Ven Bomb scroll

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Vytel
Neophyte

Ven Bomb scroll

Post by Vytel »

Hello everybody and happy new year!
Maybe this matter has been discussed already but I couldn't find any related post.
During my last run I realized that there's no scroll revealing the zo ven spell (ven bomb).
I also looked at the hint book where all the scrolls are listed, it doesn't exist (though the spell is listed in the spells section).
Can we consider it some kind of 'super secret spell' ? Are there any others I didn't notice?
Bye bye

Valerio
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Ven Bomb scroll

Post by Gambit37 »

Hmmm, I don't remember that! I thought all original spells in DM had a scroll, but you're indeed correct, there's no scroll for Zo Ven according to the DME:

http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/195

I guess we all discovered it through trial-and-error casting of the runes...?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

It's listed in my hint book, as "Poison Potion" (I just checked in the scans in the Encyclopaedia). But it's not a spell I've ever bothered casting so it's not like it's come up before ;).

Post by Vytel »

Ameena wrote:It's listed in my hint book, as "Poison Potion" (I just checked in the scans in the Encyclopaedia). But it's not a spell I've ever bothered casting so it's not like it's come up before ;).
It surely is one of the most useless spells... but it's curious that it's the only one that you had to figure out by yourself.
Wouldn't have been much better if they put the FUL bomb (FUL ZO?) in place of that? :wink:
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

When I interviewed Doug Bell years ago, he said about Ful Bombs:
We originally included the spell, but then realized that since the spell destroys the flask that someone could inadvertently use up all their flasks. We worked hard to protect players from creating unwinnable games.
Since the same could be said about Ven Bombs, it seems weird that they would remove the spell for Ful Bombs, but leave Ven Bombs in there...
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Maybe they removed the scroll but forgot to change the code to remove the spell altogether?
Vytel wrote:Are there any others I didn't notice?
I'm sure that I (and most people here) did a pretty exhaustive search through possible rune combinations, and there are no other secret spells (then again, I didn't realise zo ven was 'secret' until now).
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

The zo ven spell was unimplemented in DSB for years, and nobody noticed. :mrgreen:
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Sophia wrote:The zo ven spell was unimplemented in DSB for years, and nobody noticed. :mrgreen:
I'm not surprised. Pointless waste of a flask when you have poison spells anyway.
I was never sure if it was a deliberate secret spell, or inadvertently left in.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
kaypy
Artisan

Post by kaypy »

Now if there was a spell to empty out a Ven Bomb, on the other hand...

"No seriously, you need to drink this Ven Zo flask. Its for the greater good"
Sophia wrote:The zo ven spell was unimplemented in DSB for years, and nobody noticed. :mrgreen:
I did spot it while doing some spell tweaking last version, but my only reaction was to nil it out entirely rather than having an error message...
Friends don't let friends eat worm round