Are there any clones that fix the useless items / rebalance?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
zeech
Novice

Are there any clones that fix the useless items / rebalance?

Post by zeech »

Hi, I vaguely recalls seeing some changenotes somewhere about one of the clones giving a purpose to items like the Hellion and the Dragon Spit?
Also I guess I'd be interested in something that rebalances the game a bit (like make Parry / Block / Stun more obviously useful, and make staffs more useful etc.)

Have we heard about anything that does stuff like that?

Thanks!
Saumun
High Lord

Re: Are there any clones that fix the useless items / rebalance?

Post by Saumun »

Isn’t the working dragon spit part of the DSB notes? I forget.
Any of the clones like CSBwin, RTC, DSB can do this.
Whether there is DM conversion already out there with these things altered..... I doubt it.
That being said, you could load a version of DM into any of the editors and change whatever you want yourself.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
zeech
Novice

Post by zeech »

Hmm, I tried both CSBBuild and the RTC Editor, and I couldn't find anywhere that lets you edit items or spells. I could only see where you can edit levels and place items. Can you please tell me if I'm on the wrong track?

Edit: Ah, I found the item editor in RTC Editor. As a separate thing, is there any way I can see what actions like "ACTION_SHIELD_PARTY_MONSTER" actually do? Or is it hardcoded into the main game exe?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

In RTC, the original objects cannot be changed.
You have to clone them.
Once you’ve selected an object, look for the ‘clone’ option in the bottom right of the screen.
It replicates the object but allows you to change whatever you like. Once you’ve done what you want, okay it and give it a different name (or RTC will name it for you - usually just adding a ‘2’ at the end).
If you want to test what various actions do, your best option is to create a few objects with different actions, create your own mini dungeon (just a small room will do), and place the objects in it.
Run your dungeon in test mode to observe what the objects do.

Once you’re happy, delete the original objects in DM and replace them with your own.
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

zeech wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:25 am Also I guess I'd be interested in something that rebalances the game a bit (like make Parry / Block / Stun more obviously useful, and make staffs more useful etc.)
Obviously useful? I thought the consensus here 18 years ago was that block and hit did nothing in the original game, and that parry was virtually useless. Stun on the morningstar actually seemed to do as much damage as swing, so it wasn't so bad.

Sorry, I asked the question sometime between 1999 and 2001, and I think it was here, if this was the forum linked to by dmweb.free.fr back then. Then I was absent for a long time.
zeech
Novice

Post by zeech »

slickrcbd wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:46 pm
zeech wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:25 am Also I guess I'd be interested in something that rebalances the game a bit (like make Parry / Block / Stun more obviously useful, and make staffs more useful etc.)
Obviously useful? I thought the consensus here 18 years ago was that block and hit did nothing in the original game, and that parry was virtually useless. Stun on the morningstar actually seemed to do as much damage as swing, so it wasn't so bad.

Sorry, I asked the question sometime between 1999 and 2001, and I think it was here, if this was the forum linked to by dmweb.free.fr back then. Then I was absent for a long time.
Oh ok. I don't know what they actually do, since it's not obvious :P

You can replace the sentence with "make them actually useful" then ;)
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

This has given me an idea for creating a genuine ‘stun’ move. I can picture how it will work.