which version of CSB?

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
wu tse
Apprentice

which version of CSB?

Post by wu tse »

Hi again! I understand that CSB is a demanding game but after DM, i would like to complete this too, even if progress slowly. So what version do you suggest between the two here? http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/851#toc19. I don't know the differences.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: which version of CSB?

Post by Gambit37 »

If you're using a PC, use the second link from the top: "Clone-CSBwin-PC-ChaosStrikesBack-100.zip" -- I think this version is fine.

However, if you want the newest work-in-progress version, you can visit this page and grab the highest numbered ZIP file: http://www.dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/
The latest file is "CSBwin11_050.7z" -- you'll need the 7Zip archive program to unzip it.
wu tse
Apprentice

Post by wu tse »

Ok, i downloaded the second version, it runs only in windows mode, not in dosbox. So, i tried several times to import my characters from my last saved game of DM but it doesn't seem to work or i am doing something wrong. I tried all the options, utility, hint and the other one. I placed a save.dat file in the main folder but i didn't make it. I'd appreciate any help.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The CSBwin game is based on the atari game, not PC. So you can't directly import the game.

However, I think you can open the dmsave.dat in CSBuild. It should complain alot, and ask if you want to change the endian. Say yes. Resave as 'csbsave.dat or whatever csbsaves need to be called. If all is well, that file can be imported into CSB

CSBwin is a windows application, so not playable through dosbox. It doens't have a fullscreen mode, but you can fake one if you need too. If you look for the download link to Conflux, it has some /bat and config.txt files that demonstrate how to do this.
wu tse
Apprentice

Post by wu tse »

Thanks, i'll give it a try and if i can't do it i'll choose new characters, i don't mind using a new team.
Gandalf
Novice

Post by Gandalf »

With Clone-CSBwin-PC-ChaosStrikesBack-100.zip you can make a character likely invincible and monster/wall resistant in Prison with a nasty trick ( by killing your first hero while resurrecting another ) but it looks like it is not possible anymore with the latest version. Even a tricky save from version 100 is cleaned when you launch it later with latest CSBwin11_055.

Update : It works finally even with latest CSBWin build after I created a party with CSBwin10_101 taken from CSBWIN file MaximizedStats.zip ( the prison had a TOADROT guy with max stats ) . In prison I take first Death, killed him ;-) while taking another one , Necro, killed this second one with poison cloud while resurecting Plague ( who take near no damages anymore and no damage at all from walls) and for the fun I complete with maxed TOADROT in fourth place. The only weird thing so far is that both Death and Necro bones are named "Plague bones" when they die but ressurection works just fine. The two others are like gods ... usefull for testing since the last time I completed CSB was ten years ago ...
Dungeon MaSTer since 1987 , DMJava & RTC Designer from these glorious days ;-)
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I downloaded the CSBwin10 101 version, with the black sword icon.

Will I be able to transfer my DM characters into this version?
"Wuuf's big brother"
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

But... but... but... I've sent you the instructions a few weeks ago... :?
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

MasterWuuf wrote:I downloaded the CSBwin10 101 version, with the black sword icon.

Will I be able to transfer my DM characters into this version?
I take it from the general info on the game screens
that I can't download my DM characters into this version? Oh well.
"Wuuf's big brother"
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

It is possible...unless that version is something different to the regular CSBWin? I am not an expert on the various versions.

Anyway, below are some instructions Jan gave me last year before I transferred my characters.
Jan wrote:Congratulations, Brother, and good luck in CSB. Keep us informed on your progress!

To transfer your characters from DM to CSB in CSBWin engine, do this: copy your savegame (for example csbgame4.dat) from DM folder to CSB folder. Start CSB (csbwin.exe), click on Utility, open the respective savegame (e.g. csbgame4), click on Make new adventure (twice), and save it into one of the save slots (e.g. csbgame1). Then close the game and start it once again, click on Resume, and load the savegame (csbgame1) - and tada, here you go! :)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I think MW has finally managed to solve the problem... I hope...
wu tse
Apprentice

Post by wu tse »

oh_brother thanks for the info, i remember trying and not making it, i will try this solution and i hope it works. If not, it's ok. I still haven't tried to end CSB after DM but i didn't forget about it, it's like unsettled business :)
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Yes, you and Lord Chaos have some unsettled business to deal with. :D

The instructions I got worked fine, so there should not be any problem as long as you are using CSBWin.
wu tse
Apprentice

Post by wu tse »

I'll let you know when i do it, thanks.
wu tse
Apprentice

Post by wu tse »

I had a problem starting with my DM characters. I copied the.dat save file from DM into CSB folder (in that folder there is also a csbwin4 save file after the extraction of CSB main folder) and i clicked on utility as the instructions suggest, then a list of save slots appeared but the save file from DM was not listed there. Any help?
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

What engine(s) are you using? Did you use DM PC or CSBWin save file? CSBWin won't work with DM PC save files directly - they must be "resaved" via CSBuild.
wu tse
Apprentice

Post by wu tse »

I used DM PC save file, it was the last save of many saves i have. Is it easy to resave them?
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Yeah, it's quite simple (it was also explained by BW in one of the posts above):

1. Get the latest (2.51 I guess) CSBuild from http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/851

2. Run CSBuild, click File, Open, and open your savegame from DMPC (perhaps dmsave.dat). Ignore all the errors (*coughs*).

3. Now, as it is, save it in CSBuild into you CSBWin directory as csbgame.dat (for example). And exit CSBuild.

4. Now, it should all work - run CSBWin, Utility, csbgame.dat, Make new adventure 2x, save your game, exit CSBWin, run it again, Dungeon, Resume - and here you go! :)
wu tse
Apprentice

Post by wu tse »

I had followed the instructions of beowuuf but i couldn't do it. I tried again but when i click on File, there is only one option: exit. I have the right version of CSB, i don't know why it doesn't work as it should.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@wutse: Did you follow Jan's instructions above? It sounds like you have done things out of order?
wu tse
Apprentice

Post by wu tse »

I extracted the files from Clone-CSBwin-PC-ChaosStrikesBack-100 into a folder and i copied inside the dmsave.dat file. Then i clicked on .exe file, then File and i see only the exit option. When things like this happen i tend to never give up so i am willing to give it another shot.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Follow Jan's instructions 4 posts above this one -- it sounds like you haven't opened CSBUild or converted your save game yet.... CSBuild is not CSBWin. CSBuild is for creating and converting maps/savegames. CSBWin is for playing the game.
wu tse
Apprentice

Post by wu tse »

Sorry guys, i am not an expert in certain things related to pc, but in the dmweb page i don't see any CSBuild, only versions of CSBwin. Can you help me as where to find CSBuild?
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

The editor (CSBuild) has been engineered to read
almost any format of savegame. Big-endian.
Little-endian. PC. Atari. Old. New.
Then it writes the latest format for CSBwin.
If CSBuild cannot read your game then you
have cause to complain.

The runtime engine (CSBwin) is less adaptable
and expects a more particular format.

So loading the game with CSBuild and saving it
again changes the format to something CSBwin
can tolerate. IF the latest CSBwin cannot load
what the most recent CSBuild has saved then
you have cause to complain.

If I were you, I would get the most recent CSBuild
and CSBwin from my site:
http://www.dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/
wu tse
Apprentice

Post by wu tse »

I finally made it, thank you guys! I first used a version of CSBuild from January of 2011 as you mentioned Paul Stevens, but there was no .exe file in the folder, so i sticked to Jan's suggestion. It's time for slicing some worms again :) Do you think that mapping by hand would be easy in CSB? I mean, mapping quickly with a pencil as i move around. I know that this dungeon can be confusing at least.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I strongly suggest you map with pen and paper. IMHO, if you don't want to get your play spoiled by constant looking into various walkthroughs and internet maps, you must do three things:

1. Always try to map everything and take notes of all things you do. Of course, mapping is very hard, especially when you start, because you can get silently teleported to a totally different part of the dungeon without knowing it, you can map the same part of the dungeon twice, etc. But it's necessary if you want to succeed.

2. Consult the Hint Oracle as much as possible. I don't think using Hint Oracle is cheating - it was provided with the game and I think it's impossible to finish the game without it.

3. Be extremely patient and devote enough time to it.

Personally, it took me about one year (hundreds of hours) to finish CSB. I didn't use any external help, no walkthroughs, no internet, no nothing (it was the beginning of 90s and I had no internet and no friends knowing CSB), only my maps and the oracle.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

mapping by hand would be easy in CSB
Only if you know some of the secrets. If you
go at it cold, you will become mightily confused
for a while. I remember that I was.

But having any sort of a map....even partially
correct...will be a big help in discovering those
secrets.
wu tse
Apprentice

Post by wu tse »

I will consult the hint oracle and try to map in detail, i know it will take a long time till i finish this. But i will keep some maps in case they become much needed. I was confused enough in DM, so i think this is the right thing to do.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@PaulStevens: I thought the Hint Oracle doesn't work in CSBWin?