behavior of swamp slimes

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Leslie
Adept

behavior of swamp slimes

Post by Leslie »

I just played good old DM again (the Amiga version) and remembered something which already confused me during the old times when DM was new.
Unlike other monsters, the swamp slimes act somehow... cowardly.
You as the player can "lure" almost any monster to any place you want. If you allow the monster to follow you and then retreat for one square, the monster usually follows even over long distances.
Not the swamp slimes. They will also follow for some squares, but then retreat again and give up the chase. Do they have other AI code than the rest of the creatures?
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Re: behavior of swamp slimes

Post by ChristopheF »

There is nothing specific for Swamp Slimes in the AI source code. Any difference must be explained by the values in the creature descriptor, see http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/1363
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

So maybe it is the combination of sight range 2, detect range 1 and Spell casting range 3?
If I understand correctly, this makes the Swamp slime very bad at noticing the party. And if it does, it will rather cast a spell instead of advancing the party?
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Yes that is probably correct.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

That is what happens Leslie. I created an example of that with a Knight. I didn't see much use for that function in the swamp slimmer other than to seem more random. If you want I can show you some AI that takes advantage of what Chris was saying, monsters operate completely on their own and not so easy to predict their movement or how they'll attack if they attack.
keep your gor coin handy