What if the DM characters were cartoon characters?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
boyflea
Expert

What if the DM characters were cartoon characters?

Post by boyflea »

Hi, looking for some cartoon-lookalikes to fill out all 24 DM Champions: any recommendations?
Have started this image here, and any suggestions will be added :) [and of course, feel free to guess the cartoon characters chosen]

Something not very serious, but curious to know what you all watched as kids (or still do). :)
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
Saumun
High Lord

Re: What if the DM characters were cartoon characters?

Post by Saumun »

Can't see the full image on my phone so don't know if you've already got one for this.... but Gando would certainly pass for the guy in the dungeons & dragons cartoon from the 80s (appropriately enough).

Also, I know this doesn't count because it's not a cartoon character... but Daroou as Bungle from Rainbow.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@Saumun: Excellent suggestions, I can see those working :)

Samurai Jack could pass for Iaido:
http://samuraijack.wikia.com/wiki/Samur ... character)

Maybe Shaggy for Linflas?

Happy for Stamm?

Maybe Zia from Cities of Gold for Chani:
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Thanks for the feedback! Bungle, Shaggy and Samurai Jack are inspired! :)
imagine.. playing DM with sound samples playing for these characters, :D

- also found a way of posting smaller images :)
(sorry, thought I could edit the one at the top.. but alas no)

- so Alex, Boris, Elija, Gothmog, Halk, Hawk, Leif, Mophus, Nabi, Wu Tse and Wuuf still to fill out - :)
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

LOL, DM comedy, Shaggy as Linflas, just needs Scoobee and some snacks and of course, the 60's hippy van.
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I wonder if Pochahontas could pass for Wu Tse?

And despite being the wrong animal, Wuuf reminds me a little of Basil Brush... apart from the white fur around the mouth. Err, actually that might be stretching it a bit.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Saumun wrote:I wonder if Pochahontas could pass for Wu Tse?
Yeah, that's a possibility. Fun fact: I now live in the town where she died and was buried!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Gambit37 wrote:Fun fact: I now live in the town where she died and was buried!
Wu Tse?!?
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Tell that to Trump
keep your gor coin handy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I know without clicking the link that said town is Gravesend - not really all that far from where I live (Medway) :D.

Anyway, been having a think...wouldn't it be more accurate to have some kind of lizardman for Hissssa rather than ol' Kermy? There was this cartoon series called Conan the Adventurer where the bad guys were lizardmen. Or they looked human but Conan had a magic ring or something which caused them to revert to their real appearance. I suppose Conan himself from that cartoon could stand in for Halk.
Gothmog...maybe a Jawa?
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Brillaint stuff! thanks! Updated. Kudos for not going for Mulan, :)

Yes, Kermit was bugging me too: perhaps he'll be Toadrot in the follow-up ;)
Wuuf: Basil brush? Scooby Doo? maybe if they had female relatives... hmmm... anyone remember Dogtanian perhaps?
PS: @ CS, You go tell that to Trump ;) http://orig04.deviantart.net/7445/f/201 ... a0eh6b.jpg
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ooh yeah, surely there's someone from Dogtanian that looks a bit like Wuuf? I notice we're not solely restricted to cartoon characters, anyway.

I feel like Tiggy's picture is wrong - that looks nothing like her, it's some woman with pink hair that has stars in it. Tiggy is short with a kind of blonde afro. Maybe she and Boris should be represented by halflings/hobbits - there was an animated version of Lord of the Rings, maybe you can find something there? It was by someone called Rankin Bass, if I remember rightly.
There must be any number of white-bearded old mage guys who could stand in for Elija and Nabi. Maybe you could check out Asterix cartoons for a stand-in for Leif, or maybe the How to Train Your Dragon films, since those have Vikings in too (check out Stoick, maybe?) :).
Who's left...Alex. Hmm. Plenty of cloaked thiefy-types out there. Like Garrett from the Thief series. Which is a computer game, not a cartoon, so maybe not.
And I'm not sure about Mophus. Is there anyone freaky enough to stand in for him? :O
Also, not sure about Hawk. He's kind of...a black Robin Hood or something? With that bow and arrows?
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

boyflea wrote:Brillaint stuff! thanks! Updated. Kudos for not going for Mulan, :)
Lol... I'd actually forgot it existed.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Leif could be represented by Ulysses from Ulysses 31. The flowing red hair anyway.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Perfect, cheers Gambit!
I buckled and put Juliette as Wuuf (but all my suggestions can be replaced ;) )

Ok, leaves just Alex, Boris, Elija, Hawk, Mophus and Nabi.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I definitely recall an 80s cartoon that had an older guy in it with white hair and a beard, who could pass for Nabi -- trouble is I don't remember the name!
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Maybe this one? 'Leonardo'
https://youtu.be/1J62PfolM24?t=8m54s

still, it's a nice fit whoever I just found :)

Alex, Boris, Elija, Hawk and Mophus to go... :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ameena wrote:there was an animated version of Lord of the Rings, maybe you can find something there? It was by someone called Rankin Bass, if I remember rightly.
Ah, you're talking about The Hobbit by Rankin/Bass (Arthur Rankin, Jules Bass). I've never seen the whole version, but there's bits on YouTube -- actually looks not terrible! There was also the famous rotoscoped version of LOTR by Ralph Bakshi, which was much better but sadly unfinished.
boyflea wrote:Maybe this one? 'Leonardo'
Nope, not that one. It was a 'modern' cartoon setting, the guy had short cropped white hair and a white beard. It's possible I'm imagining it though!
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Ralph Bakshi made some interesting cartoons that have aged badly - but LOTR was alright. Am thinking Boris would be a Hobbit, :)
As for Nabi... hmmm, well Leonardo can be placeholder for now... happy hunting :)
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

This ended up being the final version: thanks again!

Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe, it's cool how you managed to get so many of them looking so close to their characters. Well, except Tiggy - that one looks nothing like her. But the rest are good :D.
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Ameena wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:30 pm Well, except Tiggy - that one looks nothing like her. But the rest are good :D.
Well, I grant you that Tiggy Tamal is a bit of an odd one: but hear me out - her clothes just reminded me of some sort of female glam-rockstar, so that's my defence, :). Have filled out a few of these myself, but any of my suggestions can be replaced with anyone elses recommendations - so if you can think of another, let me know ;)

'over to you guys...' :D
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

[quote=Saumun post_id=152680 time=1493993736 user_id=2669]
I wonder if Pochahontas could pass for Wu Tse?

And despite being the wrong animal, Wuuf reminds me a little of Basil Brush... apart from the white fur around the mouth. Err, actually that might be stretching it a bit.
[/quote]

Actually, I recall [u]briefly[/u] mistaking Wuuf for Splinter from TMNT when a friend showed me Dungeon Master for the first time. TMNT was still all the rage at the time, even though I never got into it.
Then I blinked and realized he looked more like a dog or wolf than a rat.

Of course, I am still convinced Darooou is a wookie like Chewbacca from Star Wars.
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

Does anybody know how the BBCode is showing up in my post like that instead of being parsed? I didn't even know that was possible.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Basil brush did have a girlfriend called Roxy, apparently: so maybe a better fit.

Daroou as Bungle was Saumun's suggestion, though Chewbacca is a great idea - so keep them coming in, happy to update the gallery. :)
JayP
Neophyte

Post by JayP »

What if DM characters were pokemon characters ? :D That would also be fun
What if Dm characters were cartoon characters but hand-drawn ?
I will try to draw some cartoon characters and will return with my "fantastic" art :D

Until then check out my learning source if u wish

Edited by Ameena to remove a link - this is literally the only post you've made so it looks kind of spammy...