The 'Massive-Spoiler Parlour Game': succinctly summarise the stories

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
boyflea
Expert

The 'Massive-Spoiler Parlour Game': succinctly summarise the stories

Post by boyflea »

Hi,
first off, SPOILER warning, ;).

I am curious - having revisited Dungeon Master I had to re-think of it in terms of goals and objectives. From this I created a 20-point list of game-goals: hit all of them and you win the game.
Spoiler
Choose your Champions.
Welcome: learn the basics of combat, navigation, puzzles and traps.
Complete at least 4 of the rooms in 'Choose Your Fate'.
The Riddle Room needs at least 3 unique items, found in the upper dungeon.
You need at least 3 Iron keys to progress beyond the Riddle Room.
Get past the Void
Find the scorpions to get the Magnifier.
The Magnifier will unlock the Ruby Key.
Use the Corbamite to solve a puzzle to get one of the RA Keys.
Go deep to get the last 2 RA Keys
The Ruby Key gives access to the path to the Master Key.
To Get the Firestaff itself requires the Master Key.
The Firestaff itself lies locked at the heart of the Tomb of the Firestaff.
The Tomb of the Firestaff will need 4 RA keys, found throughout the dungeon.
Get the Firestaff from the Tomb of the Firestaff, but it needs a Fire Gem.
The Fire Gem lies sealed in rock beyond the fiery Dragon.
The Winged Key unlocks the back-passage to the Dragon's Lair.
Use ZO KATH RA to release the Fire Gem.
Combine the Firestaff with the Fire Gem to get the Fused Firestaff.
Use the Fused Firestaff to imprison Lord Chaos.
Firstly, is there anything you'd add / subtract from this list?

Secondly - what would a list for the other games look like? Especially Chaos Strikes Back - but also Dungeon Master 2 and Theron's Quest?
Surely no-one can summarise Chaos Strikes Back... way too convoluted...
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: The 'Massive-Spoiler Parlour Game': succinctly summarise the stories

Post by Ameena »

Chaos Strikes Back...

~ Import your old party/create a new one
~ Survive the Worm Room
~ Get to the Junction of the Ways
(Do the next four in any order)
~ Complete the first part of Ku and get the solid key from the Dragon on the lowest level of the dungeon
~ Complete the first part of Ros and get the emerald key from within the Dragon Maze
~ Complete the first part of Dain and get the ruby key from around the "Bridge" area
~ Complete the first part of Neta and get the turquoise key from where it's flying back and forth across a room
~ Get to the Diabolical Demon Director (DDD)
(Do the next four in any order, or be sneaky and only do three, grabbing the fourth corbum by hopping around the column from another side via fake pits)
~ Complete the second part of Ku and get the corbum from that side of the Corbum Pillar
~ Complete the second part of Ros and get the corbum from that side of the Corbum Pillar
~ Complete the second part of Dain and get the corbum from that side of the Corbum Pillar
~ Complete the second part of Neta and get the fourth corbum from that side of the Corbum Pillar
~ Get to the topmost floor of the dungeon
~ Either fight through the massive room of death or sneak around the secret side-passage to the Ful Ya Pit
~ Chuck the corbums into the Pit

That's everything that needs to be done - obviously things such as Supplies for the Quick are very useful, but you're probably quite likely to do those anyway in the process of trying to do the "main" objectives.

I could probably do a list for DM2 as well but it's been longer since I played it (and I haven't played it as much) so I can't fully remember allthe main things - like, I know you start by getting the Ra key and the Moon key and all that to open the loop around the outside and find the four Clan Key pieces, but I can't remember exactly where all those things are.
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Amazing! You've made an infamously complex puzzler game seem so simple! :) I really want to play this again now, :)
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, that really is all you have to in CSB - get at least three of the keys from "Part One" of each Way, get to the DDD, enter "Part Two" of each Way using said keys and get each Corbum (from what I remember you can sneak around the pillar from the Ros side to the Dain side via a fake pit and grab that one while you're there, saving you a trip), then chuck 'em all into the pit. Boom. Done :D.
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Yes, I found it amazing when I understood the logic behind a game that seemed totally chaotic at first, and indeed how simple in structure it was (despite the fact that this simplicity is well hidden). It actually didn't happen until I played it again after joining these forums, but suddenly I had a light bulb moment and it all fell into place.