Quest for the Holy Scroll

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

There is no solution.

Bloody fish.

Post by 303 »

OK, I've got no time.
But there must be A solution!
Bloody scroll.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

(hhgttg) there is a theory that suggests if both the scroll and the solution to the scroll are present at the same time the dungeon will implodes on itself and is replaced by something even more fiendishly difficult

there is a second theory that states in the case of conflux, this may have already happened (/hhgttg)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ah, Mr. Adams has a rich legacy...
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

I GOT IT !!

It means: Tb gb fyrrc ohg svefg qevax fbzr jngre :)

:)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

woohoo, you've just worked out the secret to half life 2! fantastic
*puts on glasses* wait, why are my eyes filled with coke...
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

boewuuf - do you ever sleep ? :) I like your style of responding - quite fasssst [zooom] ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, i'm in the UK, so it's only 10.30...but yes, i've had a longish weekend and work tomorrow, i suppose i need to sleep

hey, where who drank all my coke?

Post by 303 »

Dzien dobry.
Dobry den do Polska. Mene zrat a chlastat, ale vice behat.
Pedro
Journeyman

Post by Pedro »

I looked through this topic and I'm also intrigued by this scroll (I don't remember it from the game itself but remember room with vexirxs). It's very interesting to read how the dungeon fans cope with that mysterious riddle.
Of course, I also looked at this strange text trying to find any clues. I assume two possibilities:
1. the text is, as you name it in English, "red herring"
2. It is some coded text in English (perhaps including some non-English names)
Why english, and not another one? I've noticed a couple of elements characteristic for this language. These elements are word building, short conglomerates of letters. It is very easy to find many words based on these conglomerates, i.e. in the phrase "gRynix Ernum QUey kI skebow REDnim" I found word "require" or "required". If that word would be a part of code it should be supposedly coded in some logical way. We have following numbers of letters in particular words: 2-1-{1,2}-2-0-{1,2,(3)}. These numbers seems to be "nearly" set in logical order. There is much more words who are posibble to build of "English conglomerates", i.e. "quest".
But never mind ... I have much better idea how to find a substantial clue to break that code. I know that DM was released in several language versions, so I think that CSB was translated too. The trick is to play that other versions to find out what is written in that scroll. If the text is the same, we have been (rather) struggling with FTL joke. If not, then we have two or more examples in various languages. I needn't add how a great clue it would be. So, anybody has this game in German or French language?

Someone mentioned here, that he put a question to one of the authors CSB. And what was the answer?.

Pedro
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

This scroll is only found in the first version of CSB for Atari ST. It was removed in later versions.
I believe there has been no translations of this very first version to other languages, at least I have never heard of any one.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@Pedro, I posed the question about the scroll to Andy Jaros, but he has -- as yet -- not given a definitive reply...
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

Aha! I found the solution!!

I was just searching, and came upon a web site that had some notes regarding this scroll.

Phew! And the solution is...

Wait a minute....who's that....Hey what's with the knife?!?

Oh no!! Don't kill me....-scream!- gurgle - thud-.......

------------

THIS GUY DIDN'T KNOW WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT.....DISREGARD...THERE IS NO SOLUTIION...FORGET ABOUT IT....
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Relig? We don't remember any Relig around here...nope, must be some other DM site you are looking for. Nope, don't reclall hearing about anyone finding out the Dark Secret of the CSB Scroll that none must know and we must kill to protect.

Nope.

<.<
>.>
-.-
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i knew you guys were all damn crazy :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yes, we are aaaaaaaaaaaaall crazy, just ignore our mad ramblings about the Dark Secret of the CSB Scroll that None Must Know and We Must Kill to Protect.

Hahaha

Crazy crazy

(linflas knows too much...)
Pedro
Journeyman

Post by Pedro »

ChristopheF wrote:This scroll is only found in the first version of CSB for Atari ST. It was removed in later versions.
I believe there has been no translations of this very first version to other languages, at least I have never heard of any one.
Do you mean there were more versions on ST? I thought there was only one released in 1989.
Gambit37 wrote:@Pedro, I posed the question about the scroll to Andy Jaros, but he has -- as yet -- not given a definitive reply...
And what about Doug Bell and rest of the team? A.J. is mentioned on credits scroll page as graphics maker. Maybe we should turn with the request to the directors? And not personally but in the name of this forum.

P.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Doug doesn't know (or chose not to tell me!) -- Andy was responsible for most of the CSB puzzles. Don't woirry, I *will* find it out from them eventually.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Do you mean there were more versions on ST? I thought there was only one released in 1989.
I meant other versions of the game like Amiga where they removed that scroll.

However, I am aware of at least two versions of CSB for Atari ST: 2.0 and 2.1. both in english, both including the scroll.
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

Hmm, Atari ST... hmm, hmmm [ekhm]

Well - I could be wrong, but... I'm pretty sure that this scroll says something like that: "Amiga sucks, buy a real computer and put Amiga into the deepest water" :P

So - the case is closed ? ;]
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Cough *wheeze*... Amiga sucks? Fine specimen of a computer! I long for the days of my A4000 with simple OS, etc etc, never crashed, etc etc, hell it even loaded DM2 first time which is nothing short of a miracle.

Amazingly though, the scroll according to the Fairy Ring Champion, translates as this:

''Good screamers are interested in strange sizes of vexirk's spells. However Leyla has a large stupendously ego-tistical reason for refusing sherbert. Let's not drink too soon because the Painrats are blocking our latrines."
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

you forgot to mention oral surgery :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Amiga rules!

Hmm, the parts about gothmog and stamm seemed to have been ripped off the bottom of the scroll....
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Yes Amiga rules! DM/CSB on Amiga definitively has some features the ST versions are missing!!!
Good old times, that Amiga/ST-vendetta! ;-)
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

I believe that the scroll is a metaphor for life. Or maybe a bowling ball. Not that there's much difference anyway.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

noooo, one's round and has holes in it, and the other has a number engraved into it *nods*
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Mine doesn't. It just has a big empty spot where the head should be.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

that's deep and slightly depressing *puts a jester cap on it*
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

*cap slumps formlessly around said empty spot*

Note: I think I'm still drunk from Christmas Day.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

i have this foolish optomism that after an early start to new years eve of drinking and photography, my friend and i will still be able to get up around noon to go to some festivities on new years day

i think instead i will be lying on some floor wishing i had a bowling ball in my head!

not to drag this completely off topic or anything...