: Yuck, that was a close thing! Lucky you! A similar thing happened to my brother - my only sibling - about ten years ago. He used to play with a local amateur rock band and one day the guys decided to spend a weekend at some lodge. Luckily, my brother couldn't com because he got sick a bit (nothing serious). The guys went without him. They probably got drunk and messed with the chimney / stove or whatever, went to sleep, and the smoke got in the room. I think there were four or five of them, one escaped but has had problems with his lungs ever since, one jumped off the window on the upper floor, survived but got many bones broken and has never been able to walk properly since then, and the other two or three guys just suffocated there in the room. I still have tears in my eyes, thanking God that my brother got sick and couldn't come...
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Life is unforgiving :( every day is by chance staying alive

I have been saved and have saved life.
keep your gor coin handy
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

More or less like Gambit says: also one problem with old games sold on GOG platforms is that they are always based on the PC version (because embedded with DOSBox) which were generally not the best versions of the game when it comes to Atari/Amiga games ...

Talking about "Dungeon master again", I was doing a conversion for having the original dungeon using DM2 engine :
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 27&t=28848
But I lost focus on it :(
RPGmc72
Novice

Post by RPGmc72 »

I would not do Amiga versions or such why these much worse graphics same content/
Erik Bauer
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

Gambit37 wrote:PC version? No. The only version I truly like is the Amiga version, since that was my first. Plus I have a cupboard full of old boxed versions already, and I'm no longer interested in playing DM again, there's way better ways to spend my time these days. (Sorry if that offends any of you, but there it is.)

However, I might be persuaded if I were sure that ex-FTL members would get some of the money: I might buy it just to re-show my appreciation! :D
Same here, FTL original team deserves it.
Don't let a closed door stop you
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

It could be resurrected by a savvy team with a crowd-funded, orginal-team endorsed blessing: but I'd prefer to pay for something more blasphemous - something for the Facebook generation, I would love to remake Dungeon Master as a top-down quest-thing. Lots of user-content etc. That I'd pay for. Just to officially see all the Andy Jaros monsters walking around against the grey blocky world, but y'know in bitesize chunks in a mobile-platform world.

So I'd pay for another portion, but not of the original game. [me, banned you say? ;)]
That or make an Atari ST handheld - with the original DM on it. Hell yeah.
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
zoinkers
Novice

Post by zoinkers »

The problem for me, is the temptation to "fix things". At some level, these older games can benefit from some work to relieve the frustrations that came as part and parcel. Like bugs, and interface issues. Or even horribly wrong game design decisions. But there's a possibility for each change to lose some of the magic. Maybe one man's trash is another man's treasure. Maybe some of the good parts only seemed good, because of the frustrations we were willing to sit through back in the day. And those frustrations have to be removed, to make the game playable in the modern day.

If these things were fixed in a way that do not make the game unplayable, or make it worse, then I'd be willing to rebuy it. But it'd have to have extra content at the level of quality the original game provided. And if that was decent, then I'd likely be willing to play and buy further expansions of the same quality.

Like, further Chaos Strikes Back to Dungeon Master. Or expansion disks for bloodwyche. Or adventures of a commercial level for the better SSI gold box games.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, we already no longer have to worry about swapping disks and waiting for a couple of minutes every time we want to load/save the game... ;)
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

Sphenx wrote:Talking about "Dungeon master again", I was doing a conversion for having the original dungeon using DM2 engine :
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 27&t=28848
But I lost focus on it :(
x_x i loved the amiga DM2 so much. i would be all over this if you ever managed to finish it. would you ever consider finishing it if paid to? or perhaps even ask someone else here to help you?

back on topic: i would definitely pay for the DM series, under two conditions:
- it is the amiga variant ported into the pc (i really dont like the actual pc variants).
- the original FTL team got at something for it (well, this would be more of a preferred condition, but not required).
Immortal Dungeoneer.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Sera wrote:x_x i loved the amiga DM2 so much. i would be all over this if you ever managed to finish it. would you ever consider finishing it if paid to? or perhaps even ask someone else here to help you?
It is a hobby, custom project using original assets (data + code); I certainly don't want to be paid for that, even more that it would not make progress any faster (at least for me). However, help is always welcome :)