Quest for the Holy Scroll

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
sucinum
Pal Master

Re: Quest for the Holy Scroll

Post by sucinum »

latin?
greek?
(just to throw in something)
Daniel (Sweden)
Craftsman

Post by Daniel (Sweden) »

Hello FOLKS!

Well, I do have an idea (most of a joke though), but I have heard that some people like Dustin Hoffman in Rainman have the ability to see codes in a flash. I think they are called authistic. Anybody know someone like that? Sounds like a simple solution compared to all the programs suggested...
Well...but as I said, its more of a joke

Cheers !

/ Daniel (Sweden)
ZAK

Post by ZAK »

I don't know what all the confusion is about, I worked it out within seconds of seeing it, I will not give the game away, but will give you all a little hint.

First you take the words in reverse order removing all the spaces this is called the KEY LETTERING, then multiply the number of letters by the number of words you started with. You then divide that number by the number of letters in the Greek alphabet. Take this number and divide it by four rounding it down to the nearest whole number, the resulting number is known as the KEY NUMBER

Take the KEY LETTERING and count along the letters until you reach the first KEY NUMBER, this becomes the first word. Repeat this again and again adding one to the KEY LETTERING every time. Before you come to the end of the KEY LETTERING you will have a remainder of letters smaller than the KEY LETTERING. You make the remaining letters (now a word) into the first word of the sentence. All the other words you have are now simple anagrams that can be deciphered using any cross word solving program.

Right, now that I made it easy for everyone :-)...........

Just want to say thanks to everyone who has been working seriously on this code and given me much interesting reading. I tried all the basic code breaking methods when the game first came out and gave up long ago, you are all mostly more ingenious than I in trying to break this code (if code it is)

What are the odds the I accidentally and jokingly stumbled onto the right method?...... Tell me after the asteroid strikes!

Zak
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

I think I'm too dumb for that... A few questions:

You have to take the words in reverse order, not all the letters, right? Does that also go for the unscrambling process when you have a key lettering and number?

When going for the letters with the key number, how do I know how long a word is after it was reversed and the spaces eliminated?

When do I increase the key number, after going through the line once?
(so if the number was 12, the 12th, 24th, 36th and 48th letter would be the first to take and then again the 4th, the 17th and so on?)

And I have no idea how Greek comes in here either, but I'm willing to give it a try once I understand the procedure...

Regards PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Um, you didn't take Zak seriously did you? And even if you did, he made it clear in the last two paragraphs that he was joking...
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Actually I did... but obviously I was wrong...
Randolf Boots Jr
Novice

Post by Randolf Boots Jr »

I thank its in Spanish, but this is just a gas.
Daniel (Sweden)
Craftsman

Wow ZAK! You was right!!!! Now the message is clear to me ; )

Good work! Thanks!

/Daniel (Sweden)
Jenda

Post by Jenda »

Ha ha! Good, Zak. I knew it! It´s not an anagram, but a Zig - zag(k)! Ha ha! Umpf..
But now seriously: any more ideas? If not, we can say it´s a red herring. (what about to vote if it is or isn´t a red herring?)
I must say that this is the most interesting problem in a computer game I remember. And the only one I have never solved (if I remember...I´ve got some grass-problems..). But I think my psychological forces are to weak to solve it. I am very near to give it up..
Jenda

Post by Jenda »

Ha ha! Good, Zak. I knew it! It´s not an anagram, but a Zig - zag(k)! Ha ha! Umpf..
But now seriously: any more ideas? If not, we can say it´s a red herring. (what about to vote if it is or isn´t a red herring?)
I must say that this is the most interesting problem in a computer game I remember. And the only one I have never solved (if I remember...I´ve got some grass-problems..). But I think my psychological forces are to weak to solve it. I am very near to give it up..
Jenda

Post by Jenda »

Sorry. some computer problems..
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

I still believe it's most likely just an anagram, maybe with the letters scrambled throughout the words though. What we need is a fresh angle. So: Can we find out the 10 most common letters for several "likely" languages (english, french, german, spanish, latin...) and compare them with the 10 most common letters in this text? Maybe that will help us...
Jenda

Post by Jenda »

I DON´T think that this sentence (if it is a sentence...) is NOT in English.

Although.. hahaha: If I remember well, once I tried to "google" each single word of it and Google found several www-pages for each of them (except "aquantana"), and for each of them it was in another language (sweden, serbia, greek or what etc.)...well, it´s meaningless, I know.

I´m not sure if that´s an anagram, ´cause it sounds like a common sentence in English - without meaning, but it sounds so..try to imagine you don´t speak English (for me it´s very easy), you just know how English sounds, and you hear this sentence - I think that in this case you won´t be able to recognise it´s not English. And this fact is the most strange for me. I think an anagram can´t sound so realistically.. Make 57-letters-long sentence and shuffle the words or what. How will it sound?

Ummm.. so the pesimism. And optimism - huh? any ideas how to solve it and do not spend above it our whole life? (but I must say I´m not gonna die until I will know the solution..)
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I think, the only ones who would be able to solve this are the ones who created it. And if they do not decide one day to reveal it to us, we'll never find out. That's it.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Jenda

Post by Jenda »

But I think I´ve read somewhere here, that they are not able to remember anythink about it. Any more ideas?
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Anagrams do not have to be constructed randomly with a computer, someone might as well have done it manually - do not forget this was 1990 or so...
Daniel (Sweden)
Craftsman

Hello JENDA!

I read about your Google search, that was a smart move (the easiest soultion is often the best). But I must say that none of the words are Swedish as far as I can se (no even if I threw around the letters a little, or try to say the words out loud). So I dont think Swedish is a part of the answer ("rednim" could be the Swedish word for "rescue" or "salvation" though, but that is the only word I find similar to Swedish).

But I loved your Idea, it was a smart move!

Yours Sincerly / Daniel (Sweden)
Jenda

Post by Jenda »

It was just a joke. In fact, I just remember, that googling for "jernum" or what, I found www pages "?????(don´t know).se". Actually, I´m not sure if "se" is Swedish domain (sorry), and I don´t think it´s a word with some normal meaning - it will be a name or something. YES - it was a WRETCHED ATTEMPT.. But in Czech, we´ve got such a proverb - how to translate it..."when you are sinking in a water, you´ll catch even at a stalk" (when you are wretched, you¨ll try everything to solve it).
Daniel (Sweden)
Craftsman

Hello JENDA!

Well..."se" is swedish domain. But I thought the Idea was smart incase of that they had made a message by picking words from different languages (worth checking in to). Well...so even if it was a joke, I think it was a good joke and a good idea :)

It could be a very easy explanation!

Cheers!

/Daniel (Sweden)
Daniel (Sweden)
Craftsman

Hello JENDA!

By the way, I got an Idea! If you look at a phone there are three letter under each number.

1 = ABC
2= DEF
etc.

Has anyone tried to translate every letter to a number and maybe sum them down in some ways (f.e. 3+7+9 = 19 = 1+9 = 10 = 1+0 = 1 = A). Maybe this is to simple (leavs us only nine letters, which is not likely), but the possibility could also be to look at the ninth number on the phone and see what possible letters it might symbolize. The Idea was that each word just represent a letter or something like that.

But I guess this Idea already is tested!!!

/Daniel (Sweden)
Daniel (Sweden)
Craftsman

Sorry I meant look at the first number (not ninth) and see what it might represent! If there is a real message Im convinced that it is an easy code, nothing that needs a nasa-computer (after all its just a game).

/Daniel (Sweden)
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Hmm nice idea, Daniel - could you have a look into it? I think that many things may have been tested but one problem we're having here is that only few people post their experiences or results with this scroll here.

So we're still working in utter dark where we might already have some light if more people would share (even failed!) attempts they had...

Maybe Christophe could make some kind of announcement, because I think no more than 5 people posted results that could be used by others afterwards ("I tried and could not succeed does not help me if I want to base my work on other's experiences"...)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I know I posted this earlier but it still strikes me as odd how the 6 grouping is so prevalent in the sentence. Everything is in a six block, barely hidden, except for the last aquantana, and there's nothing to stop them from having a null letter grouping at the end for fun and for distraction
Or if not then there is a perfect set of 19 three letter groupings

Since other methods don't seem to be working i think looking at the transportation, or several letters for one option should be checked, but I must admit i haven't the eye for this, and have just stared blankly at any boxes i have made with the sentences : )

grynix jernum
quey ki skebow
rednim u os dey
wefna enocarn
aquantana
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

I tried entering parts of the words into a rhyming dictionary to see if I could find rhymes then piece it all together. The results were'nt interesting though :-(.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

can you post the text of the scroll including original wordwrap?
a screenshot would also be nice :-)
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

The screenshot is on this page: http://dmweb.free.fr/CSBInformation.htm.

Here it is also:
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

I also re-read the earlier posts from time to time to get new ideas and I agree with Beowuuf, that the grouping is indeed too strange for pure randomness. So maybe there is some way to shuffle those words and find a new meaning.

Letters might still be decoded though...
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

i have heard that this site: http://dm.zpc.cz/?sekce=csbinfo maybe has the solution, but i dont understand too much (i didnt even find the forum).
Jenda

Post by Jenda »

I think you have heard it wrong. There is no solution, there is just written about this problem (I think this .cz pages are only poor copy of these we are in now, translated in Czech). There is no forum.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Nobody speak vexirk here? These are the names of the vexirks in the "Vexirk Cult" room.