Newbie with questions...

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gavindale Marchovia
Novice

Newbie with questions...

Post by Gavindale Marchovia »

I had Dungeon Master for my Apple II GS - and had a good time with it, but the game ran with lots of lag, so I didn't get too far into it. I gave away that computer a long, long time ago, but want to play Dungeon Master again. Anyway, my question is... where is the best, reliable place (website) to download both Dungeon Master and it's sequel? I am running Windows 8.1, if that helps at all.
JETENGINE
Journeyman

Re: Newbie with questions...

Post by JETENGINE »

In my opinion, the best way to play the games is DOSBox. The best site would be Dungeon Master Encyclopaedia, though I also have a CD of the official sequel, DM2.
Hanging by a thread.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

DOSBox will give you the PC version of the game, which came out some years after the original version did on Atari and Amiga - you can download CSBWin which is a port of the Atari versions of DM and CSB and I believe therefore the most accurate. Return to Chaos is a clone that was designed from scratch so has some differences such as enemy spells (or at least, Lightning Bolts) hurting so much more than they used to :(.
Since DM2 came out later, you can't play this one in CSBWin but I expect you can locate a free download of it somewhere and just run that in DOSBox :D.

Post by slickrcbd »

[quote="Gavindale Marchovia" post_id=153288 time=1505927406 user_id=3637]
I had Dungeon Master for my Apple II GS - and had a good time with it, but the game ran with lots of lag, so I didn't get too far into it. I gave away that computer a long, long time ago, but want to play Dungeon Master again. Anyway, my question is... where is the best, reliable place (website) to download both Dungeon Master and it's sequel? I am running Windows 8.1, if that helps at all.
[/quote]
The lag wasn't that bad. I played on a ROM 1 IIGS with[b][u]out[/b][/u] Transwarp or ZIPGS from around 1990 to 2008. That IIGS is mothballed (carefully stuffed in boxes) in my mom's basement. First computer the family owned.
I've beaten the game many, many times on it.
Although it is marginally slower than when I tried CSBWin on a Dell Optiplex GX110 (1ghz single-core processor, then 256mb of RAM, now 512mb of RAM, then WIndows 98SE, now dual-boots to XP).
That did mess me up with "Supplies for the quick" as the timing was off and it was slightly harder than if CSB had been available for the IIGS (too bad, I would have bought it. I even wrote to FTL asking if they had a IIGS version I could buy since I saw it in stores but not for my computer back in the day).