Old-Shool vs Modern Crawlers transparency question

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
JETENGINE
Journeyman

Re: Old-Shool vs Modern Crawlers transparency question

Post by JETENGINE »

Like getting a feel for a weapon by swishing or swinging it to see how it handles? That I could understand.
Anyways, how the heck do the characters know exactly how much something weighs? I can see an estimate that is rounded up to the nearest half a kg or so, but knowing exactly how much something weighs, or how much you can carry, is well beyond any mortal's knowledge. I don't even think that even the Gray Lord would know exactly how much something would weigh.

Jay.
Hanging by a thread.
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

You mean like the "Screamer Store" on level 4?
Screamers aren't exactly much of a threat unless you are low on health and mana and get sandwiched between several groups with no room to maneuver.
One of the most embarrassing TPKs I ever did. Stuck in the middle of 16 screamers one or two squares into the screamer room.

It might have been only 12, with a wall in the last direction. I also might have wasted my mana trying to practice high level poison clouds and lightning bolts. If the screamer room was full, they couldn't move out of the cloud, so I tried using the rarely cast spell (just about all but two groups of wasps on level 6 can be killed with a LO and all with an UM level poison cloud, the later wasps deep on level 1 usually need UM or ON, but that's about all I usually cast it on, unless it is a LO level one to get some monsters to move. ).
JETENGINE
Journeyman

Post by JETENGINE »

I guess that is what I mean. ALTHOUGH I was planning to create the Ultimate Screamer.

Another question: how do the characters know exactly how much hp, energy, or mp they have left? I can see knowing the maximum point values, and then having ratings of "Good" (71%-100%), "Fair" (41%-70%), and "Low" (1 point-40%), but I can't see the characters knowing their exact current health, energy, or mana.
Yet again off topic here, but I noticed that there is some overlap with the "Silly Game Mechanics" forum sometimes.

Not usually this perceptive,
Jay.
Hanging by a thread.
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

The character's don't. Theron (you) is [s]puppeting[/s] guiding them with a spell, and the spell provides that information.
Erik Bauer
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

To me, the "Hidden Stats" approach of Dungeon Master is more realistic than the "I show you everything" approach: In real life you don't know how many libs your punches can deliver, fterall. You can guess their effectiveness looking at the punching bag/sparring partner reactions everytime you land a hit.
But... Far from being a "Numbercrunching/MinMaxing/Rollplayer" I come from pen and paper RPGs and I do like knowing the numbers behind my equip and my characters... to this reguard I find Grimrock and Eye of Beholder being better than DM, also the "power level bar" shown while examining an object in Skullkeep was a great improvement over the original (one of the very few, to be honest...)
Don't let a closed door stop you
Erik Bauer
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

slickrcbd wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:12 am The character's don't. Theron (you) is [s]puppeting[/s] guiding them with a spell, and the spell provides that information.
Exactly my "background tought" everytime I play: the spell that bounds me, Theron, to the champions I pick lets me know all their abouts and is expressed by the UI of the game.
Don't let a closed door stop you