Playing CSB again

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Playing CSB again

Post by Gambit37 »

On the ROS path from the Junction of the Ways, you will eventually get to a room full of illusion walls and lots of dragons. The emerald key is hidden in there.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Even with the upcoming dragons - I think you got the worst part behind you - you're close to the end!
Enjoy the rest ;)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

What Gambit said. I recall that to get from that area, one route from the Junction will take you there - you know how when you step out of the Junction onto a path, you usually get randomly teleported to a different "start location" for that path without you realising it (and if you didn't know before, you do now ;)). On one of these paths, if you clonk yourself against the left-hand wall as you walk away from the start alcove, you''ll find a fake wall with some stairs behind it. These lead into a fairly small room with Scorpions. There are some stairs in here (don't think they're behind a fake wall but if you can't see any stairs up then time for some more head-clonking ;)) which lead up into the Dragon maze part. Keep an eye on the floor whilst trying not to get invisibly nuked from all angles and you should spot the key soon enough. At least it's a gold-coloured key and not a grey one ;).
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Ameena, you are confusing parts of ROS and parts of KU.

Once you enter the giant room full with illusionary walls and dragons, the key is hidden on a tile in the northeastern part of that room.

The pit you need to close in the DDD in order to get to the zoooom area is THE legendary puzzle of CSB. To close that pit, you need to go through the hellhound corridor to the skeleton you need to teleport behind the iron gate a second time. This time, you will need to kill the skeleton by throwing stuff through the gate, then show the magical eye something to prove you did it. That should close the pit.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I fought through the black flames
Those black flames are fun. But there
is no need to go there. Everyone has
to do it once, however, just for laughs.

It is necessary if you wnat to solve the
"Kill-every-monster-collect-every-item"
challenge. That is the way to see the
entire dungeon! ;-)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hrmm, I thought the Dragon maze was upstairs from that Scorpy room...it has been a while since I played it. What is upstairs from that room then, if not the maze?
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Upstairs from the scorpion room on KU is just a corridor that leads to the DDD.

Below the dragon maze is the fireball/teleporter trap where fireballs get blown around several corners into the room where you steal the green gem. There are also lots of scorpions in there which you should use as fireball blockers. :P
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ohh yeah, that bit. Ick, that bit's annoying :P.
I knew there was something significant upstairs from that Scorpy room, I just forgot what it was ;). And I'd thought the Dragon maze was more accessible than that. Oh well. Brain zonkage due to several years since last time I played CSB ;).
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

I never did figure out how to get into "Death Row" at the scorpion level. Anyone figure out how to do that?

I found the emerald key at the dragon level. You have to use a compass since a spinner makes you do an about face. I made it through the zoom area though I didn't go into all the puzzles. I got the last corbon and was going to finish the game last night but it got late and I got tired of falling through pits being chased by Chaos and the ghosts.

I thought Chaos was only an Archmaster? If so, how come he can float across the pits? Is there a level above Archmaster?

Ameena, I watched the Christmas episode. The Vicar gets heavier with each episode. That was a funny episode though.
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

He has natural talents. The vexirks can float too!

Congratulations on your soon to be accomplishment! :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Vexirks are "flying" too? I never knew that. Then again, I don't think I've ever encountered a Vexirk at the same time as a pit.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, I only found out when I tried to have one disguised as a wall that could be destroyed, and the darn wall never worked because it floated!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Ameena wrote:I don't think I've ever encountered a Vexirk at the same time as a pit.
It's also a part of one puzzle in Imprisoned Again. But we are getting OT... Again.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Tzan-01
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

Chaos does run away when you use war cry on him. I finally won it. I still have the sapphire key, I don't know where it goes. I have plenty of keys, iron, key of Bs, square, gold, the skeleton, and the sapphire.
I tried Theron's Quest for CSBWin but I get it can't find a dungeon.dat file. I've done what the docs say but I get the error.

Beowuff, do you start conflux III from the beginning. I used my dungeon master saved game but when I try a fireball I'm told I cast a meaningless spell.

Why did the call the other game Dungeon Master II? Shouldn't it be Dungeon Master III or do they consider Chaos Strikes Back not to be part of the series?
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Wooo gratz on finishing CSB :D.
The spells in Conflux are different - so Fireball won't be Ful Ir but something else. Zyx being the fiendish dungeon creator that he is, you know ;).
As for DM2/CSB...maybe CSb was considered more of an "add-on" for DM, rather than a true sequel? I'm not sure. Or I can't remember. Either of the two ;).
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

That's what I understood as well (from Gambit?), Ameena. They wanted to do more add ons/expansions as well but never got around to it.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I never did figure out how to get into "Death Row"
You answered your own question:
zoom area though I didn't go into all the puzzles
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I'll be a bit more explicit than Paul:
Spoiler
From the zoom room, you can get to a corridor which ends with a door with a gold lock. If you use lockpicks on that lock, you fall down into the Death Row. The place isn't very interesting, but that is the only way to get there.
Congratulations on finishing CSB! CSB is considered a "mission disk" or "expansion pack" or whatever you want to call it as it uses the same engine as DM1. DM2 is the "true" sequel with different features - but if you ask me (and many others here), it's a much weaker game than DM1 and CSB.

I'm not quite sure how you managed to import your party into Conflux, I thought it was impossible. The idea is to start fresh. Fireball is one of the many spells that is different in Conflux, as Ameena said. There are also lots of new spells; some are locked, which means you need to find a scroll that tells you the spell even if you know the runes before. Be warned that Conflux is a huge, confusing and frustrating dungeon. If the difficulty doesn't put you off, it's a fantastic experience, but there are lots of other great custom dungeons which are less frustrating.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

@Tzan: Wow! Congratulations for finishing CSB! Well done! :P
Tzan-01 wrote:I tried Theron's Quest for CSBWin but I get it can't find a dungeon.dat file.
Which version did you download (there are more conversions)? Send us the link and we'll try to help you.
Tzan-01 wrote:Beowuff, do you start conflux III from the beginning. I used my dungeon master saved game
As Trantor, I have absolutely no idea how did you manage to import your DM savegame into Conflux. I didn't know it was possible. :shock:
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Isn't it simply renaming it to csbgame.dat, then use the utility-function of csbwin with the dungeon.dat of conflux in the folder?

EDIT: Ah yes, only with mini.dat...
Tzan-01
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

Back in the old Atari days everyone finished DM, but very few finished CSB. I mapped out both games but I don't know where the maps are. A few days ago I came across 2 books that were given to me back in those unholy days: The Lost Scrolls of Mount Anaias by Bob Retelle, and Secrets of Dungeon Mastery by Tracy Raye Hickman. Has anyone heard of them?

How do you make a movie of your game, and how do you stop the movie from recording? I don't think I did it right. Also, can you stop and then pick up again later?

Here's where I got Theron's Quest for CSBWin: http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=view/CustomDungeons

Was the problem for the creators of these games was that they couldn't get the add ons/sequels out in a timely manner, technology outpacing their ability to get a new game out? Eye of the Beholder only had 3 in their series.

I just put my DM game file in the folder with Conflux III and chose resume, and chose the file and it loaded it right up. Graphics are really good. The new dragon looks a bit like my baby picture though.

I think I'll go back to areas I passed up and do some exploring. Go to the Death Row area now that I have an idea of how to get there.
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Tzan-01 wrote:Here's where I got Theron's Quest for CSBWin: http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=view/CustomDungeons
So you mean the TQ for CSBwin by Sphenx, all right? I tried it and it worked. I'll describe what I did (the theron_package.txt gives you a good help):

1. I took the DM for CSBwin game (all the files) and copied it into a new directory. Into the same directory I copied all the files by Sphenx (graphics.dat - rewrite the original one, and the *.dat files for the 7 dungeons).

2. I renamed the dungeon I wanted to play (e.g. "ST-TQ1-aktuba-dungeon.dat") to dungeon.dat.

3. I started the game (Enter the dungeon), chose a hero, and then a teleporting field appeared behind me that took me to the beginning of the dungeon.

Unfortunately, in this way you have to play the seven dungeons separately - finish one dungeon, then rename another file and start a new game. :(
Tzan-01
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

Thanks, that works. I started playing Towers of Chaos. You're suppose to put something in the church (a donation). I tried everything I have but nothing opens the door.
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

You must donate a thing that is carried by a monster. This monster is generated by a pad near the door you want to open. Just walk at the door randomly for some time and you will summon it sooner or later. It's a
Spoiler
cross

And, please, use the specific thread in Custom Dungeons section for these queries: http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 31&t=23363

And, congratulations for choosing this dungeon! It's my favourite one... although I don't remember all solutions to all the puzzles.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Playing CSB again. Hoping to finish, this time. That eye 'prove you are a wizard' thing was an embarrassment.
Sadly, the next place I showed up also has me stumped. Grrr.
And I can hardly wait to find a way to touch that small switch in the wall, with the flying snake gates.
On the positive side??? I happened upon a RA key
Spoiler
where I'm sure I didn't find it before
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Emerald. Sapphire. Solid. Two keys of B.
Haven't found any Corbum, however.

(You know, I believe I may have finished this game on my ST 1040 or my Mega ST.)

I've tried to wander the halls without using many helps.
Death Row must have a spot to place a key, or a hole to try the lock picks. (I nearly missed those picks entirely)
It must be on another floor, perhaps? :?:
I'm getting a little tired of seeing that door.
I may have to tame a dragon, then drag it up there to burn that door to the ground. :?

Found the 'accursed?' room of worms. I must have tossed 200 or more worm rounds into the junction. :lol:
Tossed them through one of the two 'hope there aren't more' fake walls.
Then tossed the entire mass through the blue haze.

I may have to freeze them. Otherwise, I fear most of them will spoil before I need to eat them.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Entering the Death Row is hard and not necessary at all.
In order to find the Corbums, you have to enter the Diabolical Demon Director. In there, you need the Emerald Key, the Ruby Key, the Solid Key and the Turquoise Key.
No idea what "accursed room of worms" you are talking about. I have one in mind, but if you haven't found any Corbums yet, chances are you are talking a different one.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Maybe it's that area down the bottom somewhere...I know there's certainly a load of Worms in that room at the bottom with the Ku Dragon (which MW has evidently already done as he has the solid key).
So if you haven't got he ruby key yet, you haven't done Dain. Um...good luck with that ;). It's at the area with "Bridge" and "Prove you are a Wizard" and all the Flying Snakes and stuff, just upstairs from the Cistern.
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I don't have the turquoise or the ruby key. I have three of the B keys.
I've been to the 'bridge' section. I showed them I was a Wizard (not Priest, Sophia :oops: ).
I haven't actuated the small triangular switch on the wall of that room.
I've stepped back through the blue haze on the bridge area.

P.S. I finally headed back to the stairs to the Demonic Director (my drop-off of choice for extra stuff).
"Wuuf's big brother"
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The ruby key is near the end of the Bridge area on the wizard path. It's in a chest after you fight some Couatls. It sounds like you backtracked before you got that far?