How do I download Dungeon Master for my Windows 10 computer?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
NeveroddoreveN
Neophyte

How do I download Dungeon Master for my Windows 10 computer?

Post by NeveroddoreveN »

How do I download Dungeon Master for my Windows 10 computer? And also, I remember something about the Dungeon Master encyclopedia - can someone shed some light on this?
slickrcbd
Adept

Re: How do I download Dungeon Master for my Windows 10 computer?

Post by slickrcbd »

The site you mentioned has lots of links to various versions for download.
http://dmweb.free.fr/
I honestly don't know what works on Windows 10. When I want to play, I just boot my Windows 98SE/XP computer that is used as a file/print server into Windows 98SE mode and the game works just fine.
IIRC the port of CSBwin that runs the original Dungeon Master dungeon works just fine in Windows XP, and I haven't tried it on my newer computers.
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/851
NeveroddoreveN
Neophyte

Post by NeveroddoreveN »

I tried to get Virtual Machines for Windows 98 and XP, but since both are not supported anymore, I could not finalize their installation (believe me, I tried! I even called Microsoft for help. They said that I can't install them at this point). So I am running a Windows 10 computer with a Windows 8.1 Virtual Machine. I played Dungeon Master on my Apple// a LONG time ago, and would like to play it again.
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

Well, you could try the MS-DOS version with DOSBox. That might not help with CSB, but I already gave a link for the CSB emulator. IF it won't run, you can always try an Amiga or Atari emulator.
You can also use an Apple IIGS emulator for the Apple IIGS version. That particular version has a special place in my heart since it is what I used exclusively from 1989 until at least 2001 (on a real Apple IIGS as well. The computer wasn't hopelessly obsolete in 1988 or 1989).
https://www.dosbox.com/
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/622
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

CSBwin works perfectly well on Windows 10. At least this one
did. I downloaded and ran it just now to be sure:

http://dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/Games/D ... 171117.zip

Also, I imagine the DSB version of Dungeon Master would work just fine on Windoze 10.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

RTC and DSB are modern conversions of DM. They don't play exactly the same as the original, but are fantastic versions that work on Windows and come with tools for making your own dungeons and more. You might find these easier to use than the original DM. Downloads available via these links:

DSB (Dungeon Strikes Back) viewtopic.php?f=53&t=26508
RTC (Return to Chaos) viewtopic.php?f=23&t=27650
zeech
Novice

Post by zeech »

I played using an amiga emulator. It felt like it works better for me, since you can upscale and stuff like that with an emulator. The ports are sometimes a bit iffy on things like that.
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

Gambit37 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:19 am RTC and DSB are modern conversions of DM. They don't play exactly the same as the original, but are fantastic versions that work on Windows and come with tools for making your own dungeons and more. You might find these easier to use than the original DM. Downloads available via these links:

DSB (Dungeon Strikes Back) viewtopic.php?f=53&t=26508
RTC (Return to Chaos) viewtopic.php?f=23&t=27650
What is different from the original again?
Although I never played the original CSB, I first played it back in 2001 or 2002 when either RTC or CSBWin was released in a fully playable form. I can't recall which one now and the old Win98SE/XP computer is turned off.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

RTC was made from scratch and has a number of differences from the original - spell damage is definitely one. Things like Lightning Bolts hit a lot harder than they should (I was getting pretty much one-shot by Beholders, which never used to happen on the Atari), and I found that I could no longer one-shot Wasps and Munchers with a Lo-level Fireball which I definitely remember being able to do.
CSBWin is apparently a direct port from the Atari so is reportedly the most accurate - certainly it seems pretty much how I remember it but I think I've only played it through once since downloading that version.
Haven't tried DSB so don't know about that one.

Post by slickrcbd »

What's a "Muncher"? I'm mostly familiar with the terms from the 2nd edition of the hint book, which I got because the maps made it easy to remember where items were and there was no such thing as the World Wide Web yet.
I recall you can kill all but two wasps with a LO level poison cloud on level 6, and only need UM or ON level for the later levels.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Munchers are the 3 mouthed red flying things in Chaos Strikes Back. They are basically wasps with different graphics. Image

Regarding DSB, it's a much more flexible clone of DM, but unlike RTC which was done by "feel", DSB uses a lot of DMs original algorithms -- so it plays much more like the original. But it also has tons of advancements: much better monster intelligence for a start. And on top of that, it's infinitely flexible for dungeon designers. Having used both RTC and DSB extensively, I can say that DSB is the much more powerful of the two, but does have a higher learning curve.
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

OK, now after the blunder I made in the other thread about ghosting, I'm thinking I need to play a new game. Do any of the options discussed NOT work in Windows 10? I don't think I've tried Dungeon Strikes Back and I have only tried an early version of RTC many years ago.
I've played CSBWin a few times on my Windows 98SE/XP machine, but maybe I should try one of the clones in case that machine dies.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, since none of them are particulary enromous downloads, why not just try grabbing the latest versin of each and see if they work? Personally I would favour CSBWin because it's closest to the Atari version I played (or just outright download the actual Atari version onto my emulator, which is something I haven't tried yet). I can't say whether any of them would specifically work in Win 10 as I don't have it (Win 7 here - noped out of the "free Win 10" thing when I found it was forcibly downloading itself onto people's computers).
Neophyte

Post by okoro »

I searched for DM on an Android device...found this for Windows:
https://www.freegameempire.com/games/Dungeon-Master
Works fine on 10.
E6AFret
Neophyte

Post by E6AFret »

OK !! I have some questions . I sincerely love Dungeon Master . I started playing it on my Amega back in the late 80's or early90's . I want to play it again . What do I need to do ?? I am not highly computer literate , so please be patient . How close is Chaos Strikes Back to the original Dungeon Master ?????
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

The easiest way to play truthful adaptations of DM and CSB (Atari ST versions) on Windows is to download CSBwin here: http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/851#toc19