Dungeon Master Artworks

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Hrothgaar
Novice

Dungeon Master Artworks

Post by Hrothgaar »

Hi all!
I have looked around google and various places in the forums but I am either blind or unlucky, I could not find any files of the original DM(s) art like wall tiles, items etc.

Considering the many DM clones which have been done over time, I think that there must be a place to access the files and take a look at them.

Could you guys point me in the right direction?
As a second question, are these pieces still copyrighted or could they be used in a free project?

Hroth
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Dungeon Master Artworks

Post by Ameena »

Well, the clones like RTC use them and there are no problems there :). It's okay to use the resources as long as you're not trying to make money out of it. I'm not sure if there's a specific place you can get them but I know RTC had bitmaps for everything, so maybe download that (or one of the other clones) and have a look?
Alternatively, maybe check out the Encyclopaedia (web address is dmweb.free.fr) and see if anything's available there?
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

You can use tools to extract all the bitmaps and sounds from the original data files of all versions of the games:
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/707
http://greatstone.free.fr/dm/
The second one has many of the data files already extracted and you may browse them online.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Anyone know to whom I can report broken links on:
http://greatstone.free.fr/dm/index.html

In particular: Links in the section 2011-01-19 3d2D1D maze
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Paul, you may send a message to greatstone: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1138
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Thanks much. I have sent a PM.
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

[quote=ChristopheF post_id=153363 time=1507742731 user_id=9]
You can use tools to extract all the bitmaps and sounds from the original data files of all versions of the games:
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/707
http://greatstone.free.fr/dm/
The second one has many of the data files already extracted and you may browse them online.
[/quote]

Where were those tools back in 1989 or 1990 when I wanted to use some of those sound effects for various things on my Apple IIGS, back when microphones were uncommon and we couldn't just hit the web to search for the perfect sound effect.
I looked, but couldn't find the sounds in a usable format with the tools I had available back then.

Sorry, nostalgia, just reminiscing about the old days when I played DM as a kid. How the world has changed in the last 25 years is amazing. They weren't kidding when they called it the "internet revolution".
Hrothgaar
Novice

Post by Hrothgaar »

Ameena wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:01 pm Well, the clones like RTC use them and there are no problems there :). It's okay to use the resources as long as you're not trying to make money out of it. I'm not sure if there's a specific place you can get them but I know RTC had bitmaps for everything, so maybe download that (or one of the other clones) and have a look?
Alternatively, maybe check out the Encyclopaedia (web address is dmweb.free.fr) and see if anything's available there?
Thank you for this hint, I tried to do this at first but everything seems to be closed in a .dat file which I could not access :-/

The Website with all bitmaps on it is helpful :-)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Hrothgaar wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:44 pm
Ameena wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:01 pm Well, the clones like RTC use them and there are no problems there :). It's okay to use the resources as long as you're not trying to make money out of it. I'm not sure if there's a specific place you can get them but I know RTC had bitmaps for everything, so maybe download that (or one of the other clones) and have a look?
Thank you for this hint, I tried to do this at first but everything seems to be closed in a .dat file which I could not access :-/

The Website with all bitmaps on it is helpful :-)
If you want you can use the RTCeditor to grab all the files, you'll have to capture them.
keep your gor coin handy