Playing CSB again

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Re: Playing CSB again

Post by MasterWuuf »

It's more like I got 'stumped' before I got that far. :cry:
Why am I made to suffer? :( :wink:

Hmmm. How do I figure my coordinates?
"Wuuf's big brother"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

The ruby key would have been just a bit further on down the Bridge area (can't remember if the "Bridge" sign is before or after the "Prove you are a Wizard" eye on the wall), as Gambit says it's not far.
I saw you mention you had the sapphire key and was getting that confused with the turquoise key. I know that's Neta but unfortunately that's the only one of the four keys that I can't remember the exact lcoation of. All I can remember of Neta, off the top of my head, is the bit with the mummies and the doors...
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

MasterWuuf, use the CSB maps on DMweb (although that site seems to be down right now).
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I may have to resort to that. (you probably refer to coordinate location, right?)

Dr. Love? You need to eat more Christmas goodies. You're looking skinny as a bone. (avatar)
"Wuuf's big brother"
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

About the Turquoise Key: It is on the Neta path, just before the purgatory. It flies through the air along with a scroll.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

That's not a good thing to hear.
Already been there and spent some time trying to get everything possible.

Is it possible I already used it?
I find it difficult to believe I lost that one key.

I've now used the solid key, but I've been wandering around so much I don't even know where that door was.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

All the four keys from the Ways are used somewhere in the DDD area - the solid key lets you into the "Fighters Charge" area, which leads on to the Dragon Den. There's nowhere else any of these keys can be used (otherwise you'd bugger your game up a bit if you used 'em in the wrong places, I think ;)), so maybe you either had it and have somehow misplaced it, or maybe you didn't get it yet and are confusing it with another key. Or maybe you still have it somewhere but you've missed it when looking through your inventory or something ;).
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Misplaced? Very doubtful.
Is there any chance I have already used it?
Where does it go?

I still can't recall how to get past the fake wall/pit area, or the corridor with the blue haze.
I'm reminded of that scary tune...

Duummm, dum, dum, dum, duuuummmm.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

The only place you can use any of those four keys is at the DDD, so unless you got the Turquoise key and went and used it and then ended up not going on to get the Neta Corbum, if you've picked it up and not dropped it, you should still have it somewhere ;). Maybe you got to the bit where it is, flying across that room as Trantor says, but because it's (mostly) grey, it fell on the floor and you didn't notice it, or something? I know there's a scroll flying through that same room, though I can't remember anything of what it says...probably because I don't really tend to bother reading scrolls ;).
By the "fake wall/pit area", do you mean the maze part of Ros, with all the weak Dragons in it? That's where you get the Emerald key, on the floor in the fake wall area before the pits, and you said you've already got that one. It's just a matter of finding your way through the walls, past the pits (without getting too many Fireballs upside the head from the local residents, of course ;)), and around to umm...I think there's some stairs or something. Maybe it's through another fake wall - it'd make sense, being Ros and all that ;).
Sorry, that's probably not very helpful is it? :P
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ameena wrote:there's a scroll flying through that same room, though I can't remember anything of what it says...probably because I don't really tend to bother reading scrolls ;).
Really? Then you missed a great clue that tells you how to solve the next room!

MasterWuuf, the turquoise key is indeed flying through the air with a scroll on the Neta way. You get it by standing in front of it so it drops to the ground. Have you done that yet?
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Gambit37 wrote:
Ameena wrote:there's a scroll flying through that same room, though I can't remember anything of what it says...probably because I don't really tend to bother reading scrolls ;).
Really? Then you missed a great clue that tells you how to solve the next room!

MasterWuuf, the turquoise key is indeed flying through the air with a scroll on the Neta way. You get it by standing in front of it so it drops to the ground. Have you done that yet?
Knocked the scroll down. I believe it says, "I will guide you through purgatory..." or something close.

I may try locating that room (outside the transporting room, with all the chubby little poisonball-tossing creatures).
It would be a shame, if I had knocked that scroll down, then missed the key when it dropped to the floor.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

If I remember rightly, a turqoise key looks like a solid key, only the middle of the "solid" part is blue. So probably you'll spot the little blue curcle first, knowing how these keys are on that grey stone floor ;).
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I know what the individual keys should look like.
Oh, I was tickled to see that the skeleton key was a little different in usage than in original DM.
I kept thinking, "Man, where's all the skeleton keys?" :lol:
I always 'hoarded' them until I just about had to use them, even in DM.

The Christmas vacation has slowed my CSB endeavor down to a crawl.
Our two boys are at home for at least another week.

I'm enjoying them, er, at least I was...(bought them a Wii for Christmas).
I may never get them to come out of the game room again.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Fermen
Apprentice

Post by Fermen »

(To start the thread once again)
Anyone also playin CSB right now? :)

How're ya doin?
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Yeah, I am replaying now with two characters - Arroc and Plague. First time I took less than 4 in any dungeon.

It is not too bad, fighting is not a problem. The only thing I miss from 4 characters is the extra carrying capacity, my guys are in the yellow a lot.

And due to the non-linearity of the dungeon it has a great re-playability - if I was writing a review I would give it a 10!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I will say it again - I love Aroc :) Nice little all rounder. Remember once you know the short cuts back, the Junction of the Ways becomes the perfect dumping ground for all your stuff
Fermen
Apprentice

Post by Fermen »

CSB is so confusing. The enemies variates so much in difficulty O.o, big "clefts". But I start to learn how it's built up and work things out now :D
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Good, good! It took me almost 15 years to learn that CSB has something between 5 and 20 levels. I hope you'll be more successful - keep us informed on your progress! :P
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
ferala
Apprentice

Post by ferala »

I accidentally saw the first map of CSB... That is just sick! I am not sure if i want to start spending time at conquering that ..
Then again i am used to play the unofficial nethack championship as a pacifist so i guess i have a masochistic nature.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol it's fine - just be prepared to die lots and spend most of your time with no idea wtf is going on or where you are :). There is a pattern to the dungeon, which you can probably get the hang of once you get used to wandering around the same places over and over againa nd working out how and where they link up and stuff. Just dive right on in, either with an imported party or with champs recruited in the Prison. Personally I've always imported the party I finished DM with - I like to stick with characters I know rather than just recruit a bunch of strangers ;).
Apprentice

Post by ferala »

As i played DM in Dosbox i think i will first finish DM again in RTC (original version, i don't like finding runes before being able to use them) to get a feel for it and maybe try a speed run once i get the hang of it, and after that import my char (i am thinking about Hissssa as he starts with 5 mana and is a rather good fighter) into CSB and try that with 1 player from the start. It is what i did in DAO, play it solo on the hardest mode. Once your magic is insane, many games seem to et unbalanced (in your favour). Dunno if you played DAO (Dragon Age Origin), but i can recommend it.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe yes, I have played it, as a Rogue kicking arse with backstab. My usual party was Alistair, Shale, and Scruff (my Mabari hound :D). Masses of stun effects from those guys meant I got to backstab many many people :twisted:. Good fun game, that :).
Apprentice

Post by Fermen »

Haven't been playing for awhile now, but 3 days ago, I started again. I have 1 corbum left now (dain) :)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I always do DAIN last too, because I find its lower section the most difficult - especially the
Spoiler
Flying Snake Room
. Yuck!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Agreed. Dain is scary, especially that part. Ku and Ros are fairly pleasant (by CSB standards).
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, I do Ku first 'cause I find it easiest, and Dain last 'cause it's a bastard of a place :P.
Apprentice

Post by Fermen »

I don't know what I did first really, but I also found Ku to be the easiest one :)
Fermen
Apprentice

Post by Fermen »

I'm in the dain and in the coutl room. I have pressed the west button and the hidden pressureplate is revealed. I throw stuff at it, but nothing happen :( What's the problem!? D:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I don't fully remember, but I recall you walk around in that big room with all the pits and stuff, and I think there's a button somewhere to open a fake wall, a sign called "Bridge" where you have to walk across a room which has lines of pits on either side, and also "Prove you are a Wizard" which is round there somewhere as well. I think there may be some fake pits in that room but I can't remember. I can just recall that when I do that part it's more a case of "Aaaarrrgh quick quick find the key so I can get out of here before all these bloody Flying Snakes eat me, arrrgh!" ;).
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

@Fermen: I always solve this room quite chaotically, but from what I remember, the west button and an object placed on the pressure pad should
Spoiler
remove one of the pits to the southwest. Some fake walls are also involved, so definitely try the walls to the south and the west from the West Button / Pressure plate for a fake one.
I think it all depends on how (from where) did you enter the couatl room.

EDIT: I looked in the CSBuild ( :oops: ) and an object on the pressure plate
Spoiler
removes a pit three spaces west and one space south from the West Button. Behind the removed pit (to the north) there's a fake wall, so go through it.
@Ameena: The Bridge is one of the accesses to the Couatl room.